Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmctr

Looking @ Anderson windows or not.

mmctr
11 years ago

I live in Virginia, looking at Anderson 400 series casement (qty 31 LOE with smartsun) but contractor recommends West Window because we could save a lot money instead. I am ok paying the price for anderson but contractor is saying a window is window. We're going to spray foam the entire house as well. Should i go with triple vs. double plane. Then I came across the efficient windows website and now confuse. Need help!

If you could rate them by a number being 5 (best) thru 1 (ok). Thoughts on these windows:
Okna
Serieswindow
Park Ave
Sof lite
Thermal industry
Provia
Anderson
West windows

Comments (15)

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

okna would definitely be number 1 due to its superior design and performance, but i would request their HiMark line.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 8:51

• window_mike
    11 years ago

I dont know about all of those windows but i would not hire a contractor that tells you a window is a window. Sounds like he might get a kick back selling you the west windows.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Depends on which lines of each, but the HiMark by Okna, along with the softlite elements are in another class in terms of performance. The Andersen is solid as wood windows go, not in vinyl though... My advice would be to first decide on which material you prefer, vinyl or wood. If vinyl, you are looking at a what I'd consider the two top lines out there. If wood, add Marvin and Kobe to the products that you are considering.
    Where VA are you? There is a respected contributor here called Windows on Washinton. HIGHLY recommended if he is in your area. A true pro, and no high pressure/price.

• oberon476
    11 years ago

+1

Talk to WoW if you are in his territory, you will not regret it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

If you are using spray foam and other high end materials to make for a well insulated and air tight shell, why would you skimp on the windows.

+1 on running from a contractor that says a "window is window"

• SkylineWindows
    11 years ago

+1 on losing a window is a window contractor. Find a quality well product with good ratings in U factor, Air infiltraion(AL), Solar Heat Gain Coefficient(SHGC). Go to NFRC.org for helpful information. Take your time and do your research.

• mmctr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We decided to get fiberglass casement windows (31 qty), we're waiting to receive pricing from Marvin Integrity all ultrex, Pella Impervia, and Alpen High Performance Products (525 & 725 series). We have ruled out Anderson windows now. Any pro or cons about these windows.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Yeah steer clear of the Pella Impervia's they are a poor window. And in my opinion suspended film technology (heat mirror) is still somewhat of a unknown in the industry as there have bee mixed results using it.

• mmctr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, We were liking the pella windows. What windows would you recommend?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

The one that I had nothing negative to say about. Integrity by Marvin. I think the Wood Ultrex is a nicer looking unit but there is nothing wrong with the All Ultrex unit either. What specifically were you liking about the Impervia by Pella (ugh)?

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

The wood ultrex Integrity is a nice choice.
    All ultrex is okay, but offers no benefit over a good vinyl window IMO (particularly appearance), and suffers in the area of performance.
    The Alpen is formerly know as Serious. They have transferred ownership a few times in recent years. I don't know all of the details as to whether or not it is a major concern, but certainly worth checking out.
    There are some very good Canadian fiberglass products such as Inline that get great performance ratings as well.

• Tim
    11 years ago

Marvin Ultrex is fiberglass, which near as I can tell, is far superior to vinyl when it comes to expansion/contraction etc.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input Tim. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of a solid lineal of PVC, vs one of fiberglass. Unfortunately, what the fg salesman do not tell you, is that the inherent properties of a raw material have just about zero impact on the overall strength/performance of a window product when all is said and done. For instance, compare the design pressure rating (measures deflection under load, ie: strength) of a premium vinyl product vs the all ultrex Integrity. Not even close.
    I sell and install both products, so I have no vested interest one way or another, but numbers don't lie. In an overall assembly, a premium vinyl product is stronger, and more air tight, bar none.

• Karateguy
    11 years ago

lol, great sales pitch.
    Marvin makes a beautiful wood window, and its beauty justifies the premium in many cases. Gotta say that I agree with HS on the all ultrex integrity and/or infinity. No advantage in appearance, and a major discrepancy in the structural ratings. The whole expansion coefficient issue is truly a "non-issue", in that it is negligible when applied to a residential window application, ans proven wrong by the structural ratings that every product tests to. Also, vinyl windows are chambered and reinforced, not simply a solid pvc core.

This post was edited by Karateguy on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 16:39

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

TorontoTim,

The expansion of vinyl is supremely overblown and by all of my observations and research, plays zero role in product functionality and sustainability.