Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plnj89

Problems with Loewen Windows and Doors

plnj89
17 years ago

Has anyone experienced problems with Loewen Windows and Doors?

Comments (112)

• lshiffri
    3 years ago

How do they get away with selling such crap? I wish there was some way to warn people. I assume if you have triple pane windows you are exposed to the weather like I am. Our distributor didn't stand behind them at all. Be sure you report all problems before the warranty expires.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Loewen, by the way.

Have you had factory representatives out? Have they identified the issue?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Curious as well as that has not been my experience or friends who are Loewen dealer experience with the product.

• tedico
    3 years ago

Yes, the factory rep came once because the distributor wanted him to see all the problems with our windows and doors. Have not seen him since. It took four years and four sets of doors for them to be successfully replace the doors that leaked. One set of doors came with four hinges when ours have five. The rest never matched with the jam. 8 sash windows had to have the locking mechanism replaced due to serve corrosion. Close to a dozen windows leak when it rained and it seem that the solution has been to caulk them from the out side. Not a long term solution is it? Stainless steel screw for latches had to be replaced due to rust and they are still rusting. Two windows replaced due to fogging. Glue under plastic still on some anodized aluminum. No plastic on glass to protect from construction debris like other manufactures. We still have windows that leak and we are expecting another service call after the pandemic from our distributor. Our window package was understated above because it was $130K. I can go on if you want me to. Not a good product or manufacture. My wife has been hounding me to get our lawyer involved to this day. What a nightmare in a million dollar house.

• bjprendergast
    3 years ago

I can’t understand all of these bad comments about Loewen windows. Our home is 20 years old and is completely kitted out in huge Loewen windows and multiple doors. We face the oncoming west coast storms from a hillside and we have never had a leak or any broken hardware. These windows are the best we’ve ever had (9 houses and counting..), and I would recommend them to anyone. The exterior cladding is still perfect, the interior fir is perfect and the seals are all fine. Never a problem. I can’t say I love the loose-ish handles on the casement openers, but nothing has ever actually broken. In our very weather-exposed location, these windows have performed as advertised and then some. Some of these comments make me wonder about who did the installation, because our windows are perfect.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

I have friends who are Loewen dealers and installers and have been for years. Never seen or heard of these issues with them either. Everyone had a clunker now and again and the key is how they resolve them.

• jchami
    3 years ago

Yes, we have had nothing but problems with our Loewen patio doors and their service is horrible. I am still trying to resolve this and have Loewen fix them 5 years after my new build.

• Cyn
    3 years ago

I've had them for about 20 years. The windows have been great, no failures, but the doors have been nothing but problems. They are gorgeous however

• jchami
    3 years ago

Agree but I would pick function over fashion next time

• lshiffri
    3 years ago

Years ago I put vinyl replacement windows in a rental I have. A couple of the windows leaked and springs broke (renters) and turns out they have a lifetime warranty!! I was so excited after my experience with Lowen. Every window and door on the weather side of my house has leaked between the panes and it's not possible to fix them without basically replacing the whole window. Makes vinyl looked pretty great.

• Ariel Vernon
    2 years ago

We have just built a new home using Loewen. The windows are okey, but I would STRONGLY advise people against using the french door units (we have 7 of them).

The hardware has a design defect - the doors have an internal deadbolt that holds them closed, but unless both doors are properly locked (ie, if someone doesn't know and only turns the deadbolt on ONE of the doors, and not both) it is still possible to open the doors with the deadbolt still connecting the doors - a little nudge would wreck the entire door system.

Loewen acknowledged the problem and 'helped' us resolve it by changing the locks so that each door we can lock the doors separately, so that we can now keep one side of the french door units permanently locked. They charged us an extra $1200 for this - essentially rendering half of our door units inoperable.

It is frustrating that Loewen did not advise us about this problem with the hardware - I am certain that we are not the only people who have had this problem and they clearly know that it's an issue. I would advise using another company.

• Cyn
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

we have the same issues with their French doors AND their double sliders. But the windows are great and all are very beautiful

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

By double sliders, do you mean the ones that meet in the middle? I have two sets of these. They have these stupid pins that are supposed to lock the doors from sliding but they never lined up (pins wouldn't go in). The only thing locking them is a door to door lock. Of course they blamed this on our installation.

