Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positively_patty

Beginner in windows - need help please

positively_patty
9 years ago

Please forgive me if I have already posted. I thought I had, but can't find that post.

This is my home. It was built in 1978. We do not plan to live here for a long time so we don't need or want the best, but we do want to be able to resell so we don't want fall apart stuff either. Besides the fact that the best just wouldn't be worth enough in the area.

We live in the Phoenix area. We're looking at replacing 11 windows and 5 exterior doors - 3 of which would be like one side of a french door set for the patio.

We want something energy efficient and can deal well with the heat. We've ruled out metal and wood.

We've debated on putting them in ourselves, but really don't want to as we have so many projects to do already - very little has been done to update the house.

Is putting in your own windows worth the cost? Does it take a lot of time and/or skill?

How does vinyl do in the heat? What am I looking for in low e?

We don't want people to be able to look in the garage (the 2 windows on the right) and see whether our cars are there or not. Suggestions for doing something about that and making the house look uniform?

Anything else that I need to think about?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

What is wrong with the current windows?

You, based on where you live, are going to want a very low range SHGC (Less than 0.20) given you climate and dominant cooling season.

Vinyl, if extremely well engineered, can make it in Phoenix.

Back to the first question...whats wrong with the current units and what are they made of?

• positively_patty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They really are not energy efficient to start with - metal and single pane. They are difficult to open.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Efficiency is the lesser concern to me as that could likely be help with an applied film given you climate.

Hard to open and otherwise uncooperative is another consideration altogether and if they are that old, parts are probably hard to locate and source.

• Window-Geek
    9 years ago

Yes, you can save a lot by doing the work yourself. Probably 50%.

I'm not a big vinyl fan. We are in the process now of replacing a hose full of a national brand vinyl window that have warped and buckled from heat. The windows were replaced once under the manufacturers warranty 5 years ago, and now we are tearing them out and going back with a different product.

Water is the biggest enemy of wood, any you live where it never rains.

Go with a light color fiberglass window with low-e or some brand of solar-E.

I'm not a fan of applied films. It voids the warranty of every window I know of. The film manufacturer will pick up the warranty, that creates another pain in the @$$ to deal with.

its not difficult to replace windows. The internet is loaded with videos and instructions. The most important thing is to order the right size. IF you size it correctly is a piece of cake.

• PRO
    9 years ago

If the windows are single pane, what warranty would it void?

I am not a hug fan of the films either, however, 3M does typically provide a warranty over and above the manufacturer's warranty on the glass.

• positively_patty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I'm overwhelmed with all I have to do here and it's nice to have help along the way.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

I'd also consider a film on your existing windows. You live in an extreme climate, so if you can't afford a very stoutly made window regardless of material, don't replace them at all.

• fenmaster
    9 years ago

I could get InLine Fberglass windows to you.
    They are not cheap but will meet your needs in every way.
    You can put obscure glass in the garage windows but I suggest blinds or shades on the inside of the garage.

theWindowNerd....