Vinyl Window Reccomendations

dt1234
16 years ago

We are deciding between the following (no specific order):

1) Certainteed bronze color painted vinyl windows

2) Jeld-Wen premium vinyl windows, almond/beige color

3) Pella vinyl Thermastar (series 25??) almond/beige color

Which windows would you suggest?

This is going into a new, mediterranean styled home, in texas, with $2m-$4 million dollar homes on the street. Many of the homes in the neighborhood are already using vinyl, so we do not have to contend with the higher prices of wood windows.

If it is vinyl, it should give a nice look, perhaps we can do simulated divided lights.

Comments (14)

• dt1234
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also, I need to know by Monday, April 7th. Thanks!

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

I'm a bit surprised you are looking at mainly mid end windows in a neighborhood of $2-$4 million dollar homes. Certainteed and Thermastar don't offer SDL. Jeld-Wen does offer them. Given only those 3 choices and your criteria I'd go with Jeld-Wen.

• dt1234
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skydawggy:

Thanks for the advice, i was leaning towards the Jeld-Wen's as well due to the DSL. We have a fixed price contract with our builder and our window allowance is $25,000. Wood would have been great, but our budget does not allow for it.

But, practically speaking, vinyl is functionally, performance wise and maintenance wise as good as wood from what I have heard.

You stated "given only those 3 choices.." do you have any other window companies to suggest? I'm totally open for ideas.

Thanks!!

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

I normally try to avoid recommending a specific window because I think the final choice has quite a bit to do with personal preferences and budget considerations. Perhaps I can give you some direction.

How many windows are you planning to install and what style are you leaning towards? In what part of the country do you live? How important are SDL's? Are you planning on having them installed through a G.C. or an installer experienced with the specific window you choose?

• dt1234
    Original Author
    16 years ago

80 windows. A fair amount of them are arched top. Some are large, 8-10 feet x 4 feet. Casement style is our preference. Mediterranean home. Texas (lots of sun/heat). SDL's definitely look better, but I hope they would not be too much more than non SDL's. Installed by an independent installer experienced i believe, but going through a GC.

Thanks

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

If the G.C is offering to install 80 Jeld-Wen, double pane, Low E glass, including SDL, that's the way I'd go.

I'd also recommend upgrading to the Cardinal Low E3-366 glass. It will cost more initially but, with that many windows it's worth the additional cost in the long run. Think about energy prices in 10 years!

• dt1234
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another thing,

some of the larger windows may not make Jeld-wens cutoff for maximum sizes of glass. Do you know of a quality window manufacturer that can go 40+ sq. feet per window in vinyl?

thanks

• sean_2008
    16 years ago

I would recommend Amerimax Vinyl Windows if they are available in your area. They have plants in Colorado and California. Very good window. Of the 3 windows your listed I would not chose any of them. Both Jeldwen and Pella are bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Certainteed is considered better quality but the company just got sold last year so who knows what they will be doing with their current window lines.

• bryandwp
    15 years ago

I would agree with sean2008 that Amerimax are very good windows. Amerimax vinyl windows are priced pretty good and you get all the bells and whistles.

• surfsidebuilders
    15 years ago

Vinyl is the worst possible choice you can make when it comes to choosing a window. Why would you choose to put a plastic product in a whole that is supposed to protect your home from the environment and the elements. Read the following which cites 137 third party comments from universities, Gov't. agencies etc. on the downfalls of putting vinyl windows in your home. Think about it, it's plastic!!!! Don't be a cheapscape when it comes to your home. And don't be stupid and listen to the hype some salesman pitches you. Read and educate yourself!!!

