Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need replacement windows or New construction

Posted by mamades (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 19:48

Spouse says we need new windows, as some of the window seals are broken and windows are cloudy. House is 25 yrs old and due to delayed add of gutters for first 10 years, our window sils have rotted and need to be replaced. We were thinking that meant new construction but we just got an estimate to power wash our house from a local painter/contractor who added to his estimate- replacing the sils, and repainting them for what appears to be a reasonable $800.00 for 12 windows and two door frames. If we have the sils replaced- does it seem more reasonable then to put replacement windows in vs. new construction? so far we had just one window company out for an estimate and their price was quite high. We hope to sell the house wihin 5 years but still want to purchase a good quality product.
Appreciate any advive. Thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need replacement windows or New construction

You can replace just the glass with new integrated glass units from your local glass supplier. Measure your existing ICUs carefully and the new ones will fit like a glove.

You can repair and paint the sills.

I'm not that sure about power washing. I think a scraper to remove the loose paint, a little sanding and new paint are more like it.

In any event, you use replacement windows to replace windows, not windows designed for new construction. You would have to remove the siding to install them properly.

o
RE: Do I need replacement windows or New construction

When I replaced my windows I bondo-d some of the sills. For others that were in really bad shape I had the contractor put in new sills when they installed the "insert" windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here