Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is cost reasonable?

Posted by scidoc (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 18:31

We like our carpenter and are willing to pay a little over
(20% or so) for his work.

He replaced multiple interior doors and charged $212
per door labor including trim labor. We paid separately for the doors which are solid core 6 panel "Bristol". He use the old door as a template routed out the hinge locations and reinstalled the door knobs. This work is done. He installed 1 external door for $500 labor including trim labor.

The 2 windows will be 1 Anderson 400 7'8" by 4' three light casement the outer two open cost $1433 for window. 2nd is 1 light 2'5"x4' $455. He quoted $3428 c trim total windows and labor. That comes to $1540 in labor. What shocked me is that he says he bills $100 per hour for his labor. But I am not paying by the hour. His pleasant personality and good work is worth a premium; but are the quotes unreasonable?

If you need more info please ask. I am San Francisco
area. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is cost reasonable?

You just answered your own question by saying you are happy with his work and he was worth the premium.
I'm confused, why are you asking us if you are happy with the work? You can save a few bucks by hiring a day laborer who doesn't install windows properly but that's up to you.

o

That number is more than reasonable on the total and even more so when you consider the fact that you have good working samples of his work.

That number for the materials is probably under-represented in this case as it looks a bit lean. Perhaps there is a bit more labor padding in there as a result of not putting the margins in the product.

o

Thank you for your responses. The reason that I posted
was because my wife I did not attain more than one bid.

o

If your main concern is to insure that he is not price gouging, no, he is not. Within the range of reason for quality and professional work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here