• Justin Mirro
    2 years ago

I just installed 50+ windows and 5 large sliding doors in my new home using Loewen products - what a mistake! I originally selected Marvin products, but my builder convinced me to use Loewen (I think he gets a kick-back) because he told me they work better. Well...they don't. All the windows have are leaking around the seals - a few of them I can actually see daylight. And the sliding doors don't work at all - the hardware is horrible as the locking mechanism is very difficult to operate even after having the local Loewen rep to my home three times to replace the mechanism. And the sliding tracks have very high friction making them difficult to open/close. The rep told me this was to keep out the elements! Nice to look at, but bad to operate.

• jchami
    2 years ago

I continue to have problems with our Loewen sliding Patio doors that close in the middle. They don't lock, the hardware keeps falling off. Customer service has been so disappointing. I would never use Loewen again!

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

Mine whistle loudly in the wind (besides not locking and leaking between the panes). Could hardly have a conversation the other evening. Then there's the issue of the screen rollers being made out of a metal that rusts. I found out you can order stainless ones for an extra price.

• numbersjunkie
    2 years ago

We bought 6 sets of patio doors from Loewen. Lock on the door that is used most is falling apart. We recently had the glass shatter on a door section and tried multiple times to contact the service rep from the company that supplied the doors to see about getting it repaired. No response. Had a glass company out to look at possible repair who thinks the entire door will need to be replaced because of the way they are made. Waiting to hear back from them since the local dealer has gone dark on us.

• Pamela Tesche
    2 years ago

For 4 years I have been attempting to resolve a flawed $6K center opening window. I specifically had it installed by the company to ward off any "installation my fault" issues if something came up. It did. From day one, as soon as the installers left, and I returned to the house to excitedly try my beautiful new window, there were problems-- able to be opened only with extreme force,and then not closing. (They said it was just a little tight) Then later ice buildup. . My contractor on this custom remodel witnessed it, and remarked that the level of struggle to operate the window, is not normal ever. I had notified them immediatey, and have done so regularly for 4 years. All kinds of blaming from the company--weather, house age, frost heaves, it's normal, etc. When I asked, they said the same other 2 windows installed in our city didn't have issues, like, somehow that logic makes the problem my fault. The sell/install company has been out 5 times "fixing" it. Last week's "fix", he said if it ices up again, it's because "all french doors and windows do that". He said he applied some stick-on insulation from Home Depot as a solution, which will need to be replace every couple years. I purchased this brand based upon the Louwens brothers' claims of security in harsh climates. This window is NOT that.

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

My fun with windows today was opening one of my casement windows too far last night (I guess they shouldn't be opened all the way) and then it wouldn't close. After messing with it a long time (and having it open all night) I figured out the window was sagging so the mechanism was hitting the bottom on the window. The tiny screws that hold it in were popping out also. I finally got it closed by gently lifting the window with a crowbar to get it over the hinge. Now the hinge side of the window is not closing all the way with a gap between the window and the frame. What a piece of crap.

• lapoodella
    2 years ago

These reports sound horrible. That said, I chose Marvin windows and they have all leaked from day one. They were installed improperly without the correct flashing and without pans under them. Fixing them requires complete removal and replacement. The windows are almost 20 years old. The contractor went out of business shortly after the installation. Now I have some wood rot too. The finish on the sashes also failed and was replaced under warranty, but not the weather bits or the interior bulbs so they all failed within a couple of years of the sash replacement. Our soil (sand) is acidic as well. So I'm concerned about the aluminum exteriors. Loewen windows seem to have better interior parts than Marvin: a coiled rubber type window stop vs. mere styrofoam, metal ballast stops vs. plastic, and a simpler tilt out mechanism. I have learned with my Marvin windows that if you tilt the window, be VERY careful how it is replaced. That goes for the contractor, window washer, cleaner: anyone tilting the window. If it is not returned just so, it can leak, break the bulb that is interior and cause failure, etc. In other words, the tilt function should just be abandoned. Marvin has replaced many parts but charged me for the parts and the labor to the tune of $150/window or so. Seems like my choices are between a rock and a hard place.

