Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkbum_gw

Marvin Integrity Windows - Pics and review

lkbum_gw
12 years ago

We are doing new construction on a south facing lake lot. Lot's of windows and a very agonizing search for windows. After hours and hours, we decided on Marvin Integrity (wood/ultrex). We wanted low maintenance, but did not want clad windows.

We purchased the windows from AVI in Atlanta, our sales rep was Peter Diehl. Absolutely the best sales and service. We went through 20 to 25 iterations and he never lost patience. We had a minor problem once installed and Peter arranged for a Marvin Rep to come by who fixed them, no questions asked. The Marvin Rep was also first class (used a laser level to check installation and identify the problem).

This is "high end" construction and the windows really add to the project. The windows have been in for 8 months and stood up well to construction traffic/hazards. I would reccomend these windows and Marvin to anyone.

Interior shot of great room windows - double outswing french with side panels, flanked by fixed panels 8' tall

Same windows from the outside

Same windows with doors open - 5' wide opening

Same doors, different location on house

Double casement with grill at top

Double casement with grill in brick

Outswing french - no side panels

Casement with arch top

Casement with archtop exterior

Simulated Grill with spacer (the spacer makes these look really good)

Stained casement

{{!gwi}}

One last shot of the great room

Comments (34)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Beautiful looking home, and i would say in addition to a good choice in brand of windows, very nice choice of design and type of windows used!

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

Fantastic. Love the interior wood moldings. Very classy. Awesome configurations as well. Absolutely love it.

• toddinmn
    12 years ago

Very nice, those should keep the cabin nice and cozy.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Can't add much that has not been said. Good choice, beautiful result :)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

+1

Very lovely.

Beautiful home.

I wish someone had specified a steel roof for that home to match the impressiveness of the rest of the home.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. I designed and spec'ed 95% of the house. The builder Cunningham and Associates in Dawsonville, Ga is responsible for all the trim. I did toy with a steel roof. As with the windows, after much angst went with the Arch Shingles (don't know the brand off the top of my head). Cost a little more than steel. The following photo's don't do the roof justice, but it fit pretty well.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Looks like a Certainteed Presidential.

The steel equivalent would have been something like a Decra Shingle Plus (looks like slate).

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know your roofs, that's it. I thought you were talking about "sheet" steel. Just looked at the Decra website.. Wow, those look pretty d@mn good. Don't see many like that around here (N Ga).

• PRO
    12 years ago

Standing Seam is just one of the metal options out there.

The panel systems are going to make a run at some of these premium shingles.

50 year non-prorated warranty, sustained 120mph wind warranties, over deck venting, etc.

They are great systems.

That home is absolutely stunning regardless of what is on the roof but on your next one (just kidding) you might consider it.

Congrats on the project...you did well!!!

• PRO
    12 years ago

New mousetrap coming out every day.

Herb...they are really nice and look fantastic when done.

• johnkir
    12 years ago

Hi, lkbum.

My name is John Kirchner, and I work at Integrity from Marvin Windows and Doors. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your story and these photos. We're glad to hear you had a good experience. The new home looks great!

I wanted to let you know that we mentioned this post on one of our websites (and borrowed a small version of one of your photos - see Media Room link below). And while we wouldn't want to press our luck too much, we'd invite you to also share your thoughts with other curious consumers on our product reviews page: http://www.integritywindows.com/Reviews/

Thanks again, and enjoy the new home!

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Integrity Windows Media Room

• PRO
    12 years ago

John,

That is a great show piece home for the Integrity and great feedback.

It is good to see the manufacturers on the boards.

