Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davempls

high shgc for north-facing window in mn?

davempls
10 years ago

I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion about my choice for a north-facing bathroom window in Minnesota.

I have the option of installing Cardinal loE-270 or loE-180 glass in the window.

The two types have very similar insulating properties. The winter u-factor for the 270 glass is .25, and the 180 glass is .26. So, very close!

However, while the 270 has a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of .37, the 180 glass is much higher at .69.

This results in the 180 glass having a light transmittal value that is considerably higher (nearly 10%).

Our issue is that this north-facing window gets no direct sunlight whatsoever, and in fact is partially blocked by the neighbor's house and even a large tree.

So, light is at a premium, and as we're also having patterned glass (privacy glass) installed owing to the proximity of the neighbor's windows, we really want to maximize the light.

Because the u-factor is nearly identical for the 270 and the 180, I'm not worried about losing more interior heat in the winter with the 180. Should I be?

But because the SHGC is so much higher, I'm hoping for more light to come into our already light-compromised space.

Am I making the right decision?

Dave

Comments (6)