Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Replacement - Full Tear-Out or Insert?

Posted by ZeldaR (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:31

We live in a mid-60s build, brick front home. We are replacing our windows with either Marvin Ultimate Double-Hung windows or Andersen Woodwright windows - half of the windows are surrounded by brick, and the other half surrounded by siding.

We've read on the forum about tear-outs versus inserts, but we are still confused.

My original thought is "don't fix what ain't broke," and our frames/trim are in great shape - so go with inserts. But, I see a lot of folks prefer full tear-outs to avoid loss of glass. I am nervous about a full tear-out and water/air leakage, but maybe my concern is unfounded.

Any more ideas about full tear-out versus replacement - given the two types of windows under consideration?

Thanks!!

This post was edited by ZeldaR on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Replacement - Full Tear-Out or Insert?

A full frame tear-out can be rather tricky to install a new, finned window and get proper flashing detail when in a brick opening. Often times those are installed with no fin anyway. That being the case, the biggest factor IMO will be your tolerance for the amount of glass lost, and your plans for the interior woodwork. If you are retaining it and don't care too much about the small amount of glass loss, go for the inserts. If you are replacing all of the trim anyway, the you may as well do tear-outs.

o
RE: Window Replacement - Full Tear-Out or Insert?

Do your existing windows have storm windows?

If so, you will be pleasantly surprised that the windows will appear much cleaner and feel larger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here