Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older casement windows--insect screen attachment?

Posted by genespleen (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:23

Hi All,

I'm in the process of mildly restoring the casement windows in the sunroom of our 1927 house. The windows are in fine mechanical shape, though I'll be doing a lot of reglazing this summer.

With the approach of spring, I'd like to get screens up. The problem is that we do not have any of the original screens or frames. I can build new ones easily enough, and have done one already. But can anyone look at the photo and tell me what sort of hardware I should be seeking to actually clip the frames into the window surround? There is a hole on either side of the window jamb, about midway up the window. The hole is just inside the edge of the frame where the screen fits.

best wishes,
David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older casement windows--insect screen attachment?

Spring pins will probably be the easiest way to attach the screens.

o

I had understood that spring pins pass *through* the screen frame (a hole is drilled through the screen frame, etc.). In this case, that will not work, since the pin hole is aft of the frame. Is there a version of the spring pin which attaches to the surface of the frame instead?

o

Problem solved: looking in all the nooks and crannies of the house, I discovered three original screens from the 1930s and learned how they worked.

o

Good find.

Amazing what we can find at the end of the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here