Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_gw

Are Hurd Windows OK?

kats
18 years ago

I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but our GC just told us he's "locked-in" the price of our windows (32) and french doors (8) for the home we're building with a brand called Hurd. He said they are double hung and he wants me to decide on whether I want grills or not. From their website I do like the Queen Anne grill but not the rectangular. Other than the fact that the nearest Hurd dealer is over an hour away from where I live I don't know anything about them. And with the amount of glass we'll have I want to make sure they are decent windows. Our area (SoCal at the 4600 elevation) gets into the low 20's in the winter with snow and 90's in the summer and very dry. Can anyone enlighten me about this brand?

Comments (118)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry to hear of your product of your product failures.

Were there any failures inside the 10 year mark that they covered under warranty?

• sauer01
    9 years ago

HURD windows and very happy in northern Illinois.
    I've owned 2 other homes, had "quality" windows installed then, but they do not compare.
    Our current home, built in 1989, all HURD alum. clad double hung windows and sliding patio doors. I wasn't familiar with Hurd but these windows have been amazing over the harshest winters. No leaks, drafts, condensation or frost. Every window seal is intact and extremely sound proof. We do have a few balance springs that need to be replaced. But at least we can do this, many manufacturers do not continue to provide replacement parts after this amount of time. The Hurd customer service rep that returned my call was very professional, intent on answering all my questions and assuring me I would not have to replace these great windows. Our Hurd patio doors are also very well built. I honestly would be in a state of depression if I was told I needed to replace these Hurd windows with another product.

• Windows on Washington
    9 years ago

That is an interesting first post to be certain. I also had some Hurd casements in a previous home that were quite okay as well. I would not have registered on a discussion forum to post up that information though as a first post.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I sold Hurd in the late 80's and most of them have all been replaced, mainly because of "No leaks, drafts, condensation or frost", and not to mention rot!!

• peninafaith
    9 years ago

I have Hurd windows and doors. They are 7 yrs old, the seals are gone and several are warped and leak cold air like crazy. Hurd will not honor the warrantee because they are claiming the manufacture date is older and they are no longer under the warrantee. It is not when they are purchased and installed which seams strange to me. Something to be aware of and be wary of them as a company.

• katieandmichael
    9 years ago

We have Hurd casement windows and within 5 years we had to replace at least 10 of these windows because of broken seal. We should of had all our windows replaced under warranty, but when we went to make another claim they told us they went through a bankruptcy and we were no longer able to have them replaced. We paid our builder a lot extra for these windows and have had nothing but trouble with them. Also, our neighbors who used Hurd windows also had the same problem. The neighbors who had installed cheaper windows all have had no problem at all. I would NEVER buy anything with HURD's name on it in the future!

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

BUYER BEWARE........................................

BUYER BEWARE OF WARRANTY------BEWARE----

CANT STATE THAT ENOUGH

BUYER BEWARE.............

Our entire house has Hurd window replacements since 2009. Just a year ago one of the windows broke its seal and became foggy. We contacted the company we purchased them from and they contacted Hurd for us. (Hurd has been sold and repurchased several times. Thru court litigation Hurd has decided to honor as far back as 2007) Hurd wanted the number etched on the window as proof that is when the window was manufactured and we provided that proof.

Now all we need is the receipt, after 5-6 years. We could not produce the receipt, but had the proof with the number etching on the window. I had called Hurd myself and a customer service rep told me they would not honor the warranty without the receipt. No exception. We were warned by the company we purchased the windows from that this would probably be what happens. This company does not sell Hurd products any more because Hurd will find any thing to not honor the warranty. As a consumer, and providing the actual number on the window we are so disappointed that Hurd is treating the customer in this manner. We will never purchase another Hurd product and are strongly warning other consumers to BE AWARE of the games that Hurd plays. I would like to also add that I have commented on Hurd's Facebook page, just what I have commented here, and my comments were removed the next day. There are other ways around getting the word out. Especially word of mouth it is the greatest tool.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    8 years ago

Hurd is now owned by Sierra Pacific Industries of California, the manufacturer of SPI Windows so the future of Hurd does not look good.

