Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
draymentb_gw

Custom Slider Doors onto Deck

draymentb
12 years ago

I'm looking to put custom sized slider doors onto my deck. The rough opening is 10'-2.25" wide by 7'-5.75" high.

I have contacted Kolbe who can provide a wood frame and they want 12k, not including install. Panda, which I found on the internet with no bona fides, quoted 7k for an aluminum frame. I'm reaching out to Fleetwood and Quantum as well but I'm afraid they are going to be 10k plus.

Any recommendations on other manufacturers? Any design alternative recommendations?

Attempted embed:

{{!gwi}}

Hyperlink:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111091334523725094210/albums/5732450597676856993?authkey=CMe4trTW3oqZ5gE

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

What material does it have to be or are you not married to one material vs. another?

• draymentb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The preference is for an exterior clad douglas fir but we could got with all aluminum. Pretty flexible considering the challenges and costs.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Depends on were you are located in the U.S.

Are most quoting a 3 panel door?

• draymentb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in San Francisco. . . Eagle, IWP, Fleetwood can only do 3 panel.

• highport
    12 years ago

12,000.00 is way too much to pay for a Clad Fir Sliding Door. Unless there is something i am missing, that door should be in the 5,000.00 range. A Fiberglass door(some will not do custom sizes) about the same. Vinyl & Aluminum even less. A lot of options out there, including 3 or 4-panel, Narrow or Wide stile & rail, Single or Multi-point Lock, Etc. Glass Options are many. Find the Best installer you can, for installation is critical to Operation. Good Luck

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

I don't know of a single manufacturer that will make a 2 panel 10' door. One reason is each panel would be extremely heavy and they likely don't feel they could warrant a door that large. I also don't know why any consumer would want a door that heavy.

Why not put in a 4'door in with 2 12" sidelites?

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

That's a custom width and standard height. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get that in the 5K - 6k ballpark as mentioned above, barring high end options of various sorts. No company will make that with a 2 panel. But you have plenty of room at over 10 ft to have a 3 panel with over 3 ft panels. This would be a little bigger than a standard panel in the most common size door out there, 6 ft.

Marvin will make custom sizes, might be a bit more expensive. And I'm sure there are other companies as well. It will be special order and take a while to get made, but it's entirely doable. Infinity is an option with all fiberglass and Everwood interior. But keep looking. You will find what you want and it can be done.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

You mean: no manufacture that you know of who makes wood doors will make a 2 panel 10' sliding door. right?

Because I know of at least 1 that will make it in vinyl or aluminum.

Would I sell one to a customer, sure, if they REALLY wanted it and they would have to sign a waiver, and install would probably be as much as the door. But they make it.

Back to the topic.

You definitively should be able to find someone that makes a wood clad or aluminum 3 panel door that is around 5k.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

You can get a 2 panel door in that width but it would need to be a lift and slide and it would cost you considerably more than 5K for certain.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Mill, what is a lift n slide? Not sure I've ever seen one of those.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

This will show easier than I can explain.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• millworkman
    12 years ago

The door sits down hard against the low profile track. Hardware is generally long handle that act usually raises the door off the rollers so it slides the when in position (either open or shut) the hardware lowers the door to the track ad the panel actually site directly on the floor creating the seal. The track generally has drainage manufactured right in the track. Here is a better example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panda Lift and Slide

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The reason they slide so easy is because you are strong from working the 2nd and 3rd jobs to pay for them.....

Just kidding.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I do not recommend a custom door. Is there a need for a screen?
    Take the extra $$ you would spend on custom and make a standard 10-0 X 7-0 door fit. Custom sliding doors are trouble.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Why is a custom slider trouble?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Jumpilotmdm,

10' x 7' is not a standard size door neither in width or height.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

These sliders are not lift and slide.

And I don't know why a custom size slider would be trouble either.