137 Things Window Companies
    Wonft Tell You About Vinyl
    Manufacturers spend millions in propaganda to
    convince consumers to buy vinyl.
    If you are a typical homeowner blessed
    with a visit from your local vinyl window
    salesman, youÂfve probably heard
    things like: ÂgOur vinyl windows will last
    forever. We have a double lifetime
    warranty. Nobody beats our prices.Âh
    Window dealers sell vinyl, not because
    they are so good, but because the PROFITS
    are huge.
    This article is a compilation of FACTS
    derived from many sources such as
    books, magazines, and mostly the internet.
    Once you have researched vinyl for
    yourself, youÂfll think twice before
    falling for the sales pitch and putting
    poor quality materials on your home.
    My confession:
    I made over $100,000 per year selling
    plastic windows and siding to unwary
    homeowners. As an independent contractor
    selling for one or more dealers, I
    could make thousands on one job by
    simply getting a signature on a
    contract. If I was making that kind of
    money as a salesman, what do you think
    the dealer was making?
    There were many well scripted sales
    ÂgpitchesÂh. I was the Marketing Director
    or Advertising Manager. If you let us
    use your home for a model or show
    home, weÂfll give you a special deal.
    The fact is that if you spend more
    than about $250 for most installed
    vinyl windows, you paid too
    much!
    Vinyl framed ÂgreplacementÂh windows being removed after only four years of
    use. Twisted frames on a southwest exposure.
    Conviction Brings Integrity
    At first, I believed what my company told me about vinyl.
    ÂgVinyl is finalÂh. It would last forever. Homeowners would pay
    upwards of $600 to $1000 for an installed window because the
    product was so good. After all, we are giving them a Âglifetime
    warrantyÂh.
    It wasnÂft until a couple of years into it that my eyes were
    opened. Customers were calling all the time about their windows
    sticking, water or air coming in, or asking why their
    white windows started turning yellow? And because we were
    just the ÂgdealerÂh we deferred all the complaints to the manufacturer.
    Unfortunately that vinyl window manufacturer went out
    of business and so much for the Âglifetime warrantyÂh.
    I decided to do my homework and really find out the technology
    behind vinyl. What was found is astonishing! It didnÂft take
    long before I knew that not only would I never sell vinyl again,
    but I would never even put the product on my own homeÂcfor
    any price!
    1 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2005
    Who says that vinyl windows
    can warp, twist, bow, crack, turn
    brittle, fade and discolor under
    sunlight?
    Vinyl framed window after a brief hail storm.
    2 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2005
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Government
    U.S. Dept. of Energy - Four times since 1994, the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
    consumer fact sheet on windows, stated that vinyl windows can warp, twist, bow, fade and crack.
    2002 - ÂgVinyl frames are not very rigid. Vinyl windows with large openings usually require an internal metal extrusion
    to make the frame stiffer. This can lower the frames R-Value significantly. Vinyl window frames can also
    soften, warp and twist if heat builds up within the frame. In hot sunny climates, direct exposure to sunlight is not
    recommended.Âh
    Canadian Dept. of Natural Resources Consumer Guide 2005 - ÂgThe disadvantages of vinyl framing material is
    that vinyl expands and contracts with temperature. Opening up cracks for air leakage.Âh
    Canadian Centre for Energy Technology 2005 - ÂgUnreinforced PVC window profiles have a lack of rigidity and a
    high coefficient of expansion. PVC profiles are subject to distortion.Âh
    National Research Council Canada website 2006 - ÂgBecause of the plastics high coefficient of expansion, dark
    colors may cause excessive distortion. The high coefficient of thermal expansion has to be taken into account in the
    decision of the window. In cold climate, contraction of the window frame will enlarge the width of the joint with the
    wall.Âh
    Germany EPA 2003 - ÂgThe average lifetime of a PVC window is 15 years.Âh
    North-rthn.org Canadian Research and Technology in
    Housing 2005 - ÂgPVC is too brittle in cold conditions and
    breaks easily. PVC is not as stiff as wood. It is recommended
    that PVC frames have metal reinforcements provided. PVC
    can also experience significant dimensional changes under
    temperature differentials.Âh
    Canadian Institute of Research in Construction
    Website 2006 - ÂgTo increase the rigidity of a large PVC
    window sash, a steel reinforcement is inserted. In cold climates,
    the coefficient of thermal expansion has to be taken
    into account. Contraction of the window frame will enlarge
    the width of the joint with the wall.Âh
    The only people promoting vinyl
    windows are those who profit
    from it.
    The vinyl warranties tell the truth.
    Read the fine print. Almost none cover
    warping, twisting, bowing or
    UV breakdown.
    Common vinyl window installation.
    3 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Government
    Canadian Centre for Energy Technology, Study of Long Term Performance of Operating Windows -
    ÂgAir leakage in vinyl windows increased 136%, significantly more than aluminum or wood. Unreinforced PVC
    profiles have a lack of rigidity and a high coefficient of expansion, PVC profiles are subject to distortion.Âh
    City of Oakland, California 2/1999 - ÂgResolution to reduce and phase out the use of PVC (vinyl) recommends
    non-PVC alternatives.Âh
    Dutch EPA 1997 - ÂgPVC windows are not regarded as a favorable material for windows under sustainable
    constructions programs.Âh
    OEAKF Austria, The Standardization of PVC Window Frame Recycling 1997 - Âg60 tons of PVC (vinyl)
    window frames are collected each year. PVC window frames are taken back for free if the customer buys wood
    windows to replace them. The cost of recycling is paid by the manufacturer.Âh
    Ireland Dept. of Energy 1998 - ÂgPassed an initiative to eliminate the use of all PVC in windows and doors.Âh
    U.S. Senate Committee of the Environment 4/2004 - ÂgThe CPSC finds lead poisoning for young children in imported
    vinyl mini blinds.Âh
    National Research Council Canada 2006 - ÂgEfforts are being made to improve the characteristics of glazing and
    frame materials using a combination (composites), which are more durable than conventional materials.Âh
    Environmental Ministry UK 2006 - ÂgThe average PVC window
    tends to be disposed of in 18 years. PVC windows are extremely
    difficult to repair. The material turns yellow and brittle by sunlight
    and even form hairline cracks. Once degraded, vinyl windows are
    impossible to repair.Âh
    U.S. Dept. of Energy 2006 - Fact sheet on storm windows. ÂgVinyl
    may expand and warp at high temperatures and crack at low temperatures.
    Also, if sunlight hits the material for many hours a day,
    colors other than white may fade over time.Âh
    Warped vinyl window after two summers.
    4 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    One year old vinyl windows being replaced again after severe window leakage.