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

Sorry to hear about your windows. I'm looking at having to replace my Loewen ones on the weather side of the house. Luckily I taped them up before we got 10 inches of rain in 24 hours so leaking was minimal. I resent having to stress about taping up windows so they don't leak. My question is what windows are good? What do they install on the gulf where they get hurricanes? My worst nightmare is to replace windows and have the new ones leak.

• Bea Starr
    2 years ago

Ishifrl, can you explain where you are taping (and what type window)so the rest of us might benefit? and what type of tape? We have an aluminum/wood casement leaking on se lower side. found the weatherstrip was uv warped and so it was replaced.. what about exterior metal joints? The glass seems ok, however condensation repeats on exterior with certain rapid weather changes-told it was normal. Also, new patio door/fixed 6’ unit leaked with heavy rain right in the center where they join. The solution was distributor sent a couple 2” foam pads applied to lower jamb? We’ll see when there is more driven rain.

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

I got extra weather stripping from Loewen but never installed them. The sliders whistle loudly in the wind. As far as taping, I use exterior painter's tape so it comes off after a while. It will leak after a long rain (got 10" in one day a while ago). So, I determine where to tape by were I'm getting the water in. I did a test where I taped between the bottom of the window and the trim. A couple of windows still leaked. A couple stopped leaking when I did that. On the ones that leaked at the window, I taped the windows closed - between the window and the frame. These are metal clad casement. This seemed to work, though I can't open the windows. I've had the sheetrock off the wall under one window because it had mold so I can see if anything is leaking there. When nothing was taped a couple of years ago, water came down the inside of the walls and came out from the top of the windows downstairs. Water everywhere. Horrible. The taping I did this year really helped. I'm going to replace all the windows on the weather side of the house, but don't know what to get.

• Bea Starr
    2 years ago

I’m so sorry. Did you mean you taped the exterior metal seams on the metal frame of the casement? Like the bottom corners, or all around the sash when closed? Must be if you cant open it then, or, are you taping window metal frame to exterior trim? Ill let you know if the cheap weatherstripping provided helps when changed.. I do notice that the sill which is not deep, has very little angle to sh…. manufacturers are getting by selling junk. Think about cars.. their rubber weatherstrip doesnt leak.. this is just cheap plastic crap on windows that they are charging thousands of dollars for. I gave Loewen more credit.

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

I'm taping depending on where it is leaking. Some leak between the window frame and the wood trim, so I tape that up - the whole bottom and partway up the sides. Then, for the ones where it is the window leaking (I know this because taping it the other way didn't fix it), I tape the window itself to the frame along the bottom and partway up the sides. It is clear the entire design of these windows does not stand up for strong winds with a driving rain. Tomorrow I am having a guy out from Pella so I can get an idea if their windows might be better. I told him if they can't stand up to 60 mph windows with horizontal rain, I'm not interested.

• lshiffri
    2 years ago

An update: I found out leaking between the panes is guaranteed for 20 years. Almost all on the weather side of the house had leaked. I've been dealing with Loewen and they are sending replacement units, which have to be installed at my expense. This will not help the leaking at all but at least there won't be moisture in them. I don't know yet how much they will cost to install. I'm putting this up here in case you have issues that might be covered in warranty.

• Paul Sarcona
    last year

My home has 50 plus windows purchased with Loewen. The biggest mistake.

Loewen windows appear to be built well. Several of the double hung track components are flimsy. When you require repairs there is no one but one company to service the windows within 100 to 200 miles of your home. You are completely at the mercy of the one company. If by chance you are handy and wish to repair yourself because of the limited options, Loewen won't even sell the parts to you. Not even a screen!

Picture a high end car that you purchase that doesn't have any dealership to service your vehicle. Stay far away and factor in servicing options when purchasing a window.

• lshiffri
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've been dealing with trying to get the glass replaced on a large number that leaked between the panes. It has been almost a year since the drama started. I am now waiting for the third shipment of windows, hopefully the last 7. On top of that, you are so right that there is no one to do the work. Loewen wouldn't even start manufacturing the windows until I gave the install company half of the install cost, over $8,000 down! They have had my money all this time since Loewen made the windows wrong. So, at the end of this, after spending $16,000+, I will be able to see out the windows, BUT some will still leak in storms! I will probably have to tape them up again before it rains. What a nightmare.