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

I must question what the executives are thinking when making these decisions. I have read many comments about Hurd and most are negative. I will never purchase another product from them. I will be passing on this information. Word of mouth is usually the best advertisement. I will also remember SPI. Thank you for that information.

• unclehippie
    8 years ago

Our house was custom built in 1987 and has an even mix of Andersen and Hurd windows. The Hurd windows all appear to be well-made and none of them have posed the slightest problem for us. We have Hurd bow windows, bay windows, awning windows and a lot of double hung windows. Our rooms all stay real snug and warm during our cold, upstate New York winters. From reading some of the comments here, I guess we are lucky. I wonder, though, did Hurd used to make a better product back in the '80s? Does anyone know if they used to have different quality models, sort of like how Andersen has the 100 and 400 Series?

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

unclehippie, i wish i had an answer for your questions. Our upgrades have been made over the past 15 years, but oddly enough the one that the seal broke on is the newest, about 5 years ago. I do know that Hurd has been sold and repurchased several times and not sure who actually manufactured them under the Hurd name. Just so very disappointed that they not honor the warranty.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Sold em in the 80's and they were marginal at best back then You got lucky I guess.....

• Cindy Crawford
    8 years ago

We are getting ready to build a house and chose Hurd-the difference in the Kolbe and Hurd seemed a no brainer as far as a choice-my builder has used them in the past and the rep at the lumber store said he would choose them if he were building HOWEVER BASED ON ALL THE NEGATIVE INFO ABOVE I AM GETTING CONCERNED-MAYBE THEY HAVE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER IN THE LAST FEW YEARS????

• unclehippie
    8 years ago

I don't know. Ours have held up extremely well, and I was surprised when I read all of the negative comments here.

• Just Me (Zone 6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm with unclehippie. We have Hurd windows on a 20 yo home and they've been great for the most part. We had two seals break and had to replace glass out of 36. We bought from the original owners, so I can't speak to the first 9 years, but we have no complaints. And we have some really large and oddly shaped windows...they're not all standard sizes/rectangles.

• Claire
    8 years ago

Hurd was bought out by a different company, after it was sold the new parent company did not warranty any of the windows before 2007. We got ours in 2006, with a now VOID 25 year warranty... that's totally and utterly BS and beyond unfair to the consumer. The new company went through some sort of "arbitration" and one of the clauses was that they would NOT buy Hurd unless the warranty's were void from before 2007. Since Hurd was pretty much bankrupt and my guess is there was some MAJOR quality issues (hence we all got screwed) with the windows before this time, they agreed. 7 seals and counting have broken so far, crappy cranks and warping. They are warped in some of my rooms, so much so I can't open them because I can't get them shut. I cannot speak for what the new company is doing and what their quality control is like but since I can't get any of windows fixed and got screwed majorly, I hate them all and would never recommend them based on my experience. Windows after 2007 might be just fine, I still would never buy them again. I'd go look elsewhere and make sure its a reputable company. Nothing like having 60K in windows and having the warranty void. So needless to say I am extremely bitter... sorry I can't help by giving you any positive feedback.

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

Cindyleepc.......................just be ware of what may happen. We have so much money wrapped up in our windows. Many of then have lost the seal and are foggy. Having to replace the window a little at time is costly and time consuming. Just so disappointed in the HURD. But they surely can read these comments, just as well and choose to do nothing about it. We were a customer that was told the famous line "SORRY this is our policy" But never, never again. I would advise agains HURD.

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

Unclehippie, you have been one of the lucky consumers. I am not indicating that HURD doesnt have a good product, but if there are this many complaints, the manufacture needs to take a closer look at what the errors are. My complaint is that HURD will not honor the warranty in which we can prove when we made this purchase. We were warned that HURD would nit pick until they found something that would cause the warranty to be void. BE CAREFUL

• Becky Wegener
    8 years ago

CLARE70 sorry to hear your horror story as well. I am aware the HURD sold to another company and did make warranty cut offs on the years. My windows were purchase in 2009 and 2010 and there were still little details that caused then not to honor the warranty. Its always after the fact that the customer gets screwed. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM HURD AND SUGGEST NO OTHER CUSTOMER MAKE THE MISTAKE TO PURCHASE EITHER. THERE ARE MANY OTHER REPUTABLE WINDOW COMPANIES TO CHOOSE FROM.