    Government
    U.S. Dept. of Agriculture - Overview of Siding Materials for Forest Service Facilities 2000 - ÂgPlastic siding can
    buckle in hot weather if not installed properly. It can become brittle and crack if it is struck. Where hail is common,
    vinyl is not the best choice.Âh
    Alberta Infrastructure Data Sheet infras.gov.ab.ca 2006 - ÂgVinyl components can absorb enough solar energy to
    heat up, causing unacceptable dimensional instability. Some heat reflective paints are available, but this is a new,
    unproven technology. Due to expansion of plastic windows, do not form combination units of more than three single
    units.Âh
    Universities
    University of Massachusetts Building Technologies Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl window frames fade, are unpaintable,
    gets brittle and is thermally unstable, especially in dark colors. It expands and contracts more than aluminum or
    wood, or even the glass it holds. Vinyl frames have the potential for causing increased air leakage over due to this
    differential.Âh
    Brown University Website 2006 - ÂgPVCÂfs resistance to heat is so low even just on an average sunny day, window
    frames made from the material emit a slight odor known to irritate hypersensitive individuals.Âh
    Brown University Environmental Studies 1998 - ÂgPVC (vinyl) frames require no maintenance but raise questions
    of durability. Since they are relatively new on the market and virtually untested.Âh
    University of Alaska 2006 - Building in Alaska - ÂgPVC is not an ideal choice. This is particularly so for the colder
    climates of the far north, where greater temperature differences are a concern. PVC expands (or contracts) four
    times faster with temperature changes than does either wood or fiberglass.. This stresses the external caulk weather
    seal. During times of extreme cold, the window literally shrinks away from the wood rough opening.Âh
    University of Kansas, Energy Conservation Dept. 2006 - ÂgOver time Argon gas leaks out of the space between
    the panes of glass.Âh
    Napier School of Engineering Website 2006 - Life Cycle of Window Materials - ÂgPVC windows have a high
    coefficient of thermal expansion, (two to three times higher than aluminum). PVC is very sensitive toward high
    temperature and UV radiation, which can break down itÂfs molecular bond resulting in embrilttlement and
    discoloration.Âh
    Rocky Mountain Institute, Home Energy Briefs 2006 - ÂgWith vinyl windows, make sure you have a guarantee
    against sun damage, peeling, warping, and discoloration. Vinyl expands and contracts with temperature changes.Âh
    5 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Publications
    Lowes Complete Home Improvement and
    Repair Guide 2006, pg. 205-206 - ÂgInexpensive
    vinyl windows have a tendency to distort when
    exposed to extremes of heat and cold, making
    them harder to operate and allowing air leakage.
    Vinyl windows cannot be painted and darker
    colors may fade over time.Âh
    Popular Science Magazine 6/95 - ÂgVinyl can warp and fade.Âh
    Journal of Light Construction 2005 - ÂgVinyl windows have experienced problems with losing their shape as the
    horizontal dimension has increased. Vinyl is still years away from a final answer on durability.Âh
    Builder Magazine 6/98 - ÂgWindows and doors are the #1 source of homeowner dissatisfaction.Âh
    This Old House 2001 - Worrisome Windows - ÂgVinyl softens at 165 degrees. A temperature easily achieved in the
    space between blinds and the windows on a sunny day. Vinyl expands and contracts 7 times more than glass. This
    action can pop seals between frames and glass. Vinyl is simply not suitable on itÂfs own as a window material.Âh
    Bob VilaÂfs American Home Fall 1997 - Top 10 Home Improvement Scams - ÂgThe hot item these days is thermo
    pane windows. Invariably, the low priced version is unsuitable for your home.Âh
    ReaderÂfs Digest New Do It Yourself Manual pg. 426- ÂgAll vinyl becomes brittle in extreme cold. It expands and
    softens in heat.Âh
    Consumer Reports 10/1993 - ÂgVinyl sash tracks became distorted during durability tests. Parts of the frames and
    sash bowed during durability tests. We experienced glass seal failure during durability tests.Âh
    Fenestration Magazine Vol. 6 No. 5 - ÂgUV or IR infra red wavelength of sunlight affects PVC vinyl. It affects
    strength and color retention. Heat build up can cause distortion of PVC framing.Âh
    Grolier Encyclopedia 2003 - ÂgPVC vinyl softens at 158 degree Fahrenheit.Âh
    McGraw Hill How to Plan, Contract and Build Your Home pg. 302 - ÂgThe main drawback of plastic frames is
    that they lack strength. They are more likely to break especially during cold weather when it turns brittle.Âh
    Carpentry and Construction Guide 2004, pg. 233 - ÂgMost windows in homes have ÂgBÂh or ÂgCÂh rated glass. Higher
    quality windows show the rating on the glass.Âh
    Creative Homeowner 2004, pg. 468 - ÂgFraming made of vinyl generally needs less maintenance, but is not a good
    insulator.Âh
    Koones House About It Guide 2004, pg. 137 - ÂgVinyl frames require metal reinforcements. They cannot be
    painted.Âh
    Seven year old vinyl replacement windows. 77 windows were installed.
    The government, colleges,
    even the window industry
    agree. Why doesnÂft the
    window salesman show
    you this?
    6 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Publications
    This Old House Complete Remodeling Guide 2004, pg. 230-233 - ÂgVariations in window options can be mind
    boggling. Start with the frame material. Choose windows that compliment your architecture. High performance
    windows cost a little more but are worth it. In all vinyl windows, the insulated glass may fail. Particularly in large
    windows because of vinylÂfs expansion and contraction with temperature changes.Âh
    TautonÂfs Build Like A Pro, Guide to Windows 2004, pg. 90 & 178 - ÂgCheck the vinyl material to see if it bends.
    Check for metal reinforcements. How long has the manufacturer been in business? Avoid local fabricators. They
    come and they go. Replacement window manufacturers often sell their products with the promise that the new
    windows will reduce your heating and cooling bills. ItÂfs rare to find where thatÂfs realistic.Âh
    Door and Window Maker Magazine 12/2002 - ÂgVinyl doesnÂft belong in the desert. Vinyl windows have discolored
    to a lovely Âgnicotine brownÂh. The donÂft work here.Âh
    Door and Window Maker Magazine 12/2002 - ÂgWhat good is a lifetime warranty if the company is gone in ten
    yearsÂh The number of companies making vinyl windows is on the decline. The warranty is only as good as the paper
    itÂfs printed on. There is a laundry list of companies that have come and gone.Âh
    Journal of Light Construction 2000 - Working With Vinyl Windows - ÂgAllowing for thermal expansion is the
    biggest concern when installing vinyl windows. Regarding the quality of vinyl windows, some compounds are better
    than others. In weathering tests, we have seen some white vinyl that has gone brown, and some light browns that
    have gone chalky. Such color changes indicate embrittlement, which weakens the structure of the vinyl. Embrittlement
    is a real problem in hot climates. The sunlight actually breaks down the polymers.Âh
