Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiko_gw

Need 29 New Replacement Windows - Advice

kiko_gw
11 years ago
last modified: last year

We are looking to replace our current 1988 aluminum double-paned windows (many with broken/repaired seals). No wood needed (windows painted inside and we're not that into wood, ducking), single-hung preferred, simulated divided lite for windows on front (10, 11, 12, and 13). We are in Dallas, very hot climate but with a bit of cold in the winter too. Noise reduction is important to us (for peace in general) and it's VERY important on windows 10, 11, 12 and 13 as those front to a busier street (during school pick-up drop-off mostly). We replaced all our doors a few years ago with Jeld-Wen french doors about 3 years ago from Home Depot. They are doing fine, not the world's best doors but 1000 times better than the old wood doors (one which had mushrooms growing on it when we bought the house!). Just starting the process of looking and would welcome all advice. The only windows I "know" of are Andersen, Jeld-Wen and Pella. We'd like to get the best windows for the least (Ha Ha, isn't that what we all want from life!).

1. Laundry/East - 32" W x 36" H

2/3. Kitchen/East - Double Window 32" W x 52" H (installed together?)

4/5. Dining/East - Two 32" W x 72" H

6/7. Dining/East - Two Fixed 32" W x 36" H (installed above 4/5)

8/9. Living/East - Two 31" W x 84" H

10/11. Living/South (front/SDL) - Two 24" W x 84" H

12/13. BedroomA/South (front/SDL) - Two 32" W x 96" H

14/15. BedroomB/North - Double Window 32" W x 72" H

16/17. Hallway/West (shaded by 7 ft deep patio) - Double Window 30" W x 72" H

18/19. Hallway/West (shaded by 7 ft deep patio) - Double Fixed 30" W x 34 " H (installed above 16/17)

1. Above French Doors/West (shaded by 7 ft deep patio) - Fixed - 63" W x 48 " H

21/22. Family/South (shaded by 7 ft deep patio) - 32" W x 72" H

23/24. Family/South (shaded by 7 ft deep patio) - Two Small Fixed Trapezoid Windows (installed above 21/22)

25/26. MasterBedroom/South - 32" W x 72" H

2. MasterBath/West - 24" W x 36" H

3. Bath (Glass Block Now) - 46" W x 11" H

4. Bath (Glass Block Now) - 62" W x 78" H

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If you are concerned about noise, you need to consider laminated glass.

While a good, double pane, double strength glass, will likely provide some reduction in noise, it may not be the net change you are ultimately looking for.

In terms of windows, there are some really good brands out there.

There is one contractor that I know of that covers Dallas that is fantastic...Ultra Windows. I would give Randy a call prior to making any decisions on product for that large a project.

http://ultrawindows.net/

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Windows

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I'm not really sure why you posted all the different sizes. The first thing you need to decide is if you want wood, vinyl, fiberglass, composite or aluminum. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages,

Vinyl-Probably going to be the least expensive and will have generally the best energy efficiency. Beware of cheap vinyl windows, they will not hold up in Texas. Better grade vinyl is fine but I would recommend sash reinforcements. Some brands to consider that should be available are Sunrise, Softlite, Simonton.

Wood- Upper end price wise. Consider a clad wood if you want lower maintenance. I'd look at Marvin and Andersen.

Fiberglass-Generally not as good on energy efficiency as vinyl for the most part although some of the better brands have improved recently. Probably the best choice for long term durability and low maintenance. Look at Marvin and Inline, if they are available.

Aluminum-Good choice for Texas heat. Make sure whatever you choose is thermally broken. Don Young should be available and would be a good choice.

Composites- The only one likely to be available is Renewal by Andersen. Average performance but probably a good choice if you like the look of wood without the issues of maintenance and constant painting. Be forwarned that RBA salespeople have a reputation for high-pressure sales tactics.

There man be other brands that would be a good choice that would be available to you but I am pretty sure the brands I listed are available in Dallas.

Best course of action is to take a look at a few windows and get a feel for what suits you best. Do not be pushed into a quick decision. If it's a good deal today, it will be a good deal tomorrow. maybe even a better deal if you wait.

Please check back and let us know how it's going and if youi have any questions.

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

windowsonwashington - Thanks for the info. I will contact Ultra tomorrow.

EcoStarRemodel - Thank you for the info and brands. We definitely don't want wood; it wouldn't work with the look of our home. I would have assumed that aluminum was bad (mostly because that's what we have and they are freezing in the winter). I posted the sizes because I thought it might matter (wasn't sure if all window companies can do an 8 foot tall window, trapezoid windows or large fixed windows, etc..). Funny you would say that about Renewal. I talked to them today, and they were sooooooooo rude to me that I will not, under any circumstances, look at them (much less buy them!). Stuff it RBA!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Non-thermally broken aluminum is not good but thermally broken aluminum can be pretty solid.

Premium vinyl will accommodate those sizes you have listed as well.

• highport
    11 years ago

Install the very best window your budget will allow. However, if the budget is challenged, call Gallery Windows in Mesquite, Tx. Sells & Installs Maritech Vinyl windows in the DFW area. Units are Mfg. locally with Lifetime Warranty. 366-Low-e with Argon is standard. Can build the shapes & sizes you need. Good Luck

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Gee, highport, you wouldn't happen to be employed by them would you?

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

Gee, EcoStarRemodel, you're name wouldn't happen to be the name of your company and website for selling windows, would it??

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Why yes. Yes it would. And when I start violating this website's rules by soliciting people to get in touch with me, you will have something to complain about.

• highport
    11 years ago

Gee, i was only trying to help kiko find a local contact & No i am Not employed by either of these companies. However, they are One of the Many different brands of Vinyl windows i sell. I have Never made a cent from any of my post on this web site. I am self employed & sell for several different companies in the DFW area. These companies do not know that i post on this web site. We should all try to help the consumer, even if it is at our own expense. And, Please do not tell my Mother that i am a Window Salesman. (she thinks i am a bank robber).