Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdunnam_gw

Are there any sliding windows w/ a DP rating of 60 or above?

Vdunnam
12 years ago

We were trying to put sliding windows on a room in a beach house we are building that will also function as a screen porch. This would allow us to open up the room as much as possible. Are there any vinyl sliding windows that have a DP rating over 60? We have not found any and are having to go w/ casements, but it is not our first preference.

Comments (10)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I can't think of a single manufacturer that makes sliders with that high a DP rating. I'm not even sure if it is technologically possible. Considering the high air infiltration and water penetration that is inheirent with slider windows, why would you even want to use that style? Some of the better casements have a rating as high as DP70.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Casements, by design, will have a better air infiltration and most likely better DP rating.

I cannot think of a slider with a DP rating of 60 off the top of my head but there are Sliding Glass doors with DP ratings of 60 so it is not unfathomable.

DP 40/45 is good to a 150mph wind.

Are you sure you don't require an impact window?

• david_cary
    12 years ago

As someone who is building at the beach with a screened in porch, your question interests me.

But a slider was not even in my list of possibilities. I've had a screened porch before and find that I just open the door as that is easier and a larger surface area than a window. If I wanted more area, casement would be the way to go - casement has twice the open area than slider or double hung.

I've got a few casement now and casement is the bomb. They are the windows I go to open since they are so easy to open. Just a thought.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Innotech makes tilt and turns that have DP ratings of 100 with extremely low air infiltration rates as well.

There are plenty of choices out there.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

I know you asked for a vinyl sliding window but I thought you should know that Marvin's new wood clad Ultimate slider has a DP 50 rating up to a 6050 XO/OX and a 6046 XX. It decreases when you approach the maximum size of 6060.
    If you go and look at the window, you will also see another feature that may prove attractive and that is the ease in which the sliding panel(s) remove from the interior. On the XX window, you could remove them leaving the screens in place and truly have your screened porch. Good luck

• PRO
    12 years ago

Would you put an aluminum clad window in a coastal environment?

The original poster specifically inquired about vinyl.

I love the Marvin product but I don't think this was a situation that required its recommendation.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

WOW - I prefaced my comments by acknowledging that they asked for vinyl windows but Marvin is used on the water quite often. See below:

http://dailycatch.coastalliving.com/2011/04/2011s-ultimate-beach-house-your-window-to-the-world.html

• PRO
    12 years ago

I realize that you prefaced your comment, that does not change the fact that you did not answer any part of the poster's question.

I will reference my previous question. Would you recommend a clad window in a salt water application over a fiberglass window or another window that does not require a cladding?

I would always prefer a window that was not clad if I had that option.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I agree. Clad windows in a costal setting is a disaster waiting to happen. And it will happen. I'd stick with fiberglass or vinyl for the longest life, best energy efficiency and least amount of maintenence.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

It should be noted that not all coastal houses are the same. I checked out that "ulitimate beach" house and it is not at all built like it would be on a real exposed coast. It is pretty well protected compared with what I am used to. It doesn't look like it is in a flood zone.

Being on the water is certainly not the same everywhere. There is protected water and there is barrier islands. When huge waves are crashing 50-100 feet off of a house it is different than building on a bay.

I'm not saying I would use clad on a bay either but plenty of people use it on oceanfront barrier islands here. Doesn't necessarily make it a good idea...