Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New construction vinyl in dark brown?

Posted by cork2win (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 8:49

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but we're in "choose windows" phase of our build.

We want dark brown on the exterior of our windows. We see lots of houses with dark brown exterior. Apparently though, the windows we're seeing aren't vinyl because for the life of me, I can only find vinyl windows in white and beige.

Does anyone know of a company that makes new construction vinyl windows in dark brown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New construction vinyl in dark brown?

4 years ago when we looked for windows for our place, we also found only white or beige vinyl window. We are in Northern CA where it can get hot.

The dealers/shops we visited did say some northeast companies will make darker color vinyl windows and doors (dark brown, green) but they are not meant for hotter or warmer regions. Over time, darker color vinyl will chalk and fade in warmer climate.

I remember finding a company (Milgard?) that makes an Aluminum clad vinyl where the outside is aluminum so you get all sorts of colors. Inside is vinyl. We did not see this in person as the shop we visited did not have a sample.

Our own research found that vinyl reacts readily to heat so it will expand significantly when hot and that is the reason why they are mostly white or beige.

If you decide to get the white vinyl windows and then paint over them, please check with the manufacturer first. We were told that if we paint our vinyl windows, we void their warranty.

Good luck.

o

Amerimax does colored vinyl exterior and white on the inside. Very nice windows. Not cheap but well worth it. I got Dark Green and really like them. Have had them about 6 years with no problems.

o

Dark brown and vinyl windows is a no-no. I'd advise you not to switch to an aluminum clad wooden window, or fiberglass window. Chalking, cracking, thermal expansion/contraction are the issues, especially in full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here