Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makinglemonade

Exterior trim cladding on arched windows

makinglemonade
12 years ago

We are replacing windows with arched tops. They are currently wood with wood exterior trim.

We will be cladding the new trim with aluminum, and I'm wondering how the arch should be handled. Currently, our contractor is proposing the windows be 1/4" proud of the trim, to allow a bead of caulk to seal where two pieces of aluminum will meet to go around the arch.

I understand the method, and it sounds good in terms of seals, etc, however I am worried it will look strange with the windows out further than the trim.

Do you think this will look odd? Any other suggestions of how to clad the arch part of the trim and have the trim proud of the window?

Our home, over 100 years old, was damaged in a tornado and we have had to make so many decisions so quickly. So many updates we would have taken years to consider must be made now, and I fear we are acting rashly in order to finish and be able to go home. The reality is these changes will be in place for a long time, and I want to get it right. I have been hovering in these forums for months, and truly value the insight and experience of gardenweb members. This is my first post.

Any advice or experience would be truly appreciated.

Comments (3)