Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sliding door replacement with two large windows

Posted by ognend (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 18:50

Hello,

I live in South Florida and have a house with an annoying number of large sliding doors. One Sliding door is actually a three piece and is pretty much the length of the whole wall. It is a concrete home and because we are in a hurricane zone, I would like to replace the humongous sliding door with two large impact glass windows. I am OK with carpentry work but not with concrete work. Would it be unsafe to build a wood frame for the windows and attach it to the concrete wall sides (instead of using concrete block to build down the opening for the windows? After all, my french door is a wooden casing attached to concrete wall on both sides and the top.

Thanks!
OD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sliding door replacement with two large windows

That is actually the way it is done in a lot of areas. They use it as what is called "wood buck". It is attached using masonry anchors to the concrete an then the window is installed normally.

o
RE: Sliding door replacement with two large windows

Thank you. Would you elaborate on it - maybe I know what you are talking about but the name "wood buck" is something that does not ring a bell :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here