Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larrylwill

LoE2 window glass test

larrylwill
11 years ago

I remember reading somewhere that you can tell if you have lowE2 glass and if its installed with the right side inside. This was some years ago. I know it said you use a flame to hold up near the glass and you will see 3 reflections with one a slightly different color.
I know I have loE glass and I get 4 reflections 2 groups of 2. and the 3rd reflection is slightly more orange from the inside but not the outside. Does anybody know the proper test and the proper results? Can you tell LoE from LoE2?

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

They make meter that will tell you, only guaranteed way to tell.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Put a heat lamp next to it.

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think its cold? Why?

• amber_windows
    11 years ago

The third flame from the interior will be purple/blue if it is lowe

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes its something like that. I have 4 flames and the third one is orange, while the other is yellow. From the outside the 2nd is greenish. These are 6ft tempered glass windows. I also checked the other windows I had installed before I installed the large ones and the 3rd is greenish, like you say. I guess the large ones have either a different gas or the tempered glass shows more orange.

thanks

• amber_windows
    11 years ago

I am not sure that you have Lowe. It's the film that the flames bounces off from and discolors. The color is the indicator. Example: when Lowe film files it will display as purple spots in the glass.

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The center of the glass is well within the temp limits of low E
    They were purchased as lowE2. I also have LowE2 glass in every window in the house and these look lore orangish than greenish although sometimes at certain angles you do see a little green only with the 3rd image.
    I also have a thermal camera.

This post was edited by larrylwill on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 23:29

• amber_windows
    11 years ago

They very well could be. If you have doubts about the glass makeup, depending on the age of the units you should have codes in the glass that can be tracked back to the suppliers Id codes for Lowe. Cardinal glass as an example publishes a great deal of information on their website

• oberon476
    11 years ago

From your description I would say that you have LoE2 on surface 2 of the IG.

Is there a particular reason that you are asking?

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes for a friend. I know what I installed and remember verifying it 3 years ago but a friend wanted to know to check his double pane glass. Yes you are right that is what it was supposed to be.Right now I am getting all new glass because the windows are bowed in the middle 2 in and one out about 1/2 to 3/4" When the wind blows hard the one that's bowed out pops in and out about 3/4" at the center. Its not the header I had it checked, its the glass (tempered) so the company is providing me with all 4 new window glass but I have to install the glass. It was already replaced once by them because after I installed them there were scratches all over them and black streaks between the glass. This was about the time they were being bought out by a different company. They were silverline tempered, 135mph rated I believe. I'm on a bluff and we frequently get 60mph gusts. We did tonight.
    thank you

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Did you opt for Silverline windows or were they installed as part of a new construction project?

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I ordered them from HD, it was during the time I believe Anderson was buying them out. THe wall had 2 5x5 windows and 2 3x5 single hung 1960 windows with no insulation around them or under them and they were sitting on the outside brick instead of the frame of the house. The brick under the pouch was bowed out from the weight. So I gutted the whole wall and replaced it will 2 6x5, a 5x5 and a 4x5 window. The 4x5 is on the other side of the door.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio