Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103024

Marvin Clad Ultimate Hi-Transparency Screens Not

User
10 years ago

I installed last year 3 Marvin Clad Ultimate Casement windows. They are fantastic, and really were put to the test this winter which has been so brutal (Chicago). I am going to be replacing two more of my casement windows this spring with the Marvin Clad Ultimates. The only thing I haven't been happy about are the charcoal hi-transparency screens with wood surround. They aren't hi-transparency at all, though the mesh is indeed very fine. Because they are charcoal, the screens look really dark on my new windows.

I removed the screens for the winter so I can have clear bright windows, but will have to put them on for the summer. I have to say, my old windows' 25-year-old clunky screens were less visible than the new Marvins' "hi-transparency" screens. So for my planned window replacements this spring, are there any other choices for screens for the Marvin Clad Ultimate casements? Do I need to go custom somehow? Why on earth did Marvin color their screens charcoal?

Comments (7)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Eastbay10. Retractable screens might be a solution. The two casement windows are tall and narrow - 24" x 73". Can retractable screens be installed on windows that narrow? How much ballpark would the retractable screens add to the cost?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

They are indicated as an option in this case and what vendor "x" will charge for them is somewhat up to them.

They are not a "need" item and more of a "want". Typically when you get into the "want" items, you tend to pay a bit more for those guys.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

"Roughly" they add about $150 each to the cost of the wood framed screen and they are available up to 72" tall. What I do see on a window that tall and narrow is that you have a tendency to grab the window low to slide it and it is very unstable. It needs to slide from the middle. Just remember that if you do order them.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If 72" is the maximum height for retractable screens, then I can't get them because the two windows will be 73" tall. I also saw on the Marvin website "bright aluminum wire" screens as a choice instead of charcoal hi-transparency. Has anyone seen these, and can tell me whether these are less visible than the charcoal hi-transparency?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin Ultimate Casements Screen Options

• susan62
    7 years ago

Hey Sahmmy...did you ever learn more about these screen options? We are going to purchase a Marvin patio door and trying to decide on a screen. From the 2 in square samples we saw the "bright aluminum wire" looks much better in terms of transparency than the "charcoal hi-transparency".. but who knows when it is a screen that is 4' x 7'? Would love to know your outcome! (We are also considering retractable screens but we have a four panel configuration that may complicate that).

• ef_houseman
    7 years ago

Most window companies use Phifer UltraVue mesh for their "high transparency" screens. You can get a sample from Home Depot and compare it to standard charcoal mesh. You may not see much of a difference from 5 feet away, but look at both screens from 15 feet and the UltraVue screen will be nearly invisible.

Not all companies will use UltraVue on a door screen, however (because the mesh is delicate and not feasible for large sizes). So they may have substituted Phifer BetterVue, which is still better than standard charcoal, but not nearly as transparent as UltraVue.

The same principle applies to retracting screens -- companies are very reluctant to use lighter mesh on a retracting screen, because it is very delicate and can get twisted up when it rolls back into the tube.