Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylights & Privacy

Posted by jeannie01 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 10:39

My new home is in a planned community - tiny lots but decent sized homes.

The house next to me is huge - with a second floor- their windows will kind of look down on my house. The house is't occupied yet, and my framing isn't up yet, so I can't tell by looking thru their windows.

Is it possible that from their windows they could see into my house via my skylights? I have't put them in yet, so I have time to change to solartube or obscure glass.

What other options do I have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylights & Privacy

Velux offers blinds in between the glass cartridge in the unit so you can be in complete control of your living space.
Some are manually operated and some are electric.
Getting deeper, the technology is presently available to frost a transparent glass by hitting a button that sets off an electric charge in between the glass cartridge and the glass is instantly frosted. Hit the button again and its clear. How much money do you have?

Go for it.

THe Porch Guy

PS: Please don't get the frosted ones, you'll regret it. You loose the sky...

o

Thanks ! I think if I got the blinds - I'd never open them because of being able to see directly into my house!

Would the blinds still offer me a lot light? Or should I just nix the skylights?

o

I beg to differ on the frosted skylights! I have 4 in my house. They defuse the light beautifully. One of my skylights was a replacement of a clear unit and now we don't have a "hot spot" where the sun shines in. I don't notice the frosted, just the lovely natural light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here