While you are on the boards, you might want to send this link to someone in the warranty department that can advance this issue for the customer in question.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0421552026243.html?37

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin Grid Concerns

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

Somehow, I don't think that thread is going to make it onto Marvins website. :(

• alecia10
    11 years ago

The local Marvin integrity dealer told me I can't get the window with brick molding. In the pictures, is brick molding surrounding the windows. If so, what is the composition? Thanks.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Field applied either wood or composite.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Millworkman is correct, composite was installed after the windows/doors were installed. I did not see all of them installed, but the ones i did see had a flexible fin so that they could be installed from the inside of the house. It loked like a really god idea and made the installation a lot less sressful, at least for the units a good ways off the ground. We've had these window for about a year now and i amvery pleased with them. I don't know why clad units are still around, given the rot problems i've read about. But i've only had these for a year so it's early in their life. The large round top in the great is an ultimate window, and it came with brick mold and was installed fro tne outside.

• alecia10
    11 years ago

That's very helpful. Thank you.

• alecia10
    11 years ago

Very beautiful house by the way!

• PRO
    Ellis Mayhew LLC
    11 years ago

lkbum - great pictures and love the house! Just out of curiosity - why did you decide on Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex as apposed to Marvin Ultimates? I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to these two and was hoping to get your view/opinion.

Thanks

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A couple of reasons. Our house faces south and gets major sun exposure. On the weekend place we had, the sun killed the best paints and finishes in a few years. I wanted to be able to refinish the window exterior if needed. Fiberglass can be refinished much easier than aluminum. Given the heavy sun exposure, I liked the idea of The frame and glass having the same coefficient of thermal expansion. Finally, it seems like every one has had some problem with the cladding leaking at some point allowing the wood to rot below the cladding. It just did not seem like cladding over wood was not the best for me. Thanks for the compliments.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A couple of reasons. Our house faces south and gets major sun exposure. On the weekend place we had, the sun killed the best paints and finishes in a few years. I wanted to be able to refinish the window exterior if needed. Fiberglass can be refinished much easier than aluminum. Given the heavy sun exposure, I liked the idea of The frame and glass having the same coefficient of thermal expansion. Finally, it seems like every one has had some problem with the cladding leaking at some point allowing the wood to rot below the cladding. It just did not seem like cladding over wood was not the best for me. Thanks for the compliments.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

thanks wow, the poster or Site Admin removed them. Pretty nice and without an argument. Thank you to the admin or poster.

• ShayD
    6 years ago

Is there any chance that these photo links could be updated?

• rjinga
    4 years ago

lkbum_gw I know this is an old post..but I'd really love to know what the material is and the brand and color is on the lower section in this picture. I've been looking at something that's called castlestone that looks alot like yours..wondering if it is the same? and also how high are your ceilings in your GR? your GR layout looks much like what we are about to do with the tall covered Lanai off the back...

• brendahong
    3 years ago

any chance you could share the color of Marvin window this is??

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Brenda - The Color is Cashmere

RJinGa - sorry I didn't see your post. If you see this, it's real Tenn Flagstone. A mix of small and medium. 10' Ceilings, 10/12 roof. Which puts the ceilings in the great room at close to 18' to 20'

• brendahong
    3 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Any chance you know what the trim color is around the window?? Love how this turned out!

• Clément Fauchere
    last year
    last modified: last year

@lkbum_gw,

What is the size of this window?

• PRO
    last year

He's hit or miss on here these days, but I would guesstimate that window at about 38-40" wide and 54-58" tall on the primary (casement) unit.

• liloflin
    3 months ago

Your windows are beautiful—what color did you choose for the exterior?

• J Mig
    3 months ago

Her jul 20, 2020 post says the color is Cashmere.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I don‘t visit this board as often as I use to, but I saw this post today. J Mig is correct - cashmere. An update, my windows are now 11 or 12 years old and they still look and operate as if they were brand new. my south facing windows take a brutal solar load and the finish is still shiny. no chalking or fading. I‘ve had the local Marvin rep out two three times during this period of time to adjust my outswing patio doors for a minor rub that was probably the result of settling. still very pleased and would highly recommend these doors and windows.

• PRO
    3 months ago

There he is. Hope all is well.