Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leelee7_gw

Krestmark windows -Please opine! (sorry-lengthy)

leelee7
18 years ago

We are having a custom home built. Our builder had Krestmark windows installed. I've been posting in the building forum, but want to bring this issue here.

We went w/simulated divided lights, vinyl. We would have loved to use real divided lights, but not in the budget. We were given addresses w/what we thought were homes using examples of our windows. Turns out, our super. didn't realize builder wasn't using THOSE, had switched to Krestmark brand--they're made in the DFW metro.

Windows are two over twos. They showed up--look very cheesy-the SDL is just a hastily attached strip of vinyl that doesn't even match the surrounding vinyl color. Fine, we decided to go with them, got used to looking at them (kind of like cubic zirconia vs. real diamond-no, not even that good.)

I won't even describe installation-I'll cry. DH said installation was o.k.--I know better, as I read these threads! but for the sake of the marriage (I'm almost not kidding-it's been rough-too long to get into and would bore you to sleep) I shut up about the windows.

Presently, house is approaching drywall stage of building. One "muntin" popped off in bathroom on cloudy (bathroom style) glass--they replaced the window-said the "muntin" had trouble sticking to that type of glass. Second one popped off (partially-top) on back, covered porch-window rep. said, "Poor application-fabricator didn't follow protocol in window prep. Yesterday I discovered a THIRD instance-this time, front exposed window, exterior.

DH called super. and super sent out window rep. to view what's happening. Our thoughts were we'd ask for huge discount/credit on all windows, and rip this cr** off entirely-just live w/tiny interior strip which is between glass. Apparently, window rep. thought a quick fix was best (without asking builder, super. or US! We found a sticky tube of super glue!!! on porch--he'd glued up what was popping!!!!

DH is pretty angry-says he'll rip out each and every window and toss into heap.

What would YOU do??

Comments (7)

• justmee
    18 years ago

I'd let him rip them out! It's much better to get rid of poorly designed windows NOW and not have the hassle later of having to remove brick or interior wood trim to replace them -- much less the headache of fighting with your contractor/builder.
    Also, if the installer didn't follow proper installation procedure on one window, it's likely they have someone installing them who's not trained. Your window warranty will not cover improperly installed windows.

Actually, you have the right to demand installation of the windows which the super represented to you would be used. It's not your fault the super did not know the builder had decided to switch. If you based your decision to purchase those windows on a representation made to you and/or based on a sample provided to you, then you did not receive what you agreed to purchase and that's breach of contract and it is negligent misrepresentation and might even be fraud.

Does your area have an organization that can put some pressure on your builder? Is he a member of a local builder's association or the BBB?

Whatever you decide DO IT NOW! Don't let them proceed with the house and do not let this go because you will be deemed to have accepted the windows knowing of the defects. Right now you most likely have the right under the law to "reject acceptance" of nonconforming goods, i.e. windows that do not conform to the contract or to the representations made about the windows when you decided to purchase them, and you can probably demand that conforming windows be installed. If conforming windows are not installed, the contract has been breached and you can probably withhold damages from the balance owed on the cotnract price. A local attorney who is knowledgable about the Uniform Commercial Code in your state can confirm this. Be sure the atty knows this area of the law because many don't. Your state probably has a consumer deceptive trade practices act which would also give you remedies in this situation.

You WILL regret not taking care of this right now.

Good luck!

• mike35
    18 years ago

You are a victim of a bait & switch. Whether they did it willingly or not. Tell them you want the windows replaced immediately. These are not what you were told you were getting. Hold all payments until he complies. But justmee is absolutely right about doing it NOW. If you wait, you will be dealing with problems for years and have no recourse. Make them fix your home!!!

• nishendu
    17 years ago

We are remodeling. Our builder gave us choice of Krestmark and Don young windows. I live in Dallas area. Any thoughts of what I should use?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

15 years later and the verdict is in............................

• HU-547482260
    2 years ago

May 24, 2021 Boral Krestmak out of Dallas, TX will not honor their 1 year guarantee so DO NOT use these windows. I had 2 out of 9 windows condensate between the panes within the first year. Curt Davis- the company rep- will not respond except to say the company stands behind their warranty. I email him each Monday but he will not respond. I sent him pictures of the date code between the panes-5-29-20- which is the date of manufacture along with copies of receipt from me & the retailer. All I'm asking for is a replacement window. I'll take care of the install so he doesn't even have to send a man out. No response. STAY AWAY from BORAL products!!! joel South Alabama

• angelhelp777 G
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Noooo! Not another disappointment. I needed only one window to put in place of a vent on a one-car garage in my backyard. My wife and I are both in our 60's, both disabled, and were hit by a flood, wind and hail storm, and then Hurricane Harvey within a 12 month period. When we started repairs a lawsuit was filed against us by our HOA for $100,000 based on lies they fabricated. One of the HOA's many complaints is that my detached garage in my backyard needed a window to make it look more residential. I just ordered and paid for a DOUBLE-PANED INSULATED Krestmark window from McCoys website and they were nice enough to deliver it for free. It just arrived. It looks pretty strong, but it is NOT double-paned and it looks like a pig put it together with hot glue smeared and oozing out on the window and frame everywhere. The instructions said not to use a razor on the window, but how can I make this pig of a window look decent without harming the supposed coating on the window...which IS NOT DOUBLE-PANED! It is just single glass with a supposed insulated coating that must be invisible because I see no coating whatsoever. I have my doubts that it is even watertight and we need the garage for storage and a clean, dry place for my wife to stay a few hours a day while I try to repair our home. My wife's health keeps deteriorating due to living in our mold-filled home that our HOA has prevented us from repairing for 4 years, and even if we could beat the lawsuit, after 4 years of fighting them, there are no funds left for repairs. We have strong faith in God but my wife of 44 years just keeps getting sicker and now just wishes to die and go to heaven. This stupid window is just another nail in the coffin. I just looked up Krestmark and nearly all of their reviews are 1 star for building junk windows. I searched for months to find the right size window I could afford but I may have to return it and try to find a different one I can afford because if I install it and it leaks, it will cost me far more time and money which I do not have. As long as I have breath I will never give up.