Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Single hung windows, metal rods

Posted by bookboy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 21:14

I'm sure I'm making this difficult to understand, bear with me....I've just bought an early 1950s Cape Cod home. It's been beautifully maintained (if a bit dated), one owner, the home has its original wood framed single hung sash windows.

The windows are in great condition, all moving freely and stay in place. The previous owner painted the 'rods'in the upper sash, the lower sash rides on these rods while being opened (I'm sure these are not called rods but for lack of a better description....). The rods seems to be metal, aluminum?
Unfortunately they were painted and are now flaking, look terrible, Rather than scraping what's loose and painting once again I'd like to strip these and leave them in their natural state which appears to be black or at least very dark.

Does anyone know what metal these are typically? Best means of stripping without damaging?

Thanks very much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Single hung windows, metal rods

pictures would be helpful, but they are probably aluminum.

I have seen some old windows with iron guides in them, but only once in my lifetime.

Strip them with a light paint remover. I'd start with thinner or Acetone (sp?). and go from there. Test on a piece first to make sure they don't tear up the rods.

o
RE: Single hung windows, metal rods

Thanks very much! I will give that a try. Fine old windows, great condition except for this, is too bad previous owners painted them and now flaking badly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here