Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrm1237_gw

Replacing entrance door

jrm1237
11 years ago

Hi,
We are in the process of replacing the windows and the entrance door to our ranch house. We are using Marvin windows but they don't sell front doors. We live in Florida and are looking for a good quality door. Most of the doors we've seen are traditional, we are looking for a contemporary or mid century modern style door. Does anyone have suggestions on companies? We've seen some doors from Crestview that look fine but don't know about the quality.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Not so much on Crestview. What material are you looking to use?

• jrm1237
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for the response. Either steel or fiberglass, or mahogany (that was suggested as a wood we can use in Florida by a sales rep). I just want one that's well built, is secure, and in a modern style that doesn't cost a fortune.
    Is there such a thing? :-)

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Look into ProVia, they make a very solid door. Also HMI , if they are available down there.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Agree with mmarse, worst case would be to go with Therma Tru. Not in the class as the above brands but much better than most all the crap available. And Marvin does sell and manufacture entry doors just be prepared to sell your first born as they truly are a high end ($$) price point item.

• jrm1237
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mmarse and millworkman, we'll check these companies out!

• window_mike
    11 years ago

I also would reccomend Provia. I have a Provia fiberglass door and i love it. Also Marvin stoped making entry doors about two years ago.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Ok, I stand corrected

• kay2000
    11 years ago

We recently replaced our 40 year old wooden front door with a CGI Impact Glass French Door with the white interlayer. It is very contemporary, reduces outdoor sounds, allows a lot of light into the house, and is very attractive.. IMO. It comes with Hager hinges and Baldwin lock/handleset. CGI Windows is one of the few companies that has County approval for doors opening "in" instead of "out."

• Karateguy
    11 years ago

Wow, that "review" is so incredible, it almost sounds as though you work for them or sell the product, lol... just kidding, CLEARLY you do actually work for them or sell the product :D... the shameless and dishonest promotion speaks volumes as to the type of company that is associated with the brand IMO.

• kay2000
    10 years ago

To Karateguy... if you were speaking to me, that's pretty funny, and I'm flattered.

I have nothing at all to do with that (or any) company. It so happens that after having done so much EXHAUSTING research on doors and windows, it gives me great pleasure to recommend them. I am a very thorough person and when I read other reviews, I greatly appreciate it when someone else gives such details (hat tip to Oberon). I thought others would appreciate the detail I offered. Sorry if it was misunderstood. I guess it's a good thing I didn't go into such detail with the casement windows and patio doors we replaced! LOL (Same manufacturer, BTW.)

PS: I just looked at my other posts and gee, I am enthusiastic about the product! I can sort of see why you may have questioned the authenticity of my review. I guarantee you it is real. To have had the 1972 old alum awning windows, and hard to move old sliders, and being able to see light around the front door when closed, etc... the new products meant a lot to us and my delight could not be suppressed.

Sorry to have tooted the horn too loud and too often, but it was/is an honest post. Cheers...

This post was edited by kay2000 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 20:31

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

I agree with karate guy. What normal person digs up an old post just to let everyone know how happy they are. You sound ridiculous kay2000 and that company probably lost some credibility because of you.

• kay2000
    10 years ago

To karateguy and mmarse1:
    It is your opinion that a company would lose credibility because a satisfied customer (me) posted favorable comments? That's about as upside-down in thinking as is taking place in the rest of the world today.

If you two are factually aware that CGI had a quality issue, I'd like to hear it. To accuse me of being dishonest because of a favorable post does not coincide with the reason for this entire forum. If you check the specs at their site and at ARCAT and see a problem, post it here and enlighten all of us rather than calling me out because you don't like that I'm happy,happy,happy with my new doors and windows. :-) If I'd have just done a thumbs up, that's okay, but details... that's not okay. Are those your acceptable rules?

If the doors or windows begin to leak, corrode, or deteriorate in any way, I'll be the first to post it here.

I like the product and that's all there is to that, nothing more, nothing less.

Ciao brothers....

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

I apologize if that truly is the case Kay. I see that you've been a member here for years, so I'm sure that you've seen the spammy first posts that come through on a regular basis. Glad to hear a genuinely satisfied customer of a given product.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

Marvin make a nice wood product. I prefer the more maintenance free materials though.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone