Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

Opinions: Quality of Marvin Integrity versus Wincore 7700

leennp
10 years ago

Hello,
We live in Louisiana, inland, not coastal, and are considering replacing all of the single pane aluminum windows in our 1970's brick house. We would prefer the look of clad wood windows, but have been told by the Anderson/Weathershield/Marvin dealer in town that we should go with the Marvin Integrity window due to the sizes of the windows for brick/aluminum replacement, that the cost for custom sizing would be excessive in anything other than the Integrity window which is all custom sized. Would go with the Wood/Ultrex Integrity if we go that route. The only other quality window install company I have found in town sells/installs Wincore windows, which are of course vinyl and not fiberglass, but have not found that many reviews of the Wincore 7700 line, so I am not sure how to compare them with the Integrity. The costs are significantly different between the two of course, with the Marvin's about 75% more than the Wincore, Is the Wincore that poor of a window? According to warranty, is a life time warranty, which is actually longer than Marvin.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

The Marvin Integrity wood/ultrex window is a nice product and very attractive, but it's also quite pricey. Great choice for hot/humid climates where a homeowner wants the look of real wood windows without the rotting issues .

The Wincore 7700 is a mid-grade vinyl window, comparable with Simonton.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

More comparable to Simonton than you would believe....!!!

Medium grade vinyl in the case of the Wincore. Are there better units, absolutely. Is it a solid window, yes as well.

A bit high on the air leakage side of things and a bit bulky on the look but otherwise an okay window.

• DHam007
    9 years ago

I saw this post, and based upon what you said, I have a strong feeling that we are likely in the same area of Louisiana. I was wondering if you ended up going with the Wincore, and if so, if you're satisfied. If we're not talking about the same situation it's extremely similar. We really, really like the Wincore rep/company, and we like but don't love the windows. We looked at Marvin, but weren't really sold on the all ultrex, nor the price. We actually prefer vinyl for the warranty, but we did like the rep. We spoke with softlite, but they don't have a rep here. We also did find someone fairly nearby for sunrise. We were excited about the windows, but not the rep/company at all. So we're kind of stuck it appears with a great install company and a window we're more luke warm on. We'd be sold if they were selling the sunrise, which unfortunately they are not.

We were just wondering if you went with wincore in the end and how they've worked out if you did.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

I'd opt for sash reinforcement on the vinyl if available. It is cheap insurance and a cheap upgrade. Not sure of the all the performance numbers but most mid grade vinyl are better than Marvin which have average DP ratings and below average air infiltration numbers.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

DHam, kudos to you on a spot on assessment of your options so far. Win core is "ok" if the price is right, as you said, like it, not love it. Personally I'd lean more toward indifferent. The spiel on Ultrex and its VAST superiority over vinyl is also a bunch of you know what, although it you want a wood interior the wood/Ultrex variation is a nice option. On Sunrise, their higher end lines are indeed very good, but I would definitely think twice about using a dealer that you don't trust. Again, excellent assessment of the situation so far, you have not fallen victim to any salesmanship. Unfortunately, there is not a clear choice on where to go from here... Look for another Sunrise dealer perhaps? Unless the dealer you spoke to has a monopoly on your market, they usually have a few dealers in any given area with slightly different product offerings. You can also search Restorations and Vanguard which are "branded" Sunrise models. If no luck, try PGT, they are pretty highly regarded down south and may serve your area.

• DHam007
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. The sunrise we looked at was actually the v-grade or something, essentially I think the vanguard level (I think), but branded for Owens-Corning (made by sunrise). Looked to be a great, great window. Definitely got a lot of the salesmanship for those, which was part of the issue. I think they were the exclusive for the area, but tried the regional sunrise guy who originally put me in touch with the other dealer and haven't heard back. This is also not a great sign to me.

Maybe you guys could help me on this. Would it be likely that sunrise might provide the windows to an installer that carries only another line, and then the installers actually be willing to install them? I don't want to be a jerk customer, but if I could get the installer for the wincores to install one of the sunrise lines and get the best of both worlds, that would be a huge win. The guys with the wincore have impeccable reviews, literally, and we really liked them. The price was what we considered very fair too. We just kind feel like if there was a way to get the other windows with the same installers if it wasn't double the price (and my impression is that sunrise is more, but not that much more) then we'd like to go that route, as long as the warranty stays. I'm concerned about getting a great price on a decent product and kinda having a "meh" feel and remorse that we didn't go for a higher end. That said, we want to do business with a/the group we feel comfortable with too. I'd appreciate any advice or insights from those in the field on this one.

Never heard of PGT, but i can look into them. Thanks.

• PRO
    9 years ago

The Vanguard was the model.

Sunrise will only sell to certified installers so you have to get it from one of those guys or not at all.

Like HomeSealed said, try another dealer in the are and see if you don't get a better. At the end of the day, you buy windows once (hopefully) so get the best window that you can and want.

That is a tough spot you are in with the Wincore dealer. Great company but the window doesn't seem to match the company in terms of performance.

See if they have other lines that they deal in too.

• DHam007
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, they don't carry any other lines. They do wincore, the 5400 or the 7700. That's all. It's really disappointing. I don't know if they are not interested or what, but their reviews are so good that I can't imagine a window company not wanting to work with them.

The V-class was what we saw, and the guy said it was basically a vanguard with a few upgrades standard that was given to their company as an alternative to another local installers sunrise line. He also had poor things to say about that rep that sold the vanguard line. So I don't know what that means, but I suppose there's likely to be one other in the area at least.

As you said, I'd like to do this just once. I do hope to get the better window, but I'm not willing to risk a bad install or experience to get it. That's unfortunate that they won't sell to other installers, but I do understand it. I don't suppose the V-Class being a private label (for owens-corning, by sunrise) might skirt that or some other quality line under a different name by sunrise might?

I checked out the PGT. They appear a bit bulky in the frame (which is one of our main concerns with the wincore) and seem to be big on impact resistance (and I'd guess a commensurate price), which we really don't need.Softlite's a year plus off from having a presence.

So I guess I'm probably going with wincore unless the regional rep comes through with another name quickly. Either that or nothing, which I really don't like either.

• PRO
    9 years ago

If he is saying poor things about his competitor, it is probably just cheesy salesmanship or at least that is what it is most of the time.

V-Class (I am ultimately not familiar with it) sounds like a jazzed up private label program to a certain extent.

Trust you gut and if you are okay with the Wincore window, it should serve you well.

• DHam007
    9 years ago

Yea, I'm guessing the gut test is fine for the installer, but I'm still not sure what it's saying for wincore in general. Now that I've got the knowledge of the better options, I'm not sure I can be okay with the lesser. Maybe I'll have to be, given the situation.

FYI, the v-class site: www.vclasswindows.com.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Looks identical to the Vanguard line. Just the typical game that some manufacturers play. Seems like Sunrise is starting to go to the extreme with it though.