Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rusting Lintels

Posted by rdonchez (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:20

I am replacing windows in the next month or so. On my existing windows I note that some of the lintels are starting to rust a bit. They aren't terrible but could use a painting/rust remover. I was wondering if its worth it for me to pain them before the windows get installed. Specifically, is there a recommended product to remove the rust/prime the lintels before painting if so? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rusting Lintels

Wire brush then Rustoleum red oxide primer 2 coats and they should be fine.

o

Just like Millworkman said...good prep, primer, and paint.

o

I much prefer the conversion coatings that dissolve the rust and them form a primer base for paint (using the iron from the now dissolved rust).

They work very well on lightly rusted things like lintels.

If there is so much rust it is flaking off, you need to remove the loose rust and then use the coating.

o

I've used this product:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rust Converter

o

Are there specific conversion products that are recommended? Also, is it advised to first strip the existing pain from the lintels as well?

Lastly, it appears there is some rust on the top part of the lintel - that contacts the brick. I obviously can't get in there to paint that. Should I try to spray anything into the gap? Or just leave it be? Thanks.

o

Anyone have any thoughts on whether there is anything I can do to prime the top part of the lintel that contacts the brick?

o

I would not concern yourself with it as it will not be easy and taking it apart to prime may prove to be a disaster.

o

+1

Don't even worry about it. Even if you could, the brick would very likely knock the paint off.

Just clean, prime and paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here