Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to check a seal between sash and frame

Posted by alex5600 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 18:37

Hello,
A contractor yesterday replaced a few casement sashes and I noticed several problems. In many places it looks like there in no good seal. I inserted a piece of paper between sash and frame and closed and locked the window. In some places the piece of paper just falls by itself. In others I can simply pull it out with no force at all. It that normal? What is the good way to check the seal between sash and the frame? These are wood sashes made as a replacement for Scherer brothers windows.

Thanks
Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to check a seal between sash and frame

That does not indicated good compression and while you don't need them clampling down like a vice, there should be enough tension between the two to keep a piece of paper from falling through.

o

Is there a bulb weatherstrip there (as there should be)?

o

Yes, there is an rubber weatherstrip. I meet with the contractor tomorrow to discuss these problems. What do you think the best ways to solve it?
I appreciate all your help and advices.

o

Without pictures it is impossible for us to tell. But my guess would be the sash hinges were not put in the proper place so I do not know how he could fix it with any certainty.

o

Today we had a meeting with the rep of Scherer Brothers. He checked all sashes and discovered that majority of them are warped or bowed. They told me they will fix it by replacing the bowed portions of the sash frame and reuse glass and the rest. They are going to do it not in the factory but directly in the house. What do you think about this approach?
Thanks.

o

It is certainly something that can be done at the home.

o

They're new sash and they arrived bowed and/or warped? Who is the manufacturer?

o

Original windows are Scherer Brothers and replacement sashes are manufactured by FarNorth http://www.farnorthwindows.com/
My concern is that if they have defective wood parts, how can I be sure that actual glass part and the seals are OK and can withstand Minnesota winters

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here