Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noise Mitigating Windows - Laminate vs dissimilar glass

Posted by sbkim (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 17:43

hello everyone and thank you so much for the amazing forum and great info! I am a long time reader but a first time poster.

I know there has been many posts on similar topic but I wanted to reach out to our subject matter experts (e.g. Oberon) to see your thoughts.

I am currently building a house in Chicago suburbs and unfortunately directly under landing pattern at various times throughout the month. Airport is about 10 miles away and noises can be annoying.

We have an opportunity to noiseproof our master bedroom and I am planning to use Green glue and their techniques (staggard wall etc) to maximize STC. However, I am still not decided on what to do about windows. The builder is planning to use Jeld Wen Siteline EX (casement clad windows). I know JW is not highly regarded here at times but that is the brand that the builder has chosen.

As per their webiste, they post their Siteline EX clad offers about 34 STC and 28 OITC using dissimiar glass option (1/8" and 1/4"). I would like to find out more about the air gap but have not seen any info yet but I am hoping that it's greater than 1/2".

Now, here is my question. JW is offering laminiated glass option feature 7/32 and 13/32 (??? I could be mistaken by these sizes) and I am curious if they are worth the upgrade from just dissimlar glass option. JW isn't offering any STC/OITC rating for laminate at this time.

I would prefer not to do 2nd window installation for aesthetics and given that the noises aren't that bad but I would like to minimize airplane (low frequency) to the fullest extent possible during new construction.

I apologize in advance for the long post and look forward to being an active member on the forum!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noise Mitigating Windows - Laminate vs dissimilar glass

34 is pretty good and in the range of what most double pane windows will get with laminated glass.

13/32nds if a very thick lite of glass and I would like clarification on what that actually means in terms of the interlayer and glass thicknesses.

That lite of glass could give you very good performance with combined with the damping of the plastic interlayer.

o
RE: Noise Mitigating Windows - Laminate vs dissimilar glass

Thank you for the reply! More than likely 13/32 may have been an error on my part - I thought that's what I heard during my discussions with JW...

At this point, given the high premium of laminated glass, I am leaning towards just doing dissimilar glass. Furthermore, i am concerned with having smaller air space with thicker laminate.

o
reply 2

They are not likely to have an offset glazing bead so the air space will narrow with the thicker lite.

Less air = more transmission, however, this will easily be cancelled out by the additional performance of the laminated glass and potentially thicker glass.

I would call them and ask for the specs so that you know what you are getting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here