    Washington Post 4/9/2005 - ÂgVinyl frames are not strong. Vinyl frames get soft and warp. They are dimensionally
    unstable causing warping, cracks, and air leaks.Âh
    Vinyl simulated wood windows warped and leaked on the West side
    of the home causing thousands of dollars in repairs.
    Environmental Building News 6/2001 - ÂgAvoid 100%
    vinyl frames because of their durability problems. Most
    of these windows wonÂft last a decade.Âh
    Boston Globe 11/16/95 - ÂgIÂfve seen entire buildings
    full of replacement windows fail from manufacturers
    who have gone out of business. This happened
    commonly throughout the 80Âfs.Âh
    Window Renewal Magazine 2004 - ÂgVinyl windows
    have negative features. They are susceptible to temperature
    fluctuations, expanding with heat and cold.
    The seals in glass are under pressure and can eventually
    lead to seal failure.Âh
    Why do track home builders
    use vinyl? Because itÂfs so
    good, or so cheap?
    7 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Internet Sources
    Minnesota Green Housing Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl, especially
    when colored tends to turn brittle and discolor over
    time.Âh
    Healthy Building Website 2004 - ÂgVinyl windows have a
    higher thermal expansion coefficient. They can become brittle,
    yellow and develop cracks over time with exposure to
    sunlight.Âh
    American Institute of Architects Colorado, Sustainable
    Design Resource Guide 2006 - ÂgLocal fabricators are
    popping up all over Colorado. They purchase vinyl frame
    material from elsewhere and build windows here. The strong
    western sun can deteriorate some types of vinyl. Be sure to
    confirm UV resistance in warranties.Âh
    Ask The Builder.com Website 2006 - ÂgBuying vinyl windows
    is like a trip through a house of mirrors at a county fair.
    Very close to 160 degrees, vinyl begins to lose some of their
    rigidity. Stress can cause frames to sag and distort. Windows
    that face West in the afternoon can take a beating. Almost all
    vinylÂfs will eventually begin to yellow.Âh
    Window Repair.com Website 2006 - ÂgThe next time a
    window replacement company calls you and claims you could
    Âgsave lots of moneyÂh by buying their windows they are, in
    effect, lying. They claim their windows are ÂgmaintenancefreeÂh,
    yet if you restore your old windows, by the time they
    need maintenance again, those plastic windows will be in a
    landfill.Âh
    Improvenet.com Website 2006 - ÂgI had fixed vinyl windows
    installed on my home. After the rain came, I seem to have
    leaks in the windows. Not around the windows, but the water
    is coming in on the bottom of the windows where the glass
    meets the vinyl.Âh
    Sagging vinyl replacement windows after only one Colorado
    summer.
    Five year old vinyl windows leaked causing extensive dry rot
    and expensive repairs.
    Vinyl expansion opens cracks and gaps in stucco allowing for
    water intrusion and wall damage.
    Before you even think about
    spending your hard earned money on
    vinyl windows, make the salesman
    show you homes where their
    windows have been installed at least
    ten years.
    8 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    A typical vinyl installation in a rotted frame. This window wonÂft make it
    three years.
    This is what happens when a vinyl window pulls away from the caulk
    that seals it to the wall.
    Internet Sources
    BBC News Website 2004 - ÂgThe main problem with
    PVC windows is that it deteriorates with the action of
    ultraviolet light from the sun. It can become brittle
    after a few years causing pieces to break off. PVC is
    often sold as being a long-lasting, energy saving
    material. It will last maybe 20 years.Âh
    Buildinggreen.com Website 2006 - ÂgAir leakage
    through vinyl casement windows increased 136%.
    Unreinforced PVC profiles are subject to distortion.Âh
    Healthy Building Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows
    have a higher thermal expansion coefficient that can
    lead to water leaks and other maintenance problems.
    They can become brittle, yellow and develop cracks
    over time with exposure to sunlight.Âh
    House-N-Home Building.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl is the weakest of materials and may require aluminum or
    steel inserts on large windows. PVC may discolor and become brittle over time.Âh
    Plastic Technology.com Website 2006 - ÂgFailure can mean color and appearance changes such as yellowing,
    fading, color shift. Failure is defined as mechanical integrity and physical performance.Âh
    Improvenet.com Website 2006 - ÂgWood windows must be regularly painted to preserve it. Vinyl is brittle in
    extremely cold climates.Âh
    Builder News Mag.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinylÂfs Achilles heel is itÂfs high thermal expansion coefficient. Darker
    colors absorb enough heat to warp the frames and cause failures. Something several manufacturers found out the
    hard way. All wood windows require ownerÂfs
    BobVila.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows often
    look chunkier than wood because the vinyl isnÂft strong
    enough to be made into ultra thin parts. The other
    problem is that vinyl looks unmistakingly plastic.Âh
    Bi-Glass.com Website 2005 - ÂgVinyl windows move
    more than twice as much as aluminum, wood, or
    fiberglass. Vinyl expands seven times farther than glass
    with each degree. This action can pop seals between the
    frame and the glass.Âh
    Door and Window Business Website 2001 - ÂgUV
    light can break down plastics. Windows become brittle
    when exposed to sunlight over long periods of time.Âh
    Interactive Resources Website 2005 - ÂgVinyl windows
    may exacerbate water intrusion in stucco walls.
    The expansion coefficient of vinyl is nearly 14 times
    that of aluminum and wood.Âh
    9 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    All of these vinyl replacement windows lasted less than six years! Vinyl reacts to heat and cold. In hot summer days, some windows can
    expand up to 3/8Âh or more. When it cools, it contracts. This action can result in a permanent warping of the window unit and water damage.
    There are literally hundreds of references on the internet regarding the
    problems with vinyl. You just have to sift through the thousands of
    sales pitches from vinyl manufacturers and dealers to find them.
    Internet Sources
    This Old House Website 2004 - ÂgVinyl is simply not suitable on itÂfs own as a window material.Âh
    TREMCO Website 2003 - ÂgSome manufacturers produce low quality windows and offer warranties too good to be
    true. Because the homeowner is likely to move before the windows fail, they can offer incredible warranties that are
    non-transferable.Âh
    Healthgoods.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl frames may expand and warp in high temperatures. In hot climates, colors
    other than white may fade.Âh
    Greenhousing.umn.edu Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl-clad and PVC frames on the interior will off gas over time
    releasing small amounts of vinyl chloride, a known carcinogen in humans. Vinyl, especially when colored, tends to
