Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows for New Construction in N. FL

Posted by tallytomatoe (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 11:06

I've been getting quotes for different brands of windows from YKK, Andersen, Jeld Wen and Moss. Can anyone knowledgeable weed through all the BS and tell me what a good window at a good price is? House is not on the coast and we want single hung. Vinyl, aluminum, wood, whatever we just want a good quailty window that functions well and will last without spending a fortune. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows for New Construction in N. FL

You're gonna want to look at the thermal and structural performance ratings to compare. PGT and Gorell are a couple of the better choices down there.

o

Thanks HS. I looked up PGT and Gorell. PGT has dealer in town (Tallahassee) but the closet Gorell dealer is about 2.5 hours away. I'm talking to the PGT guy later today. Are there minimum thermal and structural performance numbers that I should make sure the windows have?

o

Code requirements are usually local and regionally supersede the IRC county by county and state by state.

Start with your local code and see what they require.

Given you location in Florida, you will want to maintain a lower SHGC, a high DP rating, good thermals (double pane windows are regularly in the 0.28 and below range), and a lower air infiltration rating.

While you may not require an dedicated impact window, I would consider it depending on where you are located in the state.

o

Thanks washington. Is there that much difference between E2 and E3 coated windows? We are in Tallahassee so a good distance from the coast. My suppliers are quoting Jeld Wen, YKK, Moss (U4 coating on windows they say rates similar to Argon) and Andersen. As long as they have low SHGC, High DP, good thermal and low infil. plus good installer are those listed that different? I know they have different lines but if we compare similar lines of vinyl windows is one brand better than the other?

o

Jeldwen and YKK are pretty much a marginal to poor window choice. Moss I cannot speak for although I do not like the fact that their product values are not readily available on their website and that you need to sign up to possibly get them. What Andersen series are you getting quoted as their are good and bad in Andersen.

o

They can get me pretty much any line of Andersen. The ones they quoted I believe are the Silverline 2200 series. Which Andersen series do you reccomend? I've read reports that go both ways with the silverlines.

o

Junk, worse than the other two. Personally I would use the 400 Series (or whatever they call them today) and that would be about it.

o

Windsor Windows makes an impact resistant window with Cardinal SeaStorm Glass -- in clad/wood (Pinnacle), cellular PVC (Legend) and clad/wood/CPVC (Legend HBR). Their website has a dealer locator.

Personally, I'd recommend double hung over single hung -- more ways to open the window for ventilation rather than having one of the panes stationary.

o

Windsor is no better than Jeldwen in my opinion.

o

I don't intend to disparage either (or any) product, but I'd agree with MWM that they are comparable, and neither boast top level performance ratings or sterling reputations among professionals.

o

Thanks HS, I guess i should learn to be more politically correct and not disparage products either (just an inherent flaw, lol). But as I don't really sell residential products or our company do residential windows and doors.............

o

Time to bump my old thread.

I got a quote from another window guy for the following.

Simonton ProFinish Brickmold 600 White Double Hung: Energy Star Southern; Intercept; ProSolar Shade Low E; Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Full Screen Fiberglass; DP:35; U-Factor:.30. - $11,250.00

What do you knowledgeable window guys think about this line of Simonton windows? How do they compare to the window quotes above? The ratings look pretty good to me but I am pretty uneducated when it comes to windows.

o

Simonton is a solid window.

How many units are there?

Not sure if the ProSolar Shade translates to the Low-e 366 but that is what I would recommend.

o

29 windows total so basically $388 per window if you average it out. The ProSoalr Shade is the Low-e 366 Simonton changed the name on these windows last year to make it easier for customers to select the right glass for their windows...at least that's what their press release says.

o

I would add sash reinforcement to the Simonton window and consider upgrading to the 9800 series.

o

+1

The 9800 is generally regarded as the better looking unit.

That is very good pricing in this case and I would opt for the reinforcement as well.

o

Thanks for the input. I will check out the 9800 and ask about reinforcing the sash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here