Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does this work?

Posted by pkspigs (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 2:16

We want to replace the windows in our home. Typical ranch style, metal windows, double pane with inside grills,30 years old. very hard to open and close and some have lost the seal between the double glass. We have a brick vaneer exterior and sheetrock interiors with real wood stained casing and sills. If we decide to replace the windows would the exterior and interior be damange during replacement of the windows or can we find sizes to exactly fit the current window opening. We live in so.La.and if anyone can recommend a good quality window beside vinyl, I would certainnly appreciate it. Pk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does this work?

Your original window type was installed with nailing fins that were nailed into the house sheating. Then the veneer was put on. A seasoned window installer would know how to remove them, although some damage to the veneer will occur.

As far as reccomending a replacement window for your home other than vinyl brings you back to aluminum. I assume in LA. the yearlong temperatures are moderate and thus an aluminum replacement window might be your choice.
You see, in order to get your new windows to fit into your existing openings (which is the best thing to do) you have to use a replacement type window. And since you don't want vinyl, then aluminum is your natural choice.

All the best,

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: my album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here