Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianmeek_gw

Light Impact of LoĒ³‐366 windows?

brianmeek
13 years ago

We're replacing all of our windows and have the option to buy the Loijâ366 glass to qualify for the $1500 tax credit...

My wife is concerned that the more heavily-tinted 366 glass will go too far in reducing the amount of daylight coming into our family-room + kitchen area (a southeast-facing wall).

We live in the Santa Cruz, CA area, where the weather is pretty mild year-round. Most houses are built without central air conditioning, including ours. We're as concerned about allowing the sun in to warm the place in the cooler months as we are about keeping the place cool in the summer.

So, does the LoE-366 window give anyone the feeling they're looking outside through sunglasses?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Your dealer should be able to provide you with a sample of the glass. Put it in a window or dooor opening and look out. This is important as it will not look as dark this way as it will if you look at it with equal light on both sides. This way also gives you a true idea of how it will look in the installed window. LoE 366 was designed mainly for a warm climate.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

If you are worried about the 3 coat low-e, get a version of the ProSolar with the super spacer for comparison.

It should meet E* credit guidelines as well.

• brianmeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice - I later realized that "LoE 366" refers to a Marvin glass option and that other low emissivity glass is referred to otherwise :-).

So, I was ready to buy the Marvin "all-Ultrex" fiberglass windows to replace all the 23-year-old moldy aluminum crap that was originally installed in my house, when we began looking for ways to cut costs on a broader renovation project...

Our GC has aimed us at the Andersen 100 series which are coming in about $2K cheaper than the Ultrex in material costs. Appearance-wise, and based upon the respective speals of Marvin and Andersen, I'm tempted. Not much on this forum regarding the 100 series windows... I've read and believe that Fibrex isn't as strong as the fiberglass that the Ultrex is made of, but I gather that Fibrex is strong enough for the application.

So, can I hear any opinions on Marvin Integrity all-Ultrex vs Andersen 100 series? Is the fiberglass worth the extra 20%+ in cost for the Ultrex?

Oh - back to glass tint: Andersen says low e glass is standard on the 100 series, any opinions on their "SmartSun" low e glass options for allowing in more light? windowsonwashington, is the "ProSolar with the super spacer" similar in concept to Andersen's "SmartSun"?

Thanks again everyone...

• PRO
    13 years ago

Each manufacturer will usually call their glass by some sort of branded name that is specific to them in an effort to create exclusiveness. That being said, probably better than 95% of the glass in residential applications is made by 3 companies...Guardian, Cardinal, and PPG.

The Integrity is a superior window to the 100 series and well worth the 20% increase.

Find out who makes the "SmartSun" glass and you will have your answer. It is also a good idea to compare SHGC and VT numbers in order to get a comparison number of what each window lets in as far as solar radiation and light.

• brianmeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

windowswashington, thanks for your opinion on Andersen 100 series vs Integrity All-Ultrex... I had also concluded that Ultrex is made of superior materials (fiberglass vs. fibrex), but I'm still wondering *why* you say it's worth the added costs if Fibrex is sufficiently time-tested and durable. Also, I'm feeling somewhat partial to the Andersen 400 series patio french door (inswing) over the Marvin Wood Ultrex french door (we're looking to match the door to the windows naturally).

In this case the 20%+ amounts to over $2K, and I'd sure like to apply that to kitchen appliances, etc :-).

Finally, Andersen seems to have a decent reputation and I hear they stand behind their products. I'm also pleased that I haven't seen any horror stories re: the Andersen 100 series like I've seen about the 200 series vinyl stuff... That said, I realize the 100 series have been available for less than a year :-).

• PRO
    13 years ago

Warranty and company.

Ultrex...lifetime warranty. Fibrex...10 years.

Marvin is a more well respected company amongst professionals.

• mbwaldrop
    13 years ago

I just had a Marvin quote and it was an upgrade for the low e 366, the low e was the standard. With the Anderson's standard glass and Marvin's 366, you are not comparing apples to apples. You may find that the standard option on Marvin is cheaper than your Anderson quote. Check out consumer reports, Marvin in both lines is rated #1 and #2!!! I have tried to paste the link for you, hope it works!

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/home-improvement/home-windows/home-window-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, as my question is regarding specifically Marvin Loijâ366 vs. Marvin Low E II (i.e., not other brands' low E glass). I am replacing an old sliding glass door with a Marvin. The sliding glass door faces north, and I am in the upper midwest, so sunlight/heat is not an issue. The only reason I would upgrade to the Loijâ366 is for the tax credit. Marvin's standard Low E II is not eligible for the tax credit. The upcharge is fairly minimal, so I am trying to see if there is any downside to upgrading to the Loijâ366, such as mentioned above, perhaps less light coming in--the room is already pretty dark since it faces north.

Can anyone tell me if there is any downside to the Marvin Loijâ366, especially for a glass door that doesn't actually need it? TIA.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

mbwaldrop

Can you post your user name and password for Consumer Reports so we can all see the article you are refering to?

• PRO
    13 years ago

If you have maxed out the tax credit on your other windows, I would leave the door to a two coat Low-e and get the better SHGC for winter passive solar heating.

• PRO
    13 years ago

No offense, but I wouldn't trust that rating system with anything.

Pella Impervia is top rated fiberglass, Alside Untramaxx is on the list, and they have the Marvin Ultrex on the wood window list???

• mbwaldrop
    13 years ago

It was my understanding that the Pella Impervia is not a clad window, that it is fiberglass inside and out. The Marvin Intergrity is on there because it wood clad!

• PRO
    13 years ago

Impervia is all fiberglass.

Integrity is fiberglass both inside and out but has the option of a real wood interior.

• brianmeek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I thought I would wrap up my involvement in this thread that I started... it has been useful to me.

The quote we had gotten for the Andersen 100 Series included their "SmartSun" glass option, which qualifies for the tax credit and compares to the Marvin all-Ultrex quote we got with the LoE-366 glass. Regarding the tint of the low-e glass, I took skydawggy's suggestion and brought home a sample. We liked the look of the Andersen "SmartSun"; it appears to work as advertised in terms of letting visible light through, and we'll take it on faith that it filters out the more damaging radiation and heat.

The Andersen 100 Series was about $2,200 less as quoted. We felt they looked a bit better than the Ultrex  the seams at the corners seemed cleaner to me (once the excess caulking from the factory was rubbed off).

So we've ordered the Andersen 100 series windows and French door.

Special thanks to windowsonwashington for your advice to go with the Marvin Ultrex with general statements of product and company/warranty superiority. I don't doubt that you're right but I'm still confident that Andersen's a safe bet. By contrast, our GC said that having dealt with both companies on warranty issues, he prefers dealing with Andersen (although that argument came down to an individual service rep for Marvin in our area who apparently earned himself the label of "bozo", so it's not really not fair to judge the brand on this :-).

Since I've not seen any real negative reviews on the Andersen 100 Series or the Fibrex composite they're made of, we're figuring they'll do the job just fine. Fingers crossed.

cheers,
    -- brian

• Jennifer Schulte
    6 years ago

@brainmeek - I'm looking at the exact same decision you make 8 years ago.... how'd the Andersen 100's work out?? my Nextdoor neighbor just did the Marvin Integrity and is happy....