Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat81_gw

Ply Gem vinyl windows

kat81
10 years ago

So we are building a new home on a tight budget. The sales rep that we called recommended PLY Gem PREMIUM SERIES 1000 double hung windows ...He said they are energy and budget efficient...Are they good or not?

This post was edited by kat81 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 15:56

Comments (6)

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a link to their website

Here is a link that might be useful: ply windows website

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

They are good. There are more eneygy efficient windows out there but typically come with a bit higher price tag. Weather they are budget effecient or not really depends on your your sales rep or contractors pricing.This is an upper mid range window that is only a step or two from some of the high end vinyl windows.What other brands are available to you?

• kassikolo
    10 years ago

we can choose any brand..we will get a good deal on ply gem through our builder....we live in Oklahoma, what other brands are reliable without breaking a budget?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Where are you located?
    Not a bad product, but you may very well be able to get a better performer for the price. Definitely better than most builder grade choices.
    The fact that you are actually researching windows in your new home building process puts you miles ahead of most folks, so do it right and do more research. Compare u-values, air infiltration, and design pressure ratings. For reference, the top products get .25-.28 u-value with double pane, DP of 50+, and air infiltration as low as .01cfm. The Plygem Premium is .19 which is actually below average as vinyl windows go.
    I have installed a lot of them over the years and they are solidly designed, (they were formally Great Lakes Grandview) they just don't have very tight tolerances imo. Upgrade to the stainless spacer if you do opt for that product.

• kassikolo
    10 years ago

what other brands for same price that you suggest in Oklahoma ?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Didn't see Oklahoma... Plygem has different offering for the East and West, so the first thing that I'd do, is find out which "region" you are considered. West would seem to be the obvious choice, but its worth checking. If it is indeed West, I'm afraid to say that I have no familiarity with that product, so I would fall back on referencing the performance ratings that I mentioned above. HiMark and Okna are not out there, but you may have Polaris, Softlite, and Sunrise which are all very good. You most certainly have Simonton which is not on the same level of performance as those other three, but is a solid option nonetheless.