Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximum Vinyl Size

Posted by frick99 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 9:31

We have a 40 year old house and the windows need to be replaced. The windows are the original wood windows and are really showing their age. (I put the plastic weather covers over some of them when I noticed that the condensation was freezing on the inside of the house) We've had a a couple of companies come out to give us quotes and I'm in information overload at the moment.

The windows are fairly large, the replacement size is 48"x65" one of salesmen was saying that they were the only company could make replacement vinyl windows that large. I let it slide, bu it seemed odd.

We also have an opening that measures 129"x62" Currently it has 2 casements on the ends (24" or so each) and the rest is a picture window. The picture window has 2 large chips in it and one of the casements has a cracked pane.

1. Is there any truth in the claim that only a few vinyl companies can make large vinyl replacement windows?

2. We have a total of 7 48x65 windows, the 129x62 opening and a 48x43 and 18x48 opening. We've received quotes ranging from 7k to 30k. The quotes range from one of the $189/window companies to one of the larger national companies. If I want a nice mid-grade, any very rough estimates on cost?

3. Is there a significant difference between replacements and all new windows? One of my fears is that the frames of the current windows will continue to degrade around the replacement window. We have a brick house if that maatter.

4. We are in northern Indiana, just south of Michigan. Our house is in the shade for the vast majority of the day. What type of glass should I look for? I'm leaning towards a moderate solar gain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximum Vinyl Size

1. Yes and no. 48x65 is the maximum size for most manufacturers in a double hung window. Many factories max out at 46" and a few will make them as large as 56".

2. I would recommend sash re-inforcements for those window sizes.

3. The installer should check the condition of the wood. If there are signs of rot, that wood should be replaced. The brickmold should all be wrapped with PVC coil and sealed with high quality caulk to prevent deteriation.

4.I'd be looking at triple pane glass that far north. If I had my choice I'd get a TP with Cardinal LoE2-272 glass with argon gas. With Double pane I'd go for a dual coat LoE with argon gas.

A quality installation is very important.

o
RE: Maximum Vinyl Size

Thanks for the reply.

What exactly are sash reinforcements? Is the sash the top of the frame? And what are the benefits of double hung versus single hung? For the number times per year that we wash our windows, I don't mind doing it from outside. Are single hung windows more efficient, or is double hung pretty much standard now?

Is Cardinal LoE-272 an option that is common, or is it rare to a few manufacturers?

We are probably going to go with double pane, we are looking to move in the next 5 years. I highly doubt that we will be here 10 years from now. Other than an increased savings on heating costs, I don't feel that we will realize an increased selling price for the home with the difference, does anyone feel differently? We are in a nice neighborhood, 1800-2000 square foot homes, but not expensive.

Should I be concerned that the sales people that have come out haven't even looked at some of the windows? They just walked into the room and assumed that they were the same size as the ones they had measured previously. I don't want to get into a situation where they start find out the wood frame is bad and the cost starts to skyrocket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here