Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmotz

Choosing a Low e Glass Option

swmotz
11 years ago

I REALLY like my light. So, although I know it only makes sense to get Low e glass, I'm concerned. Then I found out about
Low e 180 (I think we're getting Infinity windows). We live in St. Louis Mo.

1. Does Low e 180 look more like normal glass from the outside of the house, or does it look darker than Low e 272?

2. Does Low e 180 reflect the same amount as 272 or more when looking at the window from the outside?

3. When I compared the 180 to the 272 in the store, I could see a definite difference. Is that same difference actually experienced with a full window? (I was just looking at/through the little pieces of glass).

4. If someone is very sensitive to nuances, will they actually see the difference in amount of light and amount of green tint between the 180 and 272?

5. Does is matter whether I put the Low e 180 on surface 2 or surface 3? I would think I'd want it on surface 2 so it would reflect more heat away from the house. Will this affect how the tint of the glass is perceived from the inside and outside of the house?

6. I've reconciled myself to getting Low e 272 on the two southern windows we have. I don't look out of those windows very much. With the southern exposure in low e 272, should I be able to detect a differece in the amount of heat that accumulates in the house in the summer? Right now when we have days that are over 95 degrees I have to keep the shades closed in order for the air conditioner to keep up.

Thanks so much. You guys are awesome. So much knowledge! Stephanie

Comments (6)