    turn brittle and discolor over time. (5 to 10 years in some cases).
    Fine Home Building Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl fades, it cannot be painted, it becomes brittle with age, and is
    thermally unstable.Âh
    Building Green.com Website 2005 - The Study of Long Term Performance of Operating Windows Subject to
    Motion Cycling found that air leakage through the vinyl casement windows increased 136%. (Significantly more
    than fiberglass or wood). Unreinforced PVC profiles are subject to distortion. This is caused by the lack of rigidity
    and the high coefficient of linear expansion of sash members.Âh
    Healthy Building.net Website 2006 - ÂgWhile vinyl windows do not rot, they are sensitive to both hot and cold
    temperatures, can become brittle and can incur dents.Âh
    Sussmens.net Website 2006 - Vinyl windows donÂft look as good as other windows. They get brittle in cold and soft
    in heat, and they move around a good bit. So youÂfll have to caulk around them every couple of years.Âh
    Myvoice.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl window frames are not very rigid, and therefore are not well suited for large
    windows unless reinforced with aluminum components. Vinyl window frames can soften, warp, and twist if heat
    builds up within the frame.Âh
    10 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    In just three years, these vinyl replacement windows warped
    beyond use and could no longer close properly. The dealer
    was out of business and the homeowners had no warranty.
    When your vinyl windows go bad,
    most dealers, (if theyÂfre still in
    business) defer the problem to the
    manufacturer. Replacement windows
    rank as one of AmericaÂfs top home
    improvement scams.
    Internet Sources
    Arizona Builder Zone Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl
    frames are not strong or rigid, which limits the
    weight of the glass that can be used. Vinyl frames
    can soften, warp, twist, and bow.Âh
    TodayÂfs Home & Garden Website 2004 - ÂgVinyl
    patio doors often become brittle with age and crack
    easily.Âh
    IQ-Home Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl expands and
    contracts with temperature, opening up cracks for
    air leakage.Âh
    Over $30,000 of replacement vinyl windows and siding were replaced
    after five years on this home. We have hundreds of photos like this.
    Cambridge Historical Commission Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows are unacceptable in historic and neighborhood
    conservation districts, or for landmark properties. Vinyl windows are not made in dark colors because the
    material could be deformed by excessive heat, such as that generated by exposure to sunlight.Âh
    Home & Garden Website 2005 - ÂgWhich is better, wood or vinyl? Vinyl has negative features. They are more
    susceptible to temperature fluctuations, expanding and contracting with changes in heat. The seals are placed under
    pressure and can eventually lead to seal failure.Âh
    Eastrow.com Website 2005 - ÂgWhatÂfs wrong with vinyl windows? They shrink in cold weather, and expand in hot
    weather. It expands twice as much as wood and seven times as much as glass. This can cause the seal between the
    vinyl framework and glass to fail. The bigger the sash, the sooner it fails. Vinyl windows should not be a viable
    option.Âh
    American Architectural Manufacturers Assoc. Website 2002 - ÂgWith the role of vinylÂfs environmental record,
    we expect to see the biggest changes in window technology over the next ten years.Âh
    Energy Efficient Building Assoc. Website 2005 - ÂgThe inherent problem with vinyl is thermal expansion and
    contraction.Âh
    11 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Internet Sources
    ASHRAE Website 2005 - Michael
    McCabe, PhD: ÂgFiberglass windows are
    highly resistant to UV radiation which over
    time can cause PVC (vinyl) to break down
    and disintegrate.Âh
    Good Morning Canada Website 2006 -
    ÂgVinyl frames are not strong. Vinyl frames
    can warp, twist, and bow.Âh
    Dulley.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl frames
    can warp, twist, and bow.Âh
    Answers Yahoo.com 2006 - ÂgVinyl is
    nothing more than a low budget option.
    Vinyl, like all polymer based products,
    degrades when exposed to elements such as
    sunlight, rain, wind, heat and cold. Leaving
    the vinyl brittle and susceptible to
    cracking. Not mention, the windows look
    really cheap.Âh
    Ask The Builder.com Website 2006 -
    ÂgMany homeowners who installed the first
    generation of vinyl windows were
    disappointed. Large windows or windows
    that faced direct, hot afternoon sunlight
    were the victims of sag. The vinyl would
    sag under the weight of large, heavy pieces
    of glass. They would sag because the vinyl
    would soften because of heat. The results
    were not pretty.Âh
    Builder Online.com Website 2006 - ÂgThe
    #1 construction defect is window failure.
    Leaks around sill-jamb corners of aluminum
    windows. Fogged dual-pane glass.
    Vinyl windows with poorly designed
    weeps.Âh
    These vinyl replacement windows didnÂft make it three seasons. Thermal expansion
    continuously pulled the seal away from the coil trim causing water intrusion.
    The homeowner ended up in a lawsuit with the dealer, who went out of business.
    Warped vinyl replacement windows allowing air and water intrusion. There is no
    repair for this problem. Where is the service behind the warranty?
    Teaman Architectural Website 2001 - ÂgSolid vinyl windows are the inexpensive last resort. Give them about ten
    years and the vinyl will become faded and brittle from exposure to sunlight and temperature.Âh
    Walls and Ceilings Sourcebook Website 2000 - ÂgThe popularity of vinyl windows has created some real
    challenges with water penetration in the industry.Âh
    Environmental Building Sciences Website 1999 - ÂgFor builders and architects, our recommendation is to choose
    non-PCV (vinyl) applications when it is affordable and a clearly superior product exists.Âh
    12 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    This four year old vinyl replacement window and siding resulted in water penetration and
    mold growing in the walls. Both the windows and the siding had to be replaced after a mold
    abatement.
    The thing youÂfll
    consistently see in all
    these referencesÂc
    they arenÂft trying to sell
    you windows!
    This is unbiased, third
    party information.
    Contractors, architects,
    government,
    universitiesÂc theyÂfre
    all saying vinyl is not a
    good choice.
    Environmental Building News Website 1999 - ÂgWe evaluated all the framing material used in windows and
    advised to avoid 100% vinyl window frames because of their durability problems. Vinyl windows have only been
    on the market in the U.S. for 15 to 20 years. Many of these products wonÂft even last a decade.Âh
    Planfield Historic Preservation Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl has a life expectancy of about 20 years. The plasticizers
    in vinyl will evaporate over time, making the vinyl brittle and subject to cracking. What costs are imposing on
    future owners?Âh
    Sustainable Homes.com Website 2006 - ÂgThe lifespan of uPVC is unclear. It is known that low quality formulas