• windowwhisperer
    8 years ago

I find this to be very interesting. Many window companies have had issues with their windows. Pella - class action suit on products in the 90's, Anderson buying Eagle Windows and not honoring warranties of the previous company. M/I Windows class action suit. Marvin has an investigation by Parker Waichman LLP.

The fact is all Windows manufacturers have issues. Who represents the product does make a difference in your window experience. It's easy to condemn a manufacturer, but also buying from a dealer that does not minimize your liability and risk as a builder or homeowner only escalates the issues not being addressed correctly. I recommend instead of searching for the brand of window which will fail no matter the manufacturer find the company selling the window with a proven tract record of training, installing verifying install, and finalizing the operation and hardware making sure the homeowner is fully covered in warranty as a signed off package. This way you can use the dealer as leverage when issues such as these arise.

• beckykk
    7 years ago

Over the years I have repeatedly tried to contact Hurd Windows, no response. We had read up on windows and decided on Hurd, what an awful experience. DO NOT BUY THESE WINDOWS. I have 61 in my home, about 15-20 have issues, gas leakage (discolored windows) crank handles broken. Heart sick after reading about the problems so many people are having. I had a twenty-five year warranty, what good is it if you can't contact these people.

• mtvhike
    7 years ago

Why is it that modern companies cannot make windows which last like the original double-hung single-pane windows in my 115 year old house? Is it because double pane windows cannot be made to last?

• PRO
    7 years ago

They can be made to last depending on what you choose. If you are making the wood to wood comparison, the reality is that the wood from 115 years ago was just that much better. The species was much denser, kiln dried, and from a much more mature timber. All of this made for much, much, more durable frame and sash lineal.

• ecomom1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

New construction with dozens of Hurd doors and windows. Two needing to be fixed as they won't open - seem jammed. (GC says they will be out to fix) but so difficult to open and close. I cannot do it without getting on a chair and trying to get above the window to push down or up. Anyone know how to open these windows?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

Could be a host of issues there Ecomom. Most common reason for a window to get stuck is when the balance assembly is locked because the sash is not fully engaged in it, but that is purely speculation. Best is to have the contractor take a look.

If you are feeling ambitious prior to that, tilt the sash(es) in to 90 degress and look to see that it is fully seated in the shoe that it rides in in the jamb. Then close and see if it fixed it.

• sauer01
    7 years ago

Thought I could add some relevance to Ecomom's issues; For my DIY screened porch-to-sunroom renovation, 12 windows and patio door were needed. My home has older Hurd windows that, in my "first post", I mentioned I'm very happy with. Ordering similar Hurd product would have launched us way beyond our set budget. I decided on and custom ordered Anderson branded windows from one of the well known box stores. ( I expect comments here...) Many of the new windows seemed to function fine, some were very difficult to open. First bit of cold weather and these new windows were leaking cold air - obviously I was upset. With this and some other issues surrounding our custom windows, Anderson customer support sent out an installer. He determined that the sashes had shifted side-to-side and needed to be re-centered in frame. With the needed adjustments - all windows are functioning properly and without any air penetration. Point I'm building toward is that installation impacts greatly on the quality of your window no matter the brand.

• marcyfitz
    7 years ago

We built our house in 2006 -- hence no warranty on our 35+ Hurd windows. We do not have fogging, our problem is with sound leakage. I can heard everything from outside as if the windows are open (and they are not!). Any suggestions on how to fix this or what the problem even might be? Sierra Pacific will not return my phone calls. Countless handymen do not know what to do to fix the problem. Thank you.

• oberon476
    7 years ago

How well are the air gaps between the window frame and the rough opening filled in? And how were they filled?

That would be the first thing I would check.

