Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpurls

Pro-Via storm door

PinkPurls
11 years ago

Hi all!

I am in the process of researching my storm door options to replace my raggedy old storm door.

What I have is probably from the 60s, is ugly, is broken and won't auto close anymore, has zero insulation or weatherstripping and the "lock" on it is a hook and eye latch. It has lived its useful life and is ready to go on to the recycling center in the sky.

Our front door is a 15-light french door and I don't think it is 1924 original, but I love it. But it is also totally inefficient for keeping the heat in, so the new storm door needs to be good. And I want a deadbolt because I live in the city.

So, we have a quote on a ProVia 396, coal black with satin nickel hardware. Not the fanciest, not the cheapest model. Has all my features. Will look fantastic with my freshly painted front door (sherwin williams "radish"). The cost for door and to install is $600 and that was about $1-200 more than I wanted to pay, BUT I was also looking at big box doors and I realize this is much better quality.

I'm in the upper Midwest, not Chicago, so is this a competitive price? This does include hauling away the crappy old door, futzing to get the new one level (my house has settled, the whole street is um...quirky) so this requires skill and the contractor checks out well on Angie's List.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I will have many more window questions soon. My house is from 1924 with all the original windows. Oy. 28 of them (and probably 4 more covered over with the siding and paneling...probably the leaded glass ones!)

Comments (5)