    degrade over time, breaking up and becoming brittle. Most uPVC will end up as waste.Âh
    House Building.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl is the weakest of all framing materials and may require an aluminum
    or steel insert for large windows. PVC may discolor and become brittle over time.Âh
    AEC Building and Construction Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl becomes brittle at low temperatures and flexible at high
    temperatures. Over time, changes in temperature can cause window-frame materials to bend and twist leading to
    seal failure.Âh
    Journal of Light Construction Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows have experienced problems with losing their
    shape as the horizontal dimension has increased. Vinyl is still years away from a final answer on durability.Âh
    A Plush Homeowner Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows cannot be painted, inside or out, limiting the ability to
    change the homeÂfs exterior look or match the interior millwork.Âh
    Vectren.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl frames are relatively weak and may expand and warp at high temperatures
    and crack at extremely low temperatures.Âh
    13 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    A typical vinyl replacement window install in stucco.
    The caulk is turning brown and brittle after just two
    years.
    Facilities.net Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows do not have an extensive track record. PVC cannot be painted, window
    elements are exposed to the environment.Âh
    Nations Windows 101 Website 1999 -ÂhPVC (vinyl) expands and contracts and can warp due to heat.Âh
    The Home Improvement Institute Website 2001 - ÂgVinyl continues to decline as the product of choice.Âh
    The Brand New House.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl windows made 15 to 20 years ago had problems with yellowing,
    cracking and warping. Wood can be a nightmare to maintain, requiring repainting every two to five years.Âh
    Ask The Builder.com Website 2006 - ÂgHeat from sunlight can cause big problems for vinyl windows. Very close
    to 190 degrees, vinyl begins to lose itÂfs rigidity. Stress can cause frames to sag and distort. If you live in the South or
    Southwest, windows that face the West can take a beating in the late afternoon. Some vinyl used in windows will
    change color in sunlight.Âh
    NoHarm.org Website 2006 - ÂgWhile vinyl windows do not rot, they are sensitive to both hot and cold temperatures,
    can become brittle, and incur dents.Âh
    Windows by Unlimited Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl can be very dense and brittle, thus making the final product susceptible
    to cracking and the effects of ultra violet light.Âh
    Global Development and Environmental Institute Website 2006 - ÂgProblems with vinyl windows include
    sensitivity to high and low temperatures, possible brittleness, and health hazards if exposed to fire. They can expand
    and contract causing the seal of the window to break. In this case, they cannot be repaired and must be replaced.Âh
    Alliance for a Clean Environment ACE Website 2006 - ÂgPVC windows do degrade, are not totally maintenancefree,
    and worst of all cannot be repaired when necessary.Âh
    Euroline Website 2006 - ÂgMost people who have built a home with inexpensive vinyl windows know what a
    mistake they have made because the window frames tend to crack, chalk, and discolor over time and replacing them
    is one of the deadliest renovation costs. The reason is that most vinyl windows need replacing in a matter of years is
    due to the materials they are made from. Typical PVC has material such as lead and chalk added. These leach and
    migrate over time and cause discoloration and cracking that is common in vinyl windows. Many may recall the
    recall of vinyl mini blinds.Âh
    You shouldnÂft need a stick to keep your
    warped vinyl replacement windows
    closed.
    This tan vinyl window on the southwest
    side warped and turned brittle so bad you
    could break pieces off by hand.
    14 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    The July heat created so much pressure on these vinyl windows, they literally
    popped the glass stops off the window sash.
    Greener Buildings.com Website 2005 -
    ÂgThermal stress can reduce durability by causing
    materials to expand and contract. This can affect
    long term window performance. Certain frame
    materials including vinyl and aluminum expand
    and contract at a higher rate than glass, making
    windows leakier over time. UV light degrades
    many materials, including most plastics.Âh
    Simonton Windows Website 2005 - ÂgThe use
    of expandable foam, (insulation) is not recommended,
    (for vinyl windows). Leave a 1/4Âh gap
    around the entire window frame to allow for
    fluctuation and expansion of materials and mortar.Âh
    Windsor Windows Website 2006 - ÂgCellular
    PVC is a vinyl based product. Cellular profiles
    may be subject to thermal expansion and
    contraction at temperatures above 145 degrees.
    Darker colors tend to absorb a greater amount of
    solar heat which can cause the cellular PVC to
    expand and contract excessively. This can cause
    warping or distortion.Âh
    Taunton.com Website 2006 - Understanding
    Energy Efficient Windows - ÂgVinyl fades, canÂft
    be painted, becomes brittle with age, and is
    thermally unstable. Vinyl frames have a potential
    for causing increased air leakage.Âh
    GreenAction.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl
    windows have a higher thermal expansion
    coefficient that can lead to water leaks and other
    maintenance problems. They can become brittle,
    yellow, and develop cracks over time.Âh
    These Âgtop of the lineÂh vinyl replacing windows arenÂft even a year old! They
    bowed so bad that they completely pulled away from the trim and wall. What
    do you think the damage is when water comes into these brick walls?
    Your home is your biggest
    investment. Be a smart
    homeowner. Show this report
    to the window salesman. See
    what he says. DonÂft believe
    all the sales hype on vinyl
    windows.
    15 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Vinyl by Design Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl is not currently specified for commercial high rise due to extreme wind
    loads resistance requirements. Failure to install vinyl windows with appropriate clearance between the frame and
    rough opening can lead to frame distortion, which in turn, can lead to expensive water damage, broken glass,
    damage to seal and inoperable windows. In addition, increased heating and cooling costs for air infiltration.Âh
    Green Resource Center.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl is not very strong and thus requires more frame to hold
    the glass. Vinyl has a tendency to expand and contract.Âh
    GlobalGreen.org Website 2006 - Windows: Understanding the Issues - ÂgVinyl frames are relatively weak and
    may expand and warp at high temperatures and crack at extremely low temperatures. Sustained sunlight fades
    frames other than white over time.Âh
    HomeSmart.org Website 2006 - Home Energy Guide - ÂgIf you select vinyl windows, ask for a guarantee
    against sun damage, peeling, warping, or discoloration. Vinyl expands and contracts with temperature changes.Âh
