Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing a casement window

Posted by housenewbie (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 16:15

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be redoing the kitchen and want to replace the window above the sink. It's an old single-pane double casement window, 38" wide by 37" high (measured from jamb to jam). Now, there's also a wooden piece in the middle. So I'm not sure if this piece is supposed to come out or if I shd be looking for 2 single windows instead.

I got a quote from Lowe's for an Atrium-Reliabilt, but am getting confused in trying to look up the company and learn about replacement windows in general. There are those who say never to go w/ the big box stores because they do low-quality work. On the other hand, we're not replacing all the windows--only 1. So it seems like a lot of trouble to try to find local contractors to come out and do a bid, and I frankly doubt we'd get much interest for a ~$350 window.

So, anyone have any opinions on replacement window brands? Does the center thing that the window locks are on get removed when putting in a new window, or does it mean I get 2 smaller winsows instead of one big one? Is this something I can do myself? I've re-tiled the bathtub and built a simple pergola in the backyard.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing a casement window

It sounds like you have what is called a twin casement
window, One opens to the left and the other to the right.
In window replacement terms it is considered (1) twin casement. The vertical piece you see in the center is removed, creating a complete opening. The new twin casement will fit right into the same opening.
I agree that Lowes or similar big box store would be ok for just one window.

All the best,

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here