Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Windows that are currently flush with exterior stucco

Posted by wolfgang80 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 20:22

I bought a house with newish but bottom of the basement white vinyl windows. I'm looking to replace them with either a steel window or an aluminum window from a company that makes TDL aluminum windows that closely resemble old steel windows.
Here is the problem: My current windows are flush with the exterior stucco. No matter how nice the windows I get are, they aren't going to achieve the classic 20s or 30s cottage look if they are flush with the exterior. Currently, there is an interior window sill so I'm wondering, with new construction windows, will the windows be able to be mounted further inboard so that they are inset from the exterior? I want the stucco to roll around the corners of the window openings about 1.5-2" deep.
Will I need to make the walls thicker by replacing the 2x4s with 2x6s?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Windows that are currently flush with exterior stuc

If you want the stucco to roll over the edge, that will eliminate the new construction option as they are designed to be set flush with the exterior framing per a nailing flange.

This is all assuming that the stucco is set over some sort of foam or plywood exterior as most are done this day.

You can use a replacement window and set the depth however you like by cutting back the sill and jambs to tune the window depth to how you want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here