Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solaresj_gw

Pgt Solarban 60 Low E windows

solaresj
10 years ago

My name is Julie I am in the process of building a house in the keys. I received the windows a few days ago. We ordered PGT solarban 60 Low E in clear tint windows . When they started installing them the view from the inside out is perfect but from the outside looking at the house, all of the windows look pink violet. I am total devastated !!!!! It's like reflection or glare that is given off from the windows. When we chose them we were given a sample that was 8X 8 and we saw no violet reflection at all and I even took the sample
outside to check. Something must be wrong ,Help!
Julie

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Nothing is wrong Solarban 60 Clear will have a slight tint to it, although not certain I would call it violet.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Are they laminated glass windows?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Ah yes oberon, laminated glass. I am certain they will be as she states "The Keys" which to me means "Impact Rated" and laminated glass which is where the pink comes in with the quite thick .090 interlayer as that will be large missile country.

• solaresj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they are thick since they are impact resistant. I never expected the violet reflection to be there. Since it was never on the sample they showed me and never mentioned to me, that this could happen. Big problem!

• oberon476
    10 years ago

My thought as well, millworkman.

Julie,

I am going to assume that the coating is between the two lites of the laminated glass rather than as part of an IG unit. Two reasons, first since you are in the Keys, and as millworkman alluded to, you probably don't have an IG to start with. You are more than likely dealing with monolithic lami glass.

Second, some dual silver LowE coatings, SB60 being one, tend to turn purple (at least it looks purple to me) when placed inside a laminated lite. Interestingly, the color is normally only visible from one side of the glass - depending on which lite in the laminate has the coating. The other side will look more or less normal often depending on lighting and viewing angle.

As a rule, the refractivity of a LowE coating is going to be influenced by where and how the coating is being used.

Basically a LowE coating designed to be clear when used in an IG airspace might react differently when used in a laminated lite - it may no longer be clear - it may be a bright and pretty color other than clear.

Because this is not an unknown phenomenon to coating folks, some LowE providers have designed slightly different versions of their coatings depending on whether the coating will be inside an IG facing an airspace or being used inside a laminate, or they may simply not offer a particular coating inside laminated glass, or they may even reengineer the coating so that it can be used in either an airspace or in a laminate.

While Solarban 70XL (triple silver) is an example of a coating that can be used in either application, as I recall, I cnn't remember if that is true of SB 60 or not.

But, based on your description of the color, I am going to guess that the SB60 "version" in your laminated glass may fall under the "cannot-be-used-in-laminated-glass-or-it-will-display-as-a-color" category. Again I am just guessing, but your description definitely points in that direction.

Since PGT manufactures both IG and mono-lami glass for their windows, it occurs to me that they MAY bring in two different variants of the SB 60 coating - one for IG and one for lami.

If so, it may be possible that in the manufacturing process the folks who cut the glass for manufacture as either lami or as IG may have inadvertently used the wrong version in your laminated glass.

Again I am only guessing, but since PGT is one of the very few window companies who also run a laminated glass line (I can only think of two other's off the top of my head), I would suspect that such a mix-up is certainly possible.

Again again, since all this is predicated on the assumption that there really ARE two different versions of SB 60, my first question to PGT if I were you would be to ask if that is a possible scenario.

If you call them directly and mention the color shift I very much suspect that their quality people will know exactly what you are talking about..

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Well said Oberon.

• solaresj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for this detailed explanation . Yes I do understand what could have gone wrong. After looking at the stickers that came on the windows .They are all laminated and it just so happens that one window came in different, I believe it could have been due to the DP calculation of
    that window. That window has , what they call airspace. Which I assume is not a laminate. That specific window looks totally different from the others. It doesn't not have the violet pink reflection. So it is possible that there was a mix up in the type of laminate that was used. Maybe Solarban 60 has different coatings used depending on laminate vs IGU . But still concerned till PGT solves the problem !!,

• Wendy Tamaccio
    8 years ago

I've been researching windows for weeks and finally decided on the 60 instead of 70 because it was less green and now I just read this and I am in a panic! Lol

what was the outcome with PGT?

• millworkman
    8 years ago

All clear glass will have a slight tint (unless Low Iron) in fact SB70 will be a darker color than the SB60.

• summerdonne
    7 years ago

Hello. I just found this post and am dealing with an issue of purple iridescent mirrored low-e laminated glass. on a historic house.

I was never given a glass sample like you were. What was the outcome of your research and how was it resolved? Did the purple come off when the windows were washed or is embedded in the glass and needed to be replaced??