Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do? Keep the same style or put in picture window?

Posted by onajourney (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 19:20

We have decided to replace the 2 windows in our living room. Original 1987, single hung wooden sash windows.
Looking at all vinyl single or double hung sash windows. At the same time, the room is north facing and very dark, only these 2 windows to add light. Thinking maybe it would be a good idea to open up the space and put in a larger picture window. Would require removal of brick between the 2 existing windows to open it up. Outside is a covered porch, so probably not a bay window as it would protrude too much into the deck space, so possibly a picture window with 2 opening side panels. We are only planning on staying in this home for a few more years, is it a smart move to undergo the big picture window scenario or are we better to stick to the 2 original windows and save our money? I've read windows do not really pay back the cost, but do help to sell the home quicker. Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks for the input! PS the view from the front windows would be of a lovely old maple tree and landscaped gardens, so a nice view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do? Keep the same style or put in picture wind

If I was looking to buy a house, the picture window with 2 opening side panels would be something that make me want your house a lot more than if it just had 2 double hung. That is what I have, also on a north side, and with a covered front porch. Mine overlooks the 'front yard woods' and I enjoy it so much.

Show off that Maple tree and the landscaped garden.

I often wonder why so many newer homes don't have picture windows, but instead groups of 2 or 3 double hung. Are picture windows maybe 'out of style'?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here