• Bea Starr
    last year

Ishiffri, how can you tell if it is leaking between the panes? i have casements that have condensation in morning especially now- turning cooler at night.

Who will you get to install the glass- or are these new entire sashes?

• lshiffri
    last year

Depending on the temp and time of day you can see the condensation. I have pictures of the worst and the ones you can only see sometimes if you are interested. With that said, the new windows are so very clear. Loewen only gave me the names of two companies in my area and only one seemed legit but VERY expensive. I couldn't believe how much. It is only the glass. They take down the window or slider door, take it apart, replace the glass, put the grids back on inside and out (metal clad on the outside) and put it back together. I actually removed the grids on the sliders to reduce the price and didn't like them anyway. I really couldn't believe how much money it is taking to replace these in warranty. For about 6 or 7 days for a couple of guys, $16K+. I guess they have a corner on the market so they charge outrageous amounts.

• Bea Starr
    last year

Wow. Extreme cost. It seems like they could have more easily replaced thesashes and panels. Sadly, it seems like they were disincentivizing you -hoping for you to drop it. why rebuild when you can replace? i had windows pulled years ago and risked warping the frame, so went new. Be careful.

Did you say that they can condensate externally in fall weather? Cant see out glads for two hour early morning.

• oberon476
    last year

Ishiffri,

After reading both of your posts several times, there are things that just don't quiteAlso add up.

I am not suggesting at all that you are making this up or that you aren't having issues, but I am not sure that the people who you have been working with are serving your best interests on a number of levels.

How old are these windows? Today Loewen outsources their IG units from Cardinal and frankly Cardinal simply doesn't have mass failures like you describe, but I don't remember how long this relationship between Loewen and Cardinal has been in place and prior to that Loewen did manufacture their own IG units. Also Cardinal has a 20 year non-prorated 100% replacement warranty on IG unit failure to the window company in the event of IGU failure, so that's might be a consideration as well.

But not sure not sure who actually made them so any pictures of the window's logo's might help or might not depending on how much information is contained in the logo.

Also any pictures of the wet windows could be a great help as well, especially a wide shot that shows the condensation on the windows.

You mention that condensation is hit-or-miss depending on weather and time of day. When do you normally see it? What times and in what conditions?

If your grids are true SDL's it can be very difficult to remove the grids without damaging them. When you say that you removed the grids, do you mean that you purchased the windows without grids? Just making sure that I understood correctly.

• lshiffri
    last year

Bea Starr: If you can't see out of the windows early in the am, try opening them and wiping down the outside. Might not be between the panes. Mine sometimes have condensation on the outside. I actually priced replacing them and trying to make them match the Loewen on the other side. I decided to go this route. Hard to say what was the right decision.

• oberon476
    last year

Bea Starr, Are you seeing the condensation on the outside face of your windows exposed to the outdoors? If so then that is perfectly normal and is an indication that your windows are working as designed. They are blocking heat from inside your home from radiating to the outside. This results in lower external glass temperatures and dew forming on the glass in the right weather conditions, usually first thing in the morning in the fall (but could happen any time of year) as the nights become colder and humidity levels rise.

If your windows are wet on the inside your home or between the glass panes, then you have a different issue that needs to be addressed differently.

• lshiffri
    last year

oberon476: They are TDL lights. They have to remove the grids inside and outside and put them back. I had them use the new wood on the inside - too much damage from removing them. My windows are 20 years old. They replace the glass up to 20 years BUT it doesn't include installing. Do you mean the tiny printing in the corners? That just has "tempered" & the date. Here are a couple of pics. The one at the top is the worst. The second one is typical.

• oberon476
    last year

thank you.

20 years ago Loewen would have been making their own IGU's, so glad they had a 20 year warranty at the very least on the originals.

