Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvin Sliding Glass Door - Pine vs. Fir Interior

Posted by alwaysfixin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 14:19

I am buying the Marvin Sliding French Door to replace an old sliding door. I am trying to decide whether to choose the Douglas Fir upgrade or stay with the standard Pine interior. The cost difference is about $400. Is the Doug Fir worth it? Or is the Pine just fine? Is the difference between them just in appearance? Is the durability of Douglas Fir that much better than Pine? Any advice or recs would be appreciated. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvin Sliding Glass Door - Pine vs. Fir Interior

The real question is whether you are going to paint or stain. Fir stains up much nicer than pine. If you are painting, I would go for the pine. Also, Marvin has two fir interiors. The vertical grain is substantially more than the mixed grain. However if you buy the mixed grain, the panels are vertical so that is a plus! Good luck!

o

Eastbay10 - thanks for your response. I was going back and forth on the paint or stain question, but now I think I am going to paint. The room that the sliding glass door is in already has wood floor, cherry bookcase and walnut desk, so don't want to add yet another wood. I'll likely paint the same color as the wood trim around the door. So thanks for the advice that pine would be a better choice for painting.

I read an old thread (can't find it now) where a poster said douglas fir for a sliding glass door is a much better choice for strength, stability, and durability. That poster seemed to feel that fir should always be chosen over pine if fir is available. So I am a bit torn now.

o

Awwww, Tedi0555, I was all set to choose the Pine. I am going to be painting the wood, and my installer (who's been installing Marvin for 20 years) said essentially the same as what Eastbay10 wrote above. Furthermore, the salesman for the Marvin sliding french door also told me pine would be the better choice if I am painting, and I know he stands to make less commission if I don't get the upgrade to fir!

My installer and the salesman agreed that fir, as you said, is more durable and stable. However, they both said it would likely take 12-15 years for those differences from pine to become apparent. I figured that I don't know where I'll be 12-15 years from now; maybe in this house, maybe not. So I think I'll go with the pine.

Anyone else want to convince me one way or the other? I am pulling the trigger on this order on Monday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here