Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvin Wood Clad Casements - wiring for window security??

Posted by home4sale (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 19:14

I'm having a panic attack thinking about the holes that were just drilled into our Marvin wood clad casement windows. We are building new and have an entire house of new windows. Yesterday, the low voltage guys drilled holes on the exterior of the window (below were it opens) for the pre-wiring of window security.

In theory, I should have known about wiring for window security, but they did not explain that they would drill holes in all the windows.

They drilled small holes (probably 1/2" diameter or a little less), inserted the wired security device, and sealed with Silicone. Just regular Silicone that you get at HD.

Please tell me that we didn't void any mfg warranties. Is this a normal practice?

Thanks for the feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvin Wood Clad Casements - wiring for window security??

I'm not sure how Marvin handles this but most manufacturers will give you a written exception on the warranty if you ask for one. Ask your installer to get one for you.

o
RE: Marvin Wood Clad Casements - wiring for window security??

Thanks for the thoughts.

As a follow-up, we did a little bit more investigation after my original post, and it does seem like a standard practice. I just felt panicky because these windows were my pride.

I still don't know if there was another way to approach the security issue...but what's done is done in our home. If I would have known in advance, I don't think I would have let them drill holes in every operable window (especially the ones upstairs). I think I would have foregone window security in some places.

Oh well. Live and learn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here