    Green Housing Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl tends to look less presentable over time due to fading and cannot be
    painted. It may discolor and lose plasticizers over time, fading, and becoming brittle.Âh
    On the House.com Website 2006 - ÂgVinyl is nothing more than PVC or plastic. From the minute it is produced,
    it starts giving off free chlorides, (sort of plastic oxidation or deterioration), Eventually it becomes brittle and
    susceptible to cracking.Âh
    RandC.com Website 2006 - Ask The Engineer - ÂgVinyl windows do not withstand structural wear and tear
    very well. It is not recommended for windows in multi-dwelling buildings.Âh
    American Architectural Manufacturers Assoc. Website 2006 - ÂgThe long term future portends a big
    challenge for vinyl. Vinyl windows are becoming more of a commodity.Âh
    This was the ÂgfixÂh the vinyl window company gave the homeowner when their three year
    old name brand vinyl windows warped. The homeowners had to complain to the BBB.
    Eventually they replaced these windows again.
    Most vinyl window
    warranties do not cover
    installation or
    labor. The manufacturer
    blames installation and
    the dealer blames the
    manufacturer when
    something goes wrong.
    16 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    GreenerBuilding.org Website 2006 -
    ÂgFiberglass window frames are nine times
    stronger than vinyl.Âh
    Door & Window Business Website 2001 -
    ÂgUV light can break down plastics.
    Windows become brittle when exposed to
    sunlight over long periods of time.Âh
    ASHRAE Website 2004 - ÂgVinyl is not a
    good material for windows because it lacks
    strength.Âh
    Plastic News Website 1999 - ÂgGeneral
    Motors Corp. found that PVC cracks, warps,
    and fade too quickly. GM will be the first to
    eliminate PVC from their automobiles.Âh
    Environmental Building News
    Website 2001 - ÂgAvoid 100% vinyl frames
    because of their durability problems. Most
    of these windows wonÂft last a decade.Âh
    These two year old name-brand vinyl windows could not lock because they
    distorted allowing for water intrusion and a consistent moisture problem. The
    standing water became mold. The homeowners replaced these windows again.
    Window Review Website 2003 - ÂgSome homeowners are under the impression that one brand of vinyl window is
    better and less prone to performance problems than another. But PVC is PVC. Would you feel safe flying in a
    vinyl airplane?Âh
    Interactive Building Resources Website 2002 - ÂgShrinkage of vinyl caused gaps around the edges of the
    windows allowing water to come in.Âh
    Health Goods.com Website 2006 - ÂgBecause of the nature of the material used, vinyl window frames also have
    disadvantages. For example, they are not inherently strong or rigid. Vinyl frames can soften, warp, twist, and bow
    if heat builds up within the frame. Moreover, the color of the window frames may fade over time.Âh
    NBC News Online Website 7/2/2004 - ÂgCity of New York places a ban on the use of PVC piping in commercial
    buildings and it has been barred from use in the construction of single family homes.Âh
    This Old House Website 2005 - Worrisome Windows - ÂgConsumers are inundated with ads from regional window
    companies that promise miracles. Maintenance-free windows made of sturdy vinyl that will not rot, pit, rust,
    or wear out. Such claims have helped make replacement windows a $3 billion industry. Many of those windows
    will not last as long as the ones they replaced..Âh
    Aluminum Extruders Council Website 1997 - ÂgA 60Âh long PVC, (vinyl) frame member at 120 degrees will
    stretch over 1/4Âh from expansion and contraction. Movement between components such as glass and frame over
    time can lead to distortion and seal failure, air and water leakage.Âh
    Fenestration Magazine Website 6/1993 - ÂgWhat happens to PVC (vinyl) in warmer regions of the U.S.? Will
    heat turn the framing into soft melted material? Will the windows change color from white to yellow or brown to
    beige? If itÂfs hit with an object, will a piece break off? Rigid PVC is brittle and discolors under UV light. Other
    concerns are wind-loads.Âh
    Washington Toxics Coalition Website 2006 - Microsoft completes phaseout of PVC Âgthe poison plastic.Âh
    17 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    Consumer Reports 10/2000 - ÂgIn durability
    tests, Crestline Vinyl windows suffered the
    most structural; bowed stiles, rails, and
    jambs. Wenco vinyl had the worst fall off in
    performance. Five windows performed
    poorly in the cold; they leaked at least four
    times as much as the highest-rated windows.
    When we dropped the temperature to zero,
    only the Marvin Ultimate Clad, Andersen
    Tilt-Wash, Andersen Narrowline, Andersen
    Casement, Pella Proline, and Certainteed
    Bryn Mawr performed extremely well.
    Twelve of the eight windows tested had
    parts that warped or loosened during durability
    tests.Âh
    American Institute of Architects
    Colorado Website 2006 - ÂgA drawback
    with vinyl windows is the potential for the
    vinyl to expand and contract with temperature
    swings and to degrade in the sunlight.
    The environmental impact of the production
    of poly-vinyl chloride is also a real
    concern.Âh
    Often vinyl window companies fail to use the proper flashing to avoid the added
    costs. HereÂfs a typical vinyl installation. How long do you think it will last?
    These Âgtop of the lineÂh vinyl replacement windows are showing warping and
    pulling away from the seal after just two seasons. They tried to seal the crack in
    the stucco with caulk.
    These newly installed vinyl replacement windowsÂc well you can see
    for yourself.
    Consumer Reports,
    American Institute of
    Architects, U.S. Dept. of
    EnergyÂc Do you still think
    vinyl is good?
    Window Review 1995 - ÂgPricing of windows from
    major manufacturers tends to be more connected to
    quality. Whereas with vinyl, price is all over the
    board. Some homeowners are under the impression
    that one brand of vinyl window is better or less
    prone to performance problems. Would you feel
    safe flying in a vinyl airplane or deep sea fishing in
    a vinyl boat?Âh
    18 Homeowners Defense League ÂÂ 2006
    Vinyl Window Facts
    So, hereÂfs a question to ponderÂc
    If the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Canadian Government, Consumer
    Reports, Industry Experts, Engineers, Colleges and Universities,
    Even Lowes Home Improvement Warehouse, Architects, Realtors, and
    thousands of disappointed homeowners all tell you that vinyl windows can
    warp, twist, bow, degrade, crack, and discolor
    AND VINYL WINDOW LIFETIME WARRANTIES ARE A MYTHÂc
    Who Are You Going to Believe?
    The Salesman?
    Be a smart consumer.
    There is a better way to get new
    windows in your home without
    the risks.
    Go online and look for proven
    technologies such as
    composites. YouÂfll be amazed
    what you find.
    ÂgThere is nothing in the world that
    some man cannot make a little
    worse and sell a little cheaper, and
    he who considers only price is this
    manÂfs lawful prey.Âh
    John Ruskin
    DonÂft let this be your home!

