Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing Window Quotes - Polaris vs SoftLight

Posted by TheBIGHead (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 10:22

I am looking for some direction on selecting from several window quotes that I have been provided.
I am replacing most of the windows in my 2 story home (22 in all). Windows are white, double hung and are 100 to 120 unit inches. We live in the greater Cleveland area (South East Suburb).
I have the following 3 quotes, all from very reputable and top notch installers. Interested to hear which is the best deal and why you would choose one over the other. Also, are these good prices or do I need to push a little?

Quotes:
- Polaris UltraWeld, Glass=Low e plus Argon, Foam in Sash, Intercept Stainless Steel Spacer. Cost = $12,500
- SoftLight Bainbridge, Glass=Low e plus Argon, Foam in Sash, Intercept Stainless Steel Spacer. Cost = $13,500
- SoftLight Pro, Glass=Low e plus Argon, Foam in Sash, Super Spacer. Cost = $14,500

I seem to read better comments about SoftLight versus Polaris (mostly on this forum). However, Polaris windows have the lowest air infiltration of these options. They are a little bulky, but seem very solid. The difference between the two SoftLight windows seems very minor. I slightly prefer the Pro, but don't think it justifies the extra $1000.

Thanks in advance to all for your comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing Window Quotes - Polaris vs SoftLight

If you are okay with the slightly larger frame width, the Polaris UltraWeld wins that comparo handily.

It is the most solid of those 3 and at the lesser expense, its a no-brainer.

o

+1. The Ultraweld is the best performer of the three, and looks like the lowest price. Easy choice.
Regarding the Softlite lines, The Elements is their top window and the one that would be as good or better than the Polaris. The Bainbridge and the Pro are a few notches down the line from them, and a more accurate comparison from Polaris would be the Thermalweld.

o

Take a look at sunrise that has some great windows with a .01 air infiltration . Proper Installation is key to any window install.

o

Tom,

What Sunrise window is a 0.01?

FYI..the UltraWeld is a 0.01 window as well.

o

One last update:
Informed the installer who had offered the Bainbridge that I was going with someone else; he said he could offer a better price on Soft-Lite Classics. Quote says:
SoftLite Classic, Glass=Low e plus Argon, Foam in Sash, Super Spacer. Cost = $10,900.
So, I have the same question as before, is this a better deal than the Ultrawelds mentioned in my original post?
I understand the Ultraweld is a better window overall. Is this new quote a better bang for my buck?
Also, how is the Classic different than the Bainbridge? I haven't actually seen one of these windows.

o

Stick with the UltraWeld. Better window and the fact that he dropped 30% is a bit cheesy in my book.

The Classic is an older extrusion and the UltraWeld is the better unit.

o

+1 on the Ultraweld. The Classic is Softlite's lower end offering. Pretty dated IMO. Not a terrible window at all, but the UW is better IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here