Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribs1

Shocked by window quote. Marvin Integrity

ribs1
12 years ago

OK,

I just got a quote from my local lumber company for new windows.

We are replacing the windows in our kitchen and 2 patio doors.

These are the prices we got

1. 48" x 36" bay window above sink. $3475

2. 3 double hung windows 62" x 24" $2825

3. 2 patio doors 72" x 80" $4000

Total = $10,300

These are Marvin Integrity all ultrex except the bay which is wood ultrex. Low e366. White inside and out. No grids.

This includes full frame replacement installation and outside trim. This does not include inside trim which my kitchen installers will do.

These prices seem crazy to me.

Any thoughts? Should I look for another dealer?

Thanks

Comments (25)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Seems reasonable to me. What are you comparing them to?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

That is not really out of range for what I have seen.

• ribs1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow,
    I thought Marvin Integrity were mid range windows price wise.
    The double hungs are $941 each installed? Am I paying a lot more to have full frame replacement?

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

That's not a bad price at all. Very fair.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Mid-range? What are you comparing them to?

• ribs1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm comparing them to full line Marvin Ultimates. Also comparing to Anderson 400 etc.
    I thought a Marvin Integrity 60" x 24" would be about 600 installed.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

The 400 is vinyl clad. Integrity is fiberglass exterior. Ultimate is aluminum clad. Marvin is a top quality product.

May I offer a vague opinion? I replaced so many vinyl clad windows over the years I can't count them. I hardly every replaced aluminum clad. Less than 20 times. I never replaced a fiberglass window once. And they have been out there for 30 yrs.

For real wood interior I would do Integrity in my own home. 400 would be mid-grade, not Integrity.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

You would be hard pressed to get a premium vinyl window installed for $600. I think you need to either modify your budget if you want a premium product like Marvin or look for a mid-grade wood window like Andersen Narrowline.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I would also put the Integrity in my home before the Andersen 400. I would avoid a clad window (aluminum or vinyl) if at all possible.

Sky is also correct in that your budget will likely have to be re-visited.

• DrewC
    12 years ago

Any recommendation of where to get some competitive bids on Marvin for a new build?

• DrewC
    12 years ago

By the way, I am in Castle Pines Colorado if that helps at all.

Please feel free to email me recommendations.

Thanks.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Try this link. Or you couls contact Marvin and ask for a dealer in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin Windows

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

DrewC, I don't see an email address for you?

• DrewC
    12 years ago

I was just trying to see if anyone had previously dealt with a shop in my area.

I will call Marvin on Monday.

Thanks for the link.

• DrewC
    12 years ago

WindowDog,

Email should have been on the page but it is dcfsed70@Yahoo.com

Let me know if you have a recommendation.

Drew

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Why don't you two exchange email addresses or phone numbers and take your dispute off line?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I don't see much difference between the self-promoting WindowDog is doing and the surreptitious self promoting you and WoW do for each other on this and other internet forums. I still wish you both would take this off-line or at least wind it back on the personal insults.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Sky,I recommend other pros whom I trust based on their product, ethics, and quality (incidentally I've recommended you on this board as well).I do not promote myself, and I obey and respect board rules anywhere that I post.
    I don't believe that questioning the motive behind open violation of the rules, or the gratuitous promotion of an exclusive product is a personal insult. That said, you are right, this argument has run its course. Ultimately our credibility will be measured by the content of our posts.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

It wasn't the OP, but another poster, who ASKED to have someone email him suggestions for Colorado, but he forgot to post his email address. I pointed out that he forgot that. You took that and ran with it, as if I'm here to solicit sales but just won't admit it. Purely an accusation to obscure precisely why you are here. Or else you are so anxious to discredit me that you couldn't pay attention to the sequence of posts.

Yes we all know the numbers on the various products, HS. I was still doing vinyl 6 months ago, while the company I was working for couldn't manage to send decent crews to my customers that could install the kind of job I used to do. Customers who trusted me were calling and complaining and there was nothing I could do. I might still be running production if I hadn't had an injury where the tibia in my left leg was crushed. When I got into sales I was visiting some of the companies previous customers and finding out the patio doors had ice on the frames, the caulking was separating, the windows weren't square, there was dust on the window sills. Granted, I didn't see these problems EVER back east. But in the plains and mountain states, high destert states, the wind is frequent and can't be imagined without references to hurricanes, and the wind drives dust and dirt that pounds homes. I've seen aluminum siding with no paint left on it - pure silver aluminum. The UV out here in high altitude is intense, yet we have 8 or 9 months of possible winter. You can shovel snow with no shirt on at 20F and get a sunburn. I slept under brand new vinyl correctly installed windows and felt the cold coming off them. I've seen windows that were installed perfectly square be out of square 6 moths later. Or a window that operated perfectly be too tight in the summer. Yeah, all the numbers are really amazing and obviously very important - but I have my doubts as to what the numbers actually are over time, depending on installation, weather, the home, etc. While I'm impressed with some of the HiMark's features, Like the magnetic seal on the sill, other features like loose fitting foam isn't so impressive to me, and is nothing new.

Expansion/contraction is not a minor issue, and in fact is one of the major issues facing the entire building industry. Yes, in a small window it is smaller and perhaps not enough to create problems. I find that most windows west of the mighty Miss average around 100 UI or better. Of course, the vinyl people minimize this issue. I did also. You can skew the facts however you choose.

You really can't discredit me on my experience with vinyl, try as you may. After 35 years I can almost work for any company or product I choose. I was skeptical of fiberglass at first, but no longer. So I bring my experience and opinions here. I don't expect everyone to share them. However I don't expect back door insults, tring to discredit me. I'm not an engineer. But I've seen myriad situations where windows with fancy stickers from AAMA and Energy Star and U.2* numbers with ice on the glass and frames or dust on the window sills, etc. So I'm not impressed. Quality vinyl can be a sensible option, absolutely, with many variable factors to consider. But my saying that is not enough for you, but whatever.

This argument is like digital vs analogue with the audiophiles. It's never ending. And both sides have their points. Once the music quality is great, the greater quality sound beyond that is not perceived in the real world. Window numbers are like that, also.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Numbers are what they are, so I'm sure that the windows that you saw issues were either manufactured or installed improperly. That is an issue that is independent of the window material...
    This is getting rather drawn out though. Shoot me an email.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I sincerely apologize for getting off-topic ribs. Do you have a follow-up question?

• ribs1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Guys,
    I got a few more quotes. Called another lumber yard and asked for a recommendation for a good window installer.
    His quote came in at $7500. Much more reasonable in my opinion.
    Just have to work out a few details.

• ribs1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deb,
    No, the $7500 quote was from Stevenson Lumber in Adrian Michigan.
    The company I went with was $8000. I went with them because they were the Marvin Certified Installer.

The $10,300 quote was from Fingerle Lumber in Ann Arbor. If I could do it over again I would probably go with Fingerle.

• KarenH-G
    11 years ago

Very curious ribs, why would you go with the highest quote if you could do it over again? We are in the process of choosing a patio door, so I am trying to see all angles. Thanks for any input!