You say that they are TDL's, but also that they had to remove the grids and replace the internal ones that broke, and that would indicate an SDL not a TDL. With a TDL each panel would be a completely separate IG unit and the muntin bars (grids)would be a permanent part of the window sash (nothing to remove), but an SDL would mean that it's one IG unit but with grids between the glass lites and then grids taped to the glass surface inside and outside to simulate a true divided lite.

If the windows are simulated then grid removal would be necessary unlike with a TDL.

Something of semantics that doesn't help your situation, but also knowing what the installers are doing might help explain that cost.

Have you asked Loewen for replacement grids (assuming they are SDL?)? Since you had to replace at least some of them due to damage during removal, where did the replacements come from?

Removing and replacing the original grids would be time consuming and frankly a serious pain in the a$$ which might account for at least some of that charge? Sticking on new grids while changing out the IGU should be much simpler and might help drop some of that price that has to be almost all labor?

• Bea Starr
    last year

Oberon, thank you for explaining my exterior condensation. That is it! My other complaint is a leak problem that arose first year on a twin casement (aluminum clad) facing south. The cheap weatherstripping they use on a three thousand dollar window! So uv gets the heat up and reshapes it (plastic, not rubber like your car) so when you close the window it has a warped seal that is NOT tight,weatherproof around the entire sash. Had it replaced twice. Also they caulked the exterior metal mitre corners as that too was inadequate and trapping rai… plus no angle off to shed.. say like 10-15%. By design? I would never advocate for their product. Their former solid reputation is no more.

• Bea Starr
    last year

Ishiffri, those are pretty windows

• lshiffri
    last year

oberon476, Bea Starr: I guess they are SDL then. There are dividers between the panes of glass - not just grids on the outside. Yes, it is a pain. Loewen did provide the grids for the inside. Since we had to wait for the correct windows, I sprayed all the wood with good varnish. Much easier than when they are installed, though I would probably still have to do that because of the nail holes and sealing the edges. They wanted to use the old ones so they didn't have to mitre everything but after two windows I said that wouldn't work. Some of my windows are warped also. Have to lock them to get them to close correctly. Some windows are still leaking to inside the house. Wish I could figure that out.

• Good Dog
    last year

We built a house 17 years ago and installed Lowen windows.after 15 years we started noticing rotting sashes on our double hung windows. On our casement windows the lower part of the frame on a couple of the windows are getting soft. They seem to be prone to leaks through the aluminum clading and water soaks the unprotected wood underneath.

my brother in law has a house that is 4 years older also built using Lowen casement windows. over half have rot on the lower frame.

The two flat I grew up in was built in 1929. We had the windows replaced in 1983. The guys replacing them where amazed that there was almost no rot in any of the frames. what changed over the years?

• lshiffri
    last year

I've wondered the same thing. It is horrible after 20 years to see the rot in my windows. I removed all the tape from last winter and after our first real rain yesterday I had soaked towels inside my bedroom. I could feel a cold breeze coming in from around the sliders and that's with new weather stripping. My windows are casement. It's like having a cloud always hanging over the house.

• PRO
    Rima Martinez Design
    7 months ago

I have Loewen windows, install just completed(defficiencies are not done yet)... and we have had a LOT of issues with the order. (they were ordered too shallow for the walls, came unfinished even though we asked for factory finish interior, the entry door is hinged the wrong way--- and they are making us pay to fix ANYTHING, even though the mistakes are on their rep's end- so not pleased). However the build quality is good, but install is finicky. If you have sash windows that are leaking (or any windows that are leaking) you need to take off your interior trim and drywall and see if your framers/installers put backing/blocking at the mid point of the window frames (where the two sashes meet in the middle) This is something we were told by Loewens installer when we have on site for something totally unrealated. Othwerwise we would also have a ton of issues with air leaks and our installers had no idea how to fix the issues-there is a tiny part that comes with the windows that is supposed to do this also, but realistically blocking and using a laser level will get you there without fiddling around with weird hardware- the Lowen guy said that no one uses the hardware they send anyway. Most just properly block. We are on the other hand still unable to fully close 1/2 of the sash windows. For some reason the pane wont fully go into the locking position. I will have them out to fix this. The build quality is nice, but I know other manufacturers who are equal or better. I sadly think they need an overhaul on quality control and to retrain their customer service staff and to rework their customer service policy. The weakest part for me has been the rep and support. Basically being gaslit into paying thousands more to get just my front door fixed to what I thought I ordered is quite unacceptable.