• Harvey Heidemann
    6 years ago

I have had 30 Aluminum clad Hurd casement windows on our home for 31 years. Of course some of the seals have failed and I had to have them replaced. Some under warranty at about 10 years and others later. Some are still holding out fine. My builder said that if the weight of the units he had to install compaired to Anderson or Pella that these were the best. I researched them against Anderson and Pella and with Hurd having 3 weather seals they were the best not to mention the unit insulation rating with the 'Heat Mirror 88" They did have some problems with seals and switched the glazing and assembly around along with a different gas. I am really sorry the company went belly up but replacements are still made by Sierra Pacific in the old Hurd factory with some upgrades I hear. Because the replacement cost is so high I will shop and compare Anderson and Pella again when I get ready to replace some.

• Harvey Heidemann
    6 years ago

Also no air leakage or water getting past the unit to frame seals. Can't ask for much more.

• fridge2020
    5 years ago

Heavy= good. Goes for windows, goes for women. At least that’s what my friend Todd says

• karinpt
    5 years ago

We chose Hurd windows over Anderson when we had our home built and spent an additional $30,000 over and above what it would have cost just for the windows the builder was going to put in. We were really sold when we were told how energy efficient heat mirror windows were and liked the taupe exterior color. I was sold on their fantastic warranty. The interior is wood that is painted white with mullions and the exterior is taupe aluminum clad over wood with mullions. They started failing within three years. We now have 7 windows that have a very ugly purple-like color between the panes. When I called the company that took over after Hurd's bankruptcy, I was told that the bankruptcy required that repair windows and parts be made available to past customers so I could purchase window and repair parts, no warranty and very expensive. Totally disgusted with Hurd and I do not know what to do about the windows that have failed as I can't find anyone in the Denver area to repair or put new glass in them. The crank out mechanisms on four windows has also failed. I think they are just a bad product and really don't want to buy Hurd again but really tough as I need the windows to match. I would go with Anderson if I could do it over. Had problems with a huge window on our last home and they went above and beyond to fix it.

• Just Me (Zone 6a)
    4 years ago
    As an update, we have had a glass company replace two large and three small window panes with new low-e glass. This year we need another large and at least 7 small. I suppose after 25 years, replacing the panes isn’t unexpected. And FWIW, we had a realtor assess our home recently, and they asked if the windows were the originals. When we said they were, the guy said they were in really good shape. So there is that.
  • karinpt
    4 years ago

Hi Just Me,

Do the repaired windows match your other Hurd windows? Since we have Hurd Heat Mirror windows, there is kind of a gold tint when you look at the windows from the outside and not sure there's any way to match that. When you say window panes, do you mean the whole glass area? Our windows have the three layers inside and the grids on the exterior and interior glass to make it look like individual panes. I have a window repair company coming this week so I guess I will see what happens. I think other than the film turning purplish color inside and some crank mechanisms not working, the windows do what they are supposed to do, they don't leak air and have never had moisture inside so maybe it's not the seals, maybe just the film inside changing color. I think our windows ar ein pretty good shape. We were told to use car polish on the aluminum clad exterior and that works well.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

You're not matching hthe Heat Mirror "tint" or hue from what I know. And karin you have what is knows as "simulated divided lights" and you may (will have more than likely) have trouble getting that repaired or replaced to look the same for sure.

• Just Me (Zone 6a)
    4 years ago

Yes, we replaced the entire glass area into the frame. We saw a slight difference in color on our replacements from the originals, , but it sounds like your tint is more pronounced. Were you able to find a solution?

• karinpt
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info! Just Me, I don't mind if the color is off a little. I had to change my appointment for the window repair company so they are now coming next week. And yes, milworkman, I do believe they are called simulated divided lights. We were told that the grills on the inside and outside do snap off so I'm hoping that a glass repair company can just replace the glass and put the grills back on. I guess I will find out next week.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"We were told that the grills on the inside and outside do snap off so I'm hoping that a glass repair company can just replace the glass and put the grills back on"

Typically VHB taped on and the only snap will be in attempting to remove them unfortunately. Especially the exterior.