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

For anyone interested, this is from a Renewal by Andersen site. It uses pictures of poor installlations, pictures of really poor quality vinyl windows and a sentence here and there from publications, taken out of context to try and fool the consumer into thinking the Renewal by Andersen s the only window that won't have problems with.

All the more reason to avoid companies that use this type of misleading information, half truths and downright lies to sell their product. Pathetic...really.

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

Here's some more fear mongering from the same source. In this little diatribe, they try to convince homeowners that all wood and clad wood will rot. Complete with photographs of old window, poor installations and staged pictures.

So all vinyl windows will warp, split and yellow. And all wood windows will warp, split and rot also.

Oh, my! What's a homeowner to do?

• knmd
    15 years ago

I have had Amerimax vinyl windows installed in my house in Los Angeles for over 5 years and no problems. The Amerimax vinyl windows are still very white and work very well. I think if you buy the cheap vinyl windows you might have some problems. When I was shopping for vinyl windows I saw some really cheap looking ones and made very poorly. I also had the Renewal by Anderson salesman come to my house. What a waste of time. The price was 5 times what I paid for my Amerimax windows. He kept saying I would be sorry if I bought the vinyl windows. I asked him if vinyl is so bad and won't last where are the class action lawsuits? I think lawyers would have jumped all over this if it was true that vinyl will go bad.

• worthy
    13 years ago

I just had to drag up this old thread because of the vinyl-windows.org post above.

At first, this appears to be an impressive "consumer protection" site. But as soon as you start Google-checking the alleged references, it gets curious.

Lots of the quotes, which supposedly come from well-known sources, only show up on the site itself. It's possible they were never on the Web or have been taken down.

But check this bit of selective axe-grinding--an alleged quote from the University of Massachusetts Building and Construction Technology site: "Vinyl window frames fade, are unpaintable, becomes (sic) brittle and is thermally unstable, especially in dark colors. It expands and contracts more than aluminum or wood, or even the glass it holds. Vinyl frames have the potential for causing increased air leakage due to this differential."

Here's the actual quote: "The knock on vinyl is it fades, is unpaintable, gets brittle and is thermally unstable (especially dark colors). It expands and contracts more than wood, aluminum, and even the glass it holds. Vinyl frames have the potential for causing increased air leakage over time because of this differential movement."

What this reworking does is to change reporting ("the knock on") into conclusions ("Vinyl window frames fade, are unpaintable....") and ascribe it to a prominent authority writing for a prominent institution.

But viny-lwindows.org omits the following comments from author Professor Paul Fisette

"Richard Walker, Technical Director of the American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA), is quick to say, 'Vinyl windows are built with this movement in mind and failures have not been recorded to cause concern.' Good advice is: specify light-colored vinyl windows with heat-welded corners.

"The pigments that go into paint are almost identical to those that go into vinyl, but vinyl's color goes all the way through. Walker claims, 'A little rub-down with Soft Scrub or one of the products on our [AAMA] list of recommended cleaners will bring vinyl back to its original brilliance.' AAMA has a vinyl profile certification program where more than 2000 vinyl windows are certified for dimensional stability, heat resistance and outdoor weathering. The outdoor weathering is conducted in Florida, Kentucky and Arizona for a 2-year period after which color readings are taken. I tried the "Soft Scrub" test and was impressed with how much brighter aged vinyl got. Not the original color to be sure, but a marked and acceptable improvement was noted."

For a better balanced review of vinyl windows take a look at Daniel Friedman's Inspectapedia comments.