• lshiffri
    7 months ago

I don't believe they can charge you money to fix the installation problems. It sounds like you had a Loewen approved installer. I can't believe you can't close half the windows. Their quality is horrible. I found they look for ways to blame the home owner. That's what they did with me. I still have one window after 20 years that I have to put plastic over in the winter so I don't have water coming into the house. Don't let them push you around. The windows are guaranteed. Make them stand by that.

• millworkman
    7 months ago

" even though the mistakes are on their rep's end "

Was it a true Loewen rep or a dealer? Loewen does not sell direct nor take orders so it probably is a dealer. If the dealer screwed up then the fixes should be on them, no doubt, unless the order was written up by you or your builder. Did you get a copy of the order, were you required to double check it and sign off on it? Not saying it is your fault just trying to get more of the back story.

• PRO
    Rima Martinez Design
    7 months ago

We bought direct from the Loewen showroom here. We used their installers for the difficult windows and our own for the smaller ones. All of them have issues regardless of the installer. We are paying extra to have a door swing changed to what we thought we had ordered (we signed off not realising the swing had changed) . I wouldnt mind horribly if we were only paying a little, but its in the thousands. (Giant entry door-which is why its SO imporantat that the swing is corect)

• lshiffri
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

It's costing me $16K+ to install new panes that leaked moisture within the 20 year warranty. It has been a nightmare trying to get the correct windows and get them installed correctly (with quality workmanship). It has been going on since December '21. Either the panes are the wrong size, the grid pattern is the wrong measurement or the installer did a bad job installing the grids on the inside. So, be very careful giving anyone money before you carefully check out the job. Do you have any email or texts talking about how the entry door would swing? If you are already paying thousands they should replace the entire door since changing the hinges would be unsightly. One of our 9' sliders was built wrong and they had to replace it. These were $3K each 20 years ago.

• HU-514309045
    2 months ago

We had these windows installed in our brand new home 9 years ago at the suggestion of our realtor to "enhance resale". The custom builder told us not to do it- too new, many questions. We should have listened. Nine years later, we have had 7 different windows randomly crack or outright shatter. No one knows why. Every time I have to contact the dealer, who contacts Loewen. I wait months. The window comes, the dealer has to stain it, schedule install, etc. Usually 3-5 months from time of shatter to fixing. And- even though everything is under warranty and this batch of windows (roughly 30 windows, six double doors and one other door) is CLEARLY defective and/or improperly installed by the dealer....I get a bill for labor and staining of $400-450 each time. Plus, we have had six different window handles just break off- metal fatigue. We live in Florida- we hardly open the windows! Same nonsense- I pay to replace defective junk. If I could go back in time I would never have wasted the premium money for a product that has been an annual headache.

• HU-884002860
    last month

Wow! I have personally installed 1000’s of door and windows. By far the best were Loewen hands down. I don't ever recall any real complaints. People can be rough and damage things Also screws can come loose over time and need adjustment.

In my own home I have 30 units that are 30 years old. I replaced 1 winder which finally wore out with all the work it has done over the years. A good lifespan.

Only 4 seals have failed now and I plan to wait for the rest to fail before replacing as the frames are still in great shape!

We took care of them and they were installed properly in all respects!

By the way I live in Canada where the weather can be extreme!

Consider the source when reading. Many have no real knowledge and just like to complain!

I’ve seen a lot of windows….

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last month
    last modified: last month

I was considering the source before I got to that part about consider the source.

• lshiffri
    29 days ago

Holy crap. What an ego HU-884002860 has. Just like Loewen - assuming the end user is always wrong. If you can't be polite then get off this thread. If my windows were great I wouldn't have had to spend over $16,000 to install new glass on the weather side of my house. If they were great, the windows on the other side wouldn't now be leaking between the panes. If they were great the hardware on one of my sliders wouldn't now be broken so that I either have to spend $4,000 to replace it or tie the handles together as a "lock". I could go on but that might be perceived as whining.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths