Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mm11_gw

Builder's grade sliding patio doors

mm11
11 years ago

I need to replace an existing slider and would like some input.

My budget is very limited; I can't spend more than $600 to $650. I know that puts me into builder's grade territory, and there's not a lot of options at this price point.

I priced a Jeld-wen door at Lowe's- $658, less 10% discount. LowE-366 glass, argon filled, vinyl, Energy Star rated. I don't have a model number for this door on my paperwork.

The other option I'm considering is this MasterPiece door from HD- attaching a link below.

Thanks for the help- Mike

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202339614?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202954863&N=5yc1vZarqn&R=202339614#.UWjB7Tc5UmU

Comments (11)

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

For that price, you are better off covering your existing door with a tarp. For 650 you will barely get a very cheaply made home depot or lowes specal.
    Save your money and invest your money wisely with a quality product and an installer who actually knows what he is doing.

• mm11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I know that the quality of the installation is very important- my neighbor is a master carpenter and he's going to help me.

I don't have the funds to spend on a higher end slider. The existing door is not rolling in the track and will not close properly, so I need to replace it in the next several weeks.

Any input as to which door is better?

I also got a quote from Lowe's for a slider from United Window and Doors, Model 3131. LowE glass, argon filled, vinyl, for $720.

Is this worth $100+ more than the other 2 doors?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I tend to agree with mmarse, but all things being unequal if I had to choose from those choices I would (ugh, never thought I would utter these words) I would probably choose the Jeldwen. Now don;t take this as an endorsement of Jeldwen as they are quite low on the food chain in my honest opinion.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Gerkin has a nice vinyl slider in that range, you may be able to find some other brands that are better for just a little more.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Obviously that price is not included installation, correct?
    You still won't get anything to write home about, but I'd highly recommend going to a local builder supply house like ABC supply, Allied Building products, or something along those lines. Haven't checked on pricing lately, but you might be able to get a Plygem/Great lakes door around that price.
    Stay away from the big boxes at all costs.

• mm11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, around $600 is just for the door. I'd spend a little more if I thought the quality of the door was better. I don't want to waste my money on a piece of junk, but I simply cannot afford to drop a ton of cash on this project.

I'll call around tomorrow to Allied and ABC and see if they carry any products in my price range.

What is a good way to demo the existing door? I haven't opened up the wall or started ripping anything out yet, but I'm guessing the existing door was installed with a nail fin. It's probably going to be a pain to remove.

Thanks again for the advice

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Demo is going to depend largely upon how the existing unit is installed. We can probably give a little more insight with a pic for both the interior and exterior.

• George Pouliot
    7 years ago

I would choose the American craftsman by anderson. Wouldn't take a jeldwen or even a pella if it were free. At 698 and with blinds between the glass. A better value

• millworkman
    7 years ago

George, this is a 3 year old post and truthfully American Craftsman is hugging the bottom of the barrel along with Pella and Jeldwen and more than likely just beneath.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hey brennan

you know that we have rules regarding spam. You come across as sleazy and shady with links to your site. Smarten up and stop spamming or else you will be banned from the site.