Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ankh_gw

Replacement Windows

ankh
16 years ago

My home is +/- 50 years old. I did an extensive remodel 4 years ago, which involved in new windows over a good portion of the house. I went with Marvin double casements, Low E II Argon, SDLs/am happy with them. One wing of the house had no work, and that side of the house retains its original Pellas (wood casements, either single or double pane, with storm window inserts). They work fine for the most part (quality must have gone down in recent years...), but in my Northern clime they simply lose a ton of heat (and coolness in summer). If I were to replace them all, it would be about 7 49x51" double casements, 2 24x54 casements, 2 24x72 casements, a triple window (2 opening casements, one fixed) about 78x51, a small awning-style window (25x39), and, if I went for exact replacements, one 6x6 picture window and one 5x5 picture window.

So, a few questions:

Can you do replacement windows for each of those?

Doing replacements preserves the interior trim, correct?

Is there any reason not to do them as "replacement windows"?

If I have Marvin everywhere else, would it just be a bad idea - aesthetically and value-wise - to go with another manufacturer for these, assuming you could find similar/identical styling?

If I could deviate from Marvin, is Andersen the most logical choice?

Who else would be close enough in quality to be okay in the same house? (I am having nightmares remembering the costs of these things....)

Should you do them all at once/what is the installation process like?

Can you use replacement windows if you will change the configuration - say I wanted to replace the picture windows that are flanked with casements with 4 or 5 casements (combo opening and fixed)?

All this is assuming that replacements are less expensive - is that correct?

Can anyone tell me ballpark what I'd be looking at paying to buy and install - call it 22 casement windows for simplicity? In Minnesota.

Comments (5)

• galefarm
    16 years ago

I will try to answer some of the questions for you here

Most replacement windows are in a double hung configuration so you may be doing some searching to get an in sash replacement for a casement window

Replacement windows do preserve the interior trim as well as the exterior of the house as they are just taking out the old sashes and putting a frame within the frame

Not doing them as a replacement window could be determined by a few factors. such as the quality of the rough opening the exterior siding, the interior trim, the look you are going after. There are several installers out there who have been very successful doing full frame replacements without destroying your interior trim however exterior trim work would become necessary

No it would not be bad to look at other manufacturer of windows several manufacturers make similar styles. Even though Pella gets a thorough bashing in this forum they are still a good quality window, Andersens are okay also. You have to look at the distributor in the area and try to find customers of any brand you consider and ask them of their experiences.

I have many customers who do their windows in sections starting with the most used rooms then working their way around the house in sections as money permits

Replacement windows are not necessarily less expensive than full frame replacements there are many factors that affect the price. The best way yo determine what is best for you is to shop around and get quotes in different configurations

• guy_exterior_man
    16 years ago

There are two options in windows replacements. Which ever method you choose shouldn't cause to much grief. One method is much easier than the other and costs less. The easier method is known as an "Insert Window". This method involves the removal of your old sashes and sometimes your stops. We leave the existing frame and casing in place. Most of the better installers will remove the interior casing (trim) and re-insulate the existing wall cavity with todays low expansion foam. We do it all the time. It offers a much better result when we are finished. The insert slide back inside the original frame and screws in place. We replace old broken stops if needed or re-apply good existing ones. The outside is then usually capped with aluminum to make the unit maintenance free. We will do this with any type of window, sliders, double or single hungs, casements, and awning units.

The "Full Frame Replacement" or "Total Replacement" requires the removal of the entire existing unit. We strip it down to the wall studs leaving nothing from the original window. If we use vinyl windows we can get them made to any size we want. Getting the wood interior windows to match existing sizes can sometimes be a hassle. Marvin & Pella are usually pretty good on getting sizes to match. Andersen's Eagle line is another great choice. We can get the new windows to match up to the original inside casing around 90% of the time. The other 10% will require new casing. The exterior side will get a snap on brickmould to fit back in the old space or we custom bend capping to fill the void. In most cases you could never tell we've replaced the windows.

A good installer will be able to order your windows to fit almost perfectly. You just have to find one to make it work. Good Luck!!!

• ankh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks very much, both of you! Once I stop hyperventilating at the prospect of the damage/fixing back up that will be required (I just painted my house last summer!), I may approach this sometime soon. Any insight on cost?

• afsa
    16 years ago

At some point this spring Marvin is introducing there "Casement Insert Window" (basically a wood replacement window) in the northeast, I would assume that they would be introducing it around the country shortly thereafter.

• ankh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, afsa. I've seen them on their website & am in MN so possibly being local they've rolled them out here. But I saw in your other posts you've sold windows on Long Island for a long time. Given I have Marvin in 65% of the house, are there other, less expensive alternatives you would suggest for these other >20 windows? One other point - I need windows with 1 1/8" mullions/grills (I have SDLs with spacers, but I suppose these wouldn't have to have the spacers), not just the 7/8" or 3/4" I see more often.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting