Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double hung window won't stay up

Posted by jrschmidt (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 9:12

Hi All,

I hope you can help. I have a double hung window that won't stay up. The tension string goes up into the top of the casing. I removed 2 screws wich allows the vinyl to be pulled out of the way. There are 2 tensioning devices, rectangular steel, stapled into the wood. I can only see the steel plate not the springs etc. Has anyone seen this? If so, how do I fix this... with a stick to hold the window open? :)

TIA,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double hung window won't stay up

You need to remove the balance assembly and either change out the string or replace the balance assembly altogether.

o

From the description it sounds like an Andersen window. Is there a logo etched in the corner of the glass? If so call Andersen or search it out on the web they are fairly easy to replace but you need the right balancer.

o

Thanks for all your help.

John

o

Definitely sounds like an Andersen window balance assembly.

Glass will usually have a serial number etched in it as well.

See if it is covered under warranty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here