Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snookums_gw

Can we replace windows without having to replace shutters?

snookums
14 years ago

Our house is 11 years old and our windows are failing one by one, getting moisture in between the panes. We had about 4 of them replaced by our new home warranty, but that expired in July. It's about $350 per double pane (with two panes on each window, so $700 per window) to replace by our local glass shop. So, at this point, it might be more cost-effective to just replace all or some of the windows.

We have inside-mount plantation shutters throughout the house - every window - that cost us a pretty penny and we do NOT want to have to replace them. Can windows be replaced without affecting the interior structure of the window, so the shutters can stay in place and not have to be replaced? If so, can you direct me to where/what kind of windows these are, and about how much they run?

If it helps, the exterior of our house is stucco, the interior had no sill or trim, but with the inside-mount shutters it now has trim that sit inside the window box. There is drywall up to the actual window, I'm assuming sealing in part of that window. These shutters CAN be removed and put back (though I'd prefer not to), but I need them to still fit once the new windows are put in. The kind of windows my parents put in have trim that extend inside the house so that kind won't work if the shutters are to stay in place.

Thanks...this is the very beginning stages of considering this and we can use all the help we can get.

Comments (17)

• snookums
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh - and we are in Southern California, and the shutters are Sunburst Shutters. Not sure what kind of windows we have now but piece-of-junk brand.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    14 years ago

The only time that I have this done successfully was in the replacement of old wood windows with a "block" framed (no fin)window where the jamb was minimally disturbed.
    In southern California you probably have old aluminum windows. If you replace them with new wood windows, your answer is no. If you replace them with vinyl or fiberglass (which have deeper frames than the aluminum) you may be able to salvage your shutters. Get some recommendations for a qualified installer in your area and have them look at your situation. Trust me, it is not a unique question. Good luck!

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Using Plantation Shutters will often interfere with tilt-in window sashes.

• snookums
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know that my windows are aluminum...they are double-paned and 11 years "new" but all defective. Our builder had agreed to replace them as they failed under warranty until the warranty was up. That warranty expired in July and since then, we've had three fail and are wondering where to go from here. Keep replacing a pane at a time or just get new windows?

Having tilt-in sashes or wood isn't important to me. Honestly, not much is important to me, aside from having double-panes, ability to lock, no moisture able to penetrate (like these junky ones), and able to keep my shutters. So cheap is totally fine. Cheap but better than what I have now, I mean...

mtnwalton - are you in So. Cal? If so, what company are you using? Is the window installer asking that the shutters be removed and put back?

• mtnwalton
    14 years ago

Not in CA; wish I was; shutters wer Graeber installed by Lowes in this area - KY

• helenjoan
    14 years ago

We are currently in the process of replacing windows with impact resistant windows and our plantation shutters are fine - they did not even have to be removed during the process. Even though the new windows have a thicker frame, the shutters were not affected at all. I think our shutters are simlarly mounted to yours - in a frame that projects out from the wall.

• educator40
    9 years ago

I have expensive inside mount shutters over kitchen sink area....3 panes across. The window installer said I had to hire a company to take out and replace the shutters before installing new windows. The windows will be removed from the outside of the house, not inside. I just don't trust the shutters being removed and replaced correctly after all this moving around. I live in Maryland and the existing windows I want replaced are 27 years old. Is anyone using a national window company to deal with this problem successfully WITHOUT removing shutters?

• Windows on Washington
    9 years ago

Can you post up a picture?

• lenachristina
    6 years ago

I am interested in this same issue except my replacement would be with impact glass which is thicker. My shutters are flush with the wall meaning that the frame extends into the arched opening where the window sits. I have an arched window so it will actually be two windows replace (one rectangle with an arch above it). I would be interested in any updates on this issue.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Any pictures from the exterior and interior?

• lenachristina
    6 years ago

what I'm concerned about is that the rail between the single hung window and the circle panel window above it would be too close to the louvered doors. I assume as the frame of an impact window becomes thicker that the rail (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) is located more inward towards the louvered doors as well.thanks.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Can you get a picture from further back? The section between the windows is likely a framed section of the home that should not be removed.

• lenachristina
    6 years ago

I know they would have to create new bucks . I was told that they would work from both the inside and the outside. Does that rail remain the same distance from the louvered doors and not get touched at all?

• PRO
    6 years ago

If they are going back and going to be installing that same framing in, the dimension should not change.

If they are going with a window that is mulled to the half round and ditching the wood, it still should not extend beyond where the drywall is located now so you should be fine. This would be a question for your installer to be certain.

• lenachristina
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you Windows on Washington. What wood are you talking about ditching? The wood frame in the last photo is to my louvered window treatment. It is even with the aluminum frame which you can't see it from that perspective.

• PRO
    6 years ago

None. That was my mistake. I was looking at the one picture and thinking that was a framed mullion between the windows.