Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Exterior Kitchen door with window Los Angeles

Lars
11 years ago

I need to replace the exterior door from the kitchen, and I want to keep a window in it that will open and close. The one I have now is pretty good, except that it is falling apart on the outside; i.e., wood is flaking off. I only found one door at Home Depot that fits my requirements, but they want over $800 just for installation. I wouldn't mind paying more for the door, but I would rather pay less for the installation. I installed a new exterior door to my garage, and so I know that it is not that difficult or take that much time, but that was a simply wood door that I could cut to size and paint.

I would consider installing the door myself if I could find one, but I have not had much luck finding a door with a window that opens and closes. DB wants someone else to install it, and I do not like the HD door enough.

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Go to a lumber yard, stay away from HD and Lowes. Therma Tru makes exactly what your looking for.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had checked out Therma Tru and did not see any doors with windows that open. Like most web sites, they divide the doors into entry doors and patio doors, neither of which describes what I want. I am talking about a side door - not a major entry door.

I checked HD website, and the doors I want are called "Storm Doors" for some reason, but storms are very rare where I live. I would prefer wood over aluminum, but maybe that is not a good idea. When it does rain here, the side door swells and gets stuck, which may have contributed to its demise. The side door I have now is wood with a double hung window, which I like.

I would like to stay away from HD and Lowes, but I have not seen what I am looking for elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storm Door from HP

• triciae
    11 years ago

Lars,

Have you considered a Dutch door?

I love them!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Doors

• millworkman
    11 years ago

See below

Here is a link that might be useful: Therme Tru Door with venting window

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that link! I was able to configure the door I want with screened vented lites, which I hope are double hung, like the ones I have now. They also gave locations where I can buy it besides Lowe's, although the closest is Lowe's. There are two suppliers at Pico & Sepulveda in WLA that I can go to, and so I will check them out shortly, provided they have Saturday hours. The installation video I watched said that stucco houses are the most difficult for door installation, and so I hope I can get someone to do it for a reasonable price.

I like Dutch Doors, but they would not give me the kind of window I want, and I do not want to add a screen door on the outside because it would have to be hung on the opposite side of the door in order to make egress efficient. I had that same problem in Venice.

The installation video shows the door with attached framing, and I was hoping that would not be necessary. I guess that goes with the fiberglass material, and I would have preferred wood, but may fiberglass is a better choice, since it would not warp.

BTW, the main reason I shop at HD is that it is less than a mile from my house and is therefore extremely convenient. When I lived in Venice, I always went to B&B Hardware in Culver City, but that is now 7 miles from my house. There is a lumber yard less than two miles from me, but it is not open on Saturday, or else I would go there more often.

Thanks for your help!

Lars

• Button Watkins
    10 years ago

I am also looking for a kitchen door a window with a disappearing window screen. The closest I can find is a dutch door by chiproducts.com. I'm starting to realize that perhaps exterior doors can't have hollow areas where the glass can drop into like a Larson Screen Away Storm door.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks