Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sliding patio doors- switch from aluminum to vinyl?

Posted by jkpita (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 21:24

Hi,
We have 20 yr+ sliding doors to replace in our FR. They are aluminum clad in a bronze color ( Semco). Since the rest of our windows are also in this bronze aluminum cladding, how different would a vinyl-clad door look from the rest of the windows? The bronze color has faded a bit and the replacement doors are west-facing-no trees or sun protection. I've made list of door mfrs to check out, but most seem to be vinyl-clad ( sunrise, okna, gorell)

Will vinyl-clad hold its color over time? Are there any quality door mfrs. who clad in aluminum?

I will not use Semco again or Pella, FYI.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sliding patio doors- switch from aluminum to vinyl?

most high quality vinyl brands will actully out shine a wood patio door. however, it needs to be a high quality vinyl, if its not, it will warp and leak air like its going out of style. okna make a great patio door as does sunrise and soft lite.
stay away from any vinyl products from home depot or lowes.

o
RE: sliding patio doors- switch from aluminum to vinyl?

Yes a good quality vinyl clad will hold its color, but the brands you listed are not vinyl clad they are all vinyl (which also will hold it's color perfectly fine). Marvin, or Kolbe in an aluminum clad door would be my recommendations if that is the way you decide to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here