• karinpt
    4 years ago

Hi milworkman. I appreciate your input. The person who came out from the glass repair company said that they could replace the bad windows with new sashes and remove and re-use the grills on the inside and outside. I don't have their bid yet for doing that. After I looked up VHB online, that looks difficult. I have also gotten a bid from Renewal by Anderson but they would have to replace all the windows in the house as they can't match the Hurds and most of the windows are around $3500-5000 each so cost prohibitive. I also think replacing all the windows would be a huge waste as only 7 out of 54 have failed and the ones that have not failed seem to be performing fine.

• jeannekmiller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hurd windows are terrible I would AVOID! We made that mistake 10 years ago! They are a very low quality window!

• fridge2020
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jeannekmiller they are now called sierra pacific. Doesn’t make anything better for you I’m sure, but if the purpose of your post is to warn others not to buy those windows, they are currently sold as Sierra Pacific windows

• Alyson Angus
    3 years ago

We purchased HURD windows by Sierra Pacific because of the exterior color. Our new home build was delayed a few years due to a family illness, so we had not moved into the house. The house isn't finished, but we stayed here for Christmas. The windows leak like a sieve. I've contacted our salesperson and their sending a Sierra Pacific/Hurd rep to the house. Not sure what he's going to do or say, but these windows are junk and my guess is we're either stuck with them or have to buy all new. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HURD WINDOWS AND DOORS.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"The windows leak like a sieve."

Hurd windows are typically pretty awful but leaking like a sieve sounds an awful lot more like installation than the windows themselves. How did you determine that this is the windows leaking and not the installation? Pictures? Anything to back this claim up?

• HU-87526319
    last year
    last modified: last year

We purchased HURD windows because they cam highly recommended! Boy we found out differently. Just like all of you-all the seals on our 60+ windows and 4 doors are gone

. I don't even know where to begin to "fix" them!! I have been frustrated for the past 20 years with to poor quality. Anyone have luck replacing the glass???

• millworkman
    last year

"I have been frustrated for the past 20 years with to poor quality. Anyone have luck replacing the glass???:

20 years? Hurd wood windows are about towards the end of their life cycle as it is. I would think very long and hard about changing all the IGU's and lean towards new windows were it me.

• PRO
    last year

20 years....you made out MUCH better than most. Trust me.

• HU-203183192
    4 months ago

After reading all the comments above, Its imperative that I make mine. I owned a window tinting company for 22 years. Of all the window manufactures from 1981 to 1999 when we built our custom home, Marvin was the only true quality competitor to Hurd. We chose Hurd when our home was built in 1999. All of our windows are in great shape to this date except a few cranks have worn out and been replaced. All of our HURDS have 1" thick thermo-pane glass units. Ours are aluminum exterior clad w/ pine wood interiors. I tinted them all in 1999 when we moved in and just had all the tinting redone in 2019. All of our HURD windows are 5' to 6' tall each and very wide. we live in the country. I'm totally shocked at all the above comments.

• millworkman
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I had the unfortunate mishap to work for a company that sold them in the 80's/90's. If they lasted 10 years it was a miracle. Compete garbage.

• Alyson Angus
    4 months ago

I'm going to update a very negative comment I made about HURD/ Sierra Pacific windows and doors installed in our new home. FYI, HURD was purchased by Sierra Pacific and Sierra Pacific is taking responsibility for the product. The person who sold the windows and doors to us, contacted SP who sent 3 people out to adjust every window and door in our house. They were fabulous and we also learned that some of the problem was caused from settling of the house and they did their best to make adjustments to mitigate problems. So, at this point, I do recommend.

• karinpt
    4 months ago

Just a quick update as I just received a email update from Houzz on this Hurd thread. We now have 27 Hurd heat mirror windows that have failed. The worst ones have a nasty purple and orange color. The worst ones are on the West and South sides. You can tell the beginnings of failure of the window as it will have a purple tinge that gets progressively worse. I doubt that any windows being sold recently are heat mirror windows as Hurd went bankrupt as they were unable to honor their lifetime warranty on the heat mirror windows so homeowners who bought them were out of luck. The builder grade windows in all the homes in our neighborhood look fine. I wish we wouldn't have "upgraded"!