Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove broken pane out of double pane window?

Posted by merrybookwyrm (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 12:28

I'm a total newb about window repair.

The outer window pane on a double-pane window broke at our house. Got a big hole. All instructions that I've googled about removing this broken pane have started with removing the window from the house, then disassembling the window frame, then removing the broken glass, etc. If I am going to go to that much trouble, then as old as these windows are, a new replacement window is probably better. However we can't afford that at present, especially since the window installers I've talked to so far will only give a quote for windows for the entire house! Something about it being too expensive to get their crew(s) out for only one window...

So. Do I really have to remove the window from the house to get at the broken glass, or is there some way the broken glass can be removed from the aluminum frame without removing the whole window assembly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove broken pane out of double pane window?

With double pane windows you cannot just replace one layer of the glass . The entire glass hass to be repalaced. A reputable glass company can do it for you.

o
RE: remove broken pane out of double pane window?

Thank you. Rats. I was hoping I could just take the broken pane out and leave it out, so that section would be single pane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here