Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommark_gw

Help Choosing Marvin Integrity or Sunrise Restorations

mommark
10 years ago

We are replacing all of our windows and doors in our 2 story home. We have had Pella, Marvin, and Sunrise come out to give us quotes. We have since decided we are not using Pella, just too many negative reviews on their windows.
Here is our dilemma, if we go with the Marvin integrity, they will be casement windows (which we currently have), with wood on the inside (which is not stained, we either have to pay someone to do this or we will have to take on this task) or Sunrise, the Restoration series (sliding ) which will be vinyl.
Which ones would be best? We live in MI and our winters are cold and very long here.
Marvin is actually cheaper but for our front door they use ThermaTru doors, and don't know much about them. Sunrise uses Provia doors, and they are very expensive.
At this point, I am leaning towards Sunrise, just due to the fact that the windows will be maintenance free.

Comments (8)

• mommark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have prices, the Sunrise windows plus a front door, a 6 ft. patio door and a 9 ft patio door is $26,446.
    For the Marvin Integrity, wood inside/fiberglass outside was around $24,000.
    Does this seem unreasonable?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we would like to make our decision very soon.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

The Sunrise is the better performer and of course it's maintenance free. The Marvin Integrity with wood interior is an extremely attractive window with a durable exterior of fiberglass that will hold up well.

Both are great choices, and since the pricing is fairly close, it really just comes down to the product you prefer and the contractor you feel most comfortable with. You've looked at two good products and eliminated the low-end junk so you can't make a bad choice here.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Good advice from Ultra. Two very good windows, each fitting a different project goal. If the beauty and richness of real wood interior is paramount, the Integrity is a nice choice. If low maintenance, performance, and warranty are more important, than the Sunrise is probably the better option.

• mommark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Anything on the Therma Tru doors? The cost is almost $2,000 less than the Provia door.

• mommark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, another question. Which are better casement windows or sliding windows?
    We have casements now and we aren't crazy about them, but I am sure it's due to the fact that they are the original windows from 1986.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

Casements are much tighter and have better performance ratings than sliders. I have also heard complaints about the sliding track collecting "stuff" which you don't have with a casement.

• mommark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks eastbay10. Who knew that choosing what style of windows and manufacturer could be so daunting.

Do you know anything about Therma Tru doors?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The Sunrise " restorations" is going to be a much better performer in terms of energy efficiency and air tightness than the marvin; its evident by the ratings on each window.
    As far as doors, the Provia is more expensive for a reason, its built/ designed much better than the Thermatru. Provia is known as one of a hand full of elite doors. thermatru is more of just an average type product. The thermatru steel doors are garbage in my opinion.
    Provia is well worth the extra cost. In 10 years, you will